Superman: Red Son Blu-ray Review & Comments

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Why does the artwork on all these DC animated features look great but the actual feature itself is so budget looking with such basic use of animation?

Sorry, bit OT.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Why does the artwork on all these DC animated features look great but the actual feature itself is so budget looking with such basic use of animation?

Sorry, bit OT.
I think they've basically maintained the same animation style for over 25 years, and now think that every production needs to largely 'look' the same way. There have been some slight exceptions - Dark Knight Returns tried to adhere to Miller's comic book style a bit more, and Batman / Ninja (here) looked very different. But, for example, Gotham by Gaslight disappointingly dropped Mignola's Hellboy-esque art style in favour of BAU. I would guess they don't want to take the risk of alienating their core. It's a bit like all the Arrowverse productions looking the same.

encaser

Have to say I was underwhelmed by this. It just keeps bouncing back and forth of who is righteous in each society and bangs an old drum with little nuance. The male blight that a certain female keeps spouting is also tiresome and I hoped the man of steel would've used it more to give her a good seeing to on all fronts to fill her mouth shut - it certainly didn't raise my feminist verve.
It was good to see it out on video but fell short in putting out a basic meat and potatoes production. They also often don't seem to know what to do even when they get a 15 rating and put swearing or content in weird placement - somewhat like an experimenting child who has witnessed the big kids do it.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Have to say I was underwhelmed by this. It just keeps bouncing back and forth of who is righteous in each society and bangs an old drum with little nuance. The male blight that a certain female keeps spouting is also tiresome and I hoped the man of steel would've used it more to give her a good seeing to on all fronts to fill her mouth shut - it certainly didn't raise my feminist verve.
It was good to see it out on video but fell short in putting out a basic meat and potatoes production. They also often don't seem to know what to do even when they get a 15 rating and put swearing or content in weird placement - somewhat like an experimenting child who has witnessed the big kids do it.
Agree about the rating. There's little here that would've offended my kids, so why throw a couple of meaningless moments in just to get it bumped up to 15?

And yes, aside from the opening line when she talks about an island full of women, I actually thought there was too much emphasis on 'men' destroying each other in her rhetoric, when really its a criticism that should be levelled at 'mankind' as a whole. But that's by the by.

Still love the premise, which gets it a long way but, you're right, they could've done so much more.

Jokerr

Sorry, bit OT.
Totally agree. Also you sometimes see false promotional trailers, but the actual cartoon is amateur.

Jokerr

Example of good quality cgi animation is Clone Wars. Looks great

Coulson

I saw a review a week ago and she was raving about this being the best DC animation. Unlike myself, she had also read the source material so I took her at her word. My initial impression is that Cas is more likely to be correct in his assessment of it being weaker than the source material. I can't explain it but it somehow feels incomplete. Overall I thought it was a pretty decent effort, but not much more.