Superman The Movie Hd= Fantastic

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

just wanted to say what a superb transfer for a film that is 30 years old.

Detail is lovely and the vibrant colours are so lush that they breath new life into the whole film.There are areas that show some deliberate grain but even these shots are in a different league to any transfer i have seen before.

some scenes are giving the impression that its only recently been shot and that is the biggest compliment i could give it.

As for the sound..........................wonderful, the DD+ soundtrack is as clear as a whistle with superb use of bass.very spatial and enveloping.The musical score is awe inspiring.

Its a great film anyway but now its magnificent.

If you have not got this in your Hd collection then I thoroughly recommend getting it.

Film 8.5/10
PQ 8.5/10
SQ 9/10

yes its good - but I'm not sure if I share the same enthusiasm for it being that good! But if you are a fan of the film, definitely upgrade to HD.

The music at the beginning during the main titles is the business!!

yes its good - but I'm not sure if I share the same enthusiasm for it being that good! But if you are a fan of the film, definitely upgrade to HD.

The music at the beginning during the main titles is the business!!

No its nowhere near the quality of Batman or Transformers but the difference in PQ and Sq in comparison to the DVD counterpart is certainly "that" good.

The score at the beginning is spine tingling make sure you crank it up:smashin:

I have both the HD formats of this movie they're both stunning when you consider the age of the source material.

Transformers and Batman Begins obviously have the edge when it comes to picture and sound quality, but being able to transport myself back the 29 odd years to when I first heard an audience cheer at the cinema screen makes it a clear winner for me.

I have both the HD formats of this movie they're both stunning when you consider the age of the source material.
QUOTE]

Out of curiousity why do you have both HD formats?

That's great! Mine is in the post and this makes me even more impatient to get it :)
I consider it one of my all-time favourite movies. I'm sure it's all nostalgia based as others have pointed out though.

'You've got me? Who's got you?!'

Transformers and Batman Begins obviously have the edge when it comes to picture and sound quality, but being able to transport myself back the 29 odd years to when I first heard an audience cheer at the cinema screen makes it a clear winner for me.

Absolutely, experiencing this in the cinema all those years ago was an amazing feeling, the opening titles still have the same great impact & the movie has lots of magic moments & a great message which unfortunately is lacking in a lot of movies today.

If you’re a fan of this movie going to HD is a no-brainer, the 4-disc DVD is also a good buy for the extra documentaries & deleted scenes.:)

I agree with the OP, the quality is superb. I've still got Superman 2 The Donner Cut to watch. :smashin:

Tried to watch the new Superman Returns on Sky HD the other day...Dear oh Dear, it may have better PQ, sound and more moden CGI fx, but as a film it pales in comparison to the originals :thumbsdow

I agree with the OP, the quality is superb. I've still got Superman 2 The Donner Cut to watch. :smashin:

Tried to watch the new Superman Returns on Sky HD the other day...Dear oh Dear, it may have better PQ, sound and more moden CGI fx, but as a film it pales in comparison to the originals :thumbsdow

I agree, the new version has no emotion.The original has alot, especially at the start with marlon brando and the religous comparisons to the son of man ........"the father becomes the son, the son becomes the father",and the banishing of Zod (satan)

The FX are poor when comparing to todays efforts but the content is magnificent, yes it has its "cheesy" moments but its all wondefully acted by
a great cast.

Cracking film! Every time I watch it, it makes me feel sad at the loss of Christopher Reeve. A truly great actor, and always will be Superman for me!! :thumbsup:

I agree, the new version has no emotion.The original has alot, especially at the start with marlon brando and the religous comparisons to the son of man ........"the father becomes the son, the son becomes the father",and the banishing of Zod (satan)

The FX are poor when comparing to todays efforts but the content is magnificent, yes it has its "cheesy" moments but its all wondefully acted by
a great cast.

Agreed, i think the best comparison between the old & new version can be seen in the Old Helicopter scene Vs New Plane sequence, with all that CGI it still can’t capture that pure magic feeling of the original.

It’s also wonderfully cheesy without being too camp or preachy, Chris Reeve has great humility in his performance.

QUOTE]

Out of curiousity why do you have both HD formats?

I originally bought the HD DVD for my XE-1 but was so impressed with the 1080/24p output from my PS3 that I wanted to be able to watch my favourite movie in the best possible way.

Or, in other words, i'm yet another sad anorak !!

I wasn't that impressed with the HD version of STM. The soft, diffuse photography isn't well served by what looks to be a fairly old transfer. Colours pop a little more and there's a smidge more detail, but to my eyes it offers very little over the upscaled DVD. The Donner Cut of SMII looks a lot better, simply because it's a brand-new transfer.

I may give it another spin one day if I see it going cheap. For now, the DVD will do me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom