Superman Returns - Locking up

BandofBrothers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got chance to sit down and watch Superman Returns HD-DVD on my xbox 360 hd-dvd drive tonight.

Got to about half way through the film, and it skipped for a split second (I assumed it was just a layer change or something?) and continued to watch the film.

However, about 2\3 of the way through the film, it skips and stutters, and then locks up completely, and the drive goes mental trying to load the disc.

The disc is completely clean, not a spec of dust on it.

I am not impressed to be honest :( (got the disc from movietyme) but I don't see what it can be, because the disc is not physically damaged or anything. Must be a duff disc?

I also noticed that Mission Impossible 3 skipped just the once in the film (where ethan is on the bridge shootout, and he slides under the car, and looks up as the drone flies past)

I watched Batman Begins with no problems though.

I also don't like the fragility of hd-dvd's as I got a CLEAN smooth cloth (lint free, and smooth as silk) and wiped one of my discs very gently, and little marks appeared (like microscopic scratches)

If these issues continue, Blu ray may have gained another supporter:rolleyes:

Overall i can say Blu-ray got higher quality on the hardware and media.

I was very negative switching to Blu-ray at first but don't regret it now, why didn't i do it earlier?

Now i can watch Hostel, Saw, Saw2 etc.....

I was kind of fed up watching only Universal titles on the HD-DVD player because there isn't much to choose from....

Blue Ray discs scratch even more easily than HD DVD :)

I was very negative switching to Blu-ray at first but don't regret it now, why didn't i do it earlier?

I was kind of fed up watching only Universal titles on the HD-DVD player because there isn't much to choose from....

hang on mr fan boy...this isnt a reason to slag off hd-dvd against blur-ray. It could be a faulty disc or unit

hd-dvd has the thicker coating my friend...

Other way round mate......Blu-ray discs are more resistant to damage
As for the locking up, same thing happened to me with Superman Returns on the Xbox addon. At the time I put it down to the fact that as the lockup happened, I had got notification of a friend online (hadn't turned notifications off), but my brother's system locked up on him as well while he was watching that film.
Also seen a bit of stuttering with a couple of other titles every now and then, in contrast I've watched 3 or 4 Blu-rays all the way through on PS3 with no issues at all. So thats one point for Sony anyway.
It does seem a general thing at the moment with the 360 addon, (as with some A1 and XA1), so hopefully MS will be able to fix little issues.

I am watching Sahara HD as we speak, and no problems so far, so I think it must be a faulty copy of Superman.

(Its the double sided one, with the dvd on one side, and HD on the other) and I think I read that a few other ppl had the same issue)

I have emailed MovieTyme asking for a replacement etc anyway, see how it goes

Finally got chance to sit down and watch Superman Returns HD-DVD on my xbox 360 hd-dvd drive tonight.

Got to about half way through the film, and it skipped for a split second (I assumed it was just a layer change or something?) and continued to watch the film.

However, about 2\3 of the way through the film, it skips and stutters, and then locks up completely, and the drive goes mental trying to load the disc.

The disc is completely clean, not a spec of dust on it.

I am not impressed to be honest :( (got the disc from movietyme) but I don't see what it can be, because the disc is not physically damaged or anything. Must be a duff disc?

I also noticed that Mission Impossible 3 skipped just the once in the film (where ethan is on the bridge shootout, and he slides under the car, and looks up as the drone flies past)

I watched Batman Begins with no problems though.

I also don't like the fragility of hd-dvd's as I got a CLEAN smooth cloth (lint free, and smooth as silk) and wiped one of my discs very gently, and little marks appeared (like microscopic scratches)

If these issues continue, Blu ray may have gained another supporter:rolleyes:

mine didnt lock up but I did get the stuttering for a few seconds in the same place more or less, my disc was also from movietyme, KK didnt do it though, will have to try a few more titles before judging whats going on

I had to *really* clean the disk. Both sides. As shipped it looked clean but clearly wasn't as it locked up half way just as the OP experienced. After a good clean it plays perfectly now.

Never seen it on any other disk.. just Superman Returns - possibly because it's a dual format one.... maybe they're thinner so they can fit both layers in?

:eek:

Classic :rotfl: Glad you've been able to determine this. How long have you had your BD player ? How many BD discs have you watched ?

Hi guys, hope you can help, had my player for about 2 months and has now stopped playing my blu-rat discs.

Here is what happened i put a music disc in which played fine, which uses the red laser, then went to watch a blu-ray disc, it came up on the display NO READ, thought it was the disc, so tried another and another all came back the same.:

:eek: Looks like both formats can suffer problems.

AVI

Originally Posted by klacey
Hi guys, hope you can help, had my player for about 2 months and has now stopped playing my blu-rat discs.

Here is what happened i put a music disc in which played fine, which uses the red laser, then went to watch a blu-ray disc, it came up on the display NO READ, thought it was the disc, so tried another and another all came back the same

That is why I hate using standalones for multi playback, you'd probably f*** up the laser sooner. My HD-XA1 for example only gets to play HD DVD, nothing less

Saw and Saw 2 are coming to HD DVD too in Spain ;)
Around March 07.

Blue Ray discs scratch even more easily than HD DVD :)

Blue-Ray has a thin hard coating. HD-DVD has a thick softer coating. It is hard to say which is less prone to stopping a movie from playing. It would require weighted needles to be struck accross the discs.. adding more weight each strike. The Blue-Ray and The HD-DVD films would have to be the same movie, and the strikes would have to be in the same part of the movie. This should be done on several movies, and then you should have a winner. Not something that most people will be able to do.

Hey Packetfront

Looks like some pro HD DVD dude has been using your ID :D

BluRay is already doomed, why not just rename "Blu-Ray & HD-DVD players" to just "HD-DVD players" instead?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365962

AVI

My HD-A1 isn't perfect. Superman Returns played fine for me, but had quite a few problems (repeatable in same places on disc) with Miami Vice. After a good wipe it seems fine.

Had no problems with other discs such as Apollo 13, Batman Begins and MI3.

Very strange and annoying at times.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom