Superman & Lois Season 2 (BBC) TV Show Review

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Easily the best CW Show, even surpassing the first season of Arrow. Also the average of every 3 episodes, probably better than anything put out by DC Films, not directed by Zack Snyder.

meltonboy

S1 was a family favourite and we binged the iplayer over the Christmas break. Great to see S2 has landed. First 2 are a slow burn, but that's fine with us. Was a bit surprised that we had totally missed it's return. Not sure if it wasn't promoted much or i don't watch enough linear TV these days. Anyhoo, iplayer saves the day.

MB

Davyb100

Still never got round to watching the first season of this. Definitely going to have to go to the top of my list as soon as I finish The Umbrella Academy.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Not watched Season 1 yet either, but this is on my list as I've been quite surprised by how many plaudits it has gotten.

On a general Superman note, instead of continuing to fanny around with Cavill is there any reason why they shouldn't just ditch him and go with Tyler Hoechlin for a big screen outing?

I've seen plenty of comment too that his incarnation of the character is as good as Reeve's.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Not watched Season 1 yet either, but this is on my list as I've been quite surprised by how many plaudits it has gotten.

On a general Superman note, instead of continuing to fanny around with Cavill is there any reason why they shouldn't just ditch him and go with Tyler Hoechlin for a big screen outing?

I've seen plenty of comment too that his incarnation of the character is as good as Reeve's.

I mean, I always see this suggestion with stuff like Flash and Superman (and others) but the reality is that most of these creations/actors still have a 'TV' curse to them which I suspect means that any blockbuster featuring them will unfortunately, perhaps even subconsciously, feel TV-made as a result. I can't think of any really successful transitions, and certainly not in terms of comic book characters.

To be honest, I'd prefer a few more excellent seasons of TV Superman to another botched reboot attempt, particularly if they do a one-and-done with MBJ which causes just another dead end.

Cavill, like Affleck, is just a fan's dream now, they'll never return but for multiverse cameos at best.

And they've screwed up the Big Screen events so much that they're really in a corner without Cavill, as it's not just a new Supes, do we want another Lex? another Doomsday? another Zod? another origin story? another intro to the JL? another face-off with Bats?

If not any of the above, what tale is going to work for fans and newbies alike, what villain, what scenario? He feels much harder to just one-shot at a movie level, The Batman-style (not that they won't try for a sequel), and is clearly much more interesting and successful in long format (Superman & Lois and, dare I say it, Lois & Clark back in the day).

jacko01

hehe I also had a crush on Terri Hatcher, think this one is much better, really enjoyed it..

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Season 1 was excellent so I'm looking forward to making a start on this (I have a few episodes downloaded already).

Garrett

Switched the TV on on Saturday and found it was almost at the end of episode 2 season2.
Great idea advertise all your crap between programs and that silly one liners, songs etc but don't advertise one of your only decent programs. Going to have to slot in 2 episodes on catch up.:mad:

Glenn01

Distinguished Member

After the appalling teen targeted super girl (& flash) I had pretty much had my fill of this kind of thing.

Smallville was superb and I absolutely loved that series, although it lost its way a little in the later seasons.

So I was pleasantly surprised by this and thoroughly enjoyed season 1 - appreciate the review mate and looking forward to watching season 2

Last edited:

brian s

Distinguished Member
I mean, I always see this suggestion with stuff like Flash and Superman (and others) but the reality is that most of these creations/actors still have a 'TV' curse to them which I suspect means that any blockbuster featuring them will unfortunately, perhaps even subconsciously, feel TV-made as a result. I can't think of any really successful transitions, and certainly not in terms of comic book characters.
There was the Adam West Batman film. It hit the cinemas after the first TV season. I'm not sure if it made a huge profit but I'd be surprised if it wasn't very successful. Not comic book but there were quite a few film releases for the original Man From Uncle TV series so they must have been successful.

Bri

aidey6

I still find it hard to think this came from the CW; such an excellent show.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
There was the Adam West Batman film. It hit the cinemas after the first TV season. I'm not sure if it made a huge profit but I'd be surprised if it wasn't very successful. Not comic book but there were quite a few film releases for the original Man From Uncle TV series so they must have been successful.

Bri

Yeah, I mean, you kinda made my point unfortunately. All of those I'd think of as made-for-TV. And I'm not talking BO success per se (although judging films from 50+ years ago may be a bit misleading, as the cinematic landscape was very different back then) but just the 'success' of letting a TV entity (and portrayal) "graduate" to the Big Screen.

Thinking about it, the first X-Files movie probably came close, whereas the second - to me - had that made-for-TV feel even though I quite enjoyed it.

And I'm sure there are examples, but that doesn't mean there isn't a curse to TV when it comes to pushing it through to the Big Screen.

On the flip side, I don't really care. TV isn't what it used to be, effects budgets are huge, and style, scope and acting are frequently almost movie level even if, by necessity, the long form story is very different (not necessarily worse, just different). As I said in the review, I'm quite happy with a few more great seasons of Superman & Lois rather than another abortive soft reboot movie attempt.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I mean, you kinda made my point unfortunately. All of those I'd think of as made-for-TV. And I'm not talking BO success per se (although judging films from 50+ years ago may be a bit misleading, as the cinematic landscape was very different back then) but just the 'success' of letting a TV entity (and portrayal) "graduate" to the Big Screen.

Thinking about it, the first X-Files movie probably came close, whereas the second - to me - had that made-for-TV feel even though I quite enjoyed it.

And I'm sure there are examples, but that doesn't mean there isn't a curse to TV when it comes to pushing it through to the Big Screen.

On the flip side, I don't really care. TV isn't what it used to be, effects budgets are huge, and style, scope and acting are frequently almost movie level even if, by necessity, the long form story is very different (not necessarily worse, just different). As I said in the review, I'm quite happy with a few more great seasons of Superman & Lois rather than another abortive soft reboot movie attempt.
Even outside of 'genre tv' superstar TV actors really struggle to make an impact in movies.

Tom Selleck was one of the biggest TV stars ever, but failed to land much in movies. George Clooney is a clear exception to this rule, but I struggle to think of any more, whereas its quite easy to think of the big TV stars whose movie careers never matched their popularity on TV, or anywhere near.

richp007

Distinguished Member

To be honest, I'd prefer a few more excellent seasons of TV Superman to another botched reboot attempt, particularly if they do a one-and-done with MBJ which causes just another dead end.

Cavill, like Affleck, is just a fan's dream now, they'll never return but for multiverse cameos at best.

And they've screwed up the Big Screen events so much that they're really in a corner without Cavill, as it's not just a new Supes, do we want another Lex? another Doomsday? another Zod? another origin story? another intro to the JL? another face-off with Bats?

If not any of the above, what tale is going to work for fans and newbies alike, what villain, what scenario? He feels much harder to just one-shot at a movie level, The Batman-style (not that they won't try for a sequel), and is clearly much more interesting and successful in long format (Superman & Lois and, dare I say it, Lois & Clark back in the day).

I think historically you are correct about the TV curse, I just don't think it need apply anymore. There's so much being spent on TV shows now with mainstream movie actors quite happily transitioning between the two, with a solid production team behind them as well. As we've been seeing with the Marvel and Disney stuff in particular. It's happening on all the platforms these days.

There's no reason why DC/WB can't do the same. I think it's a barrier that someone probably just needs to be brave enough to remove.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I think historically you are correct about the TV curse, I just don't think it need apply anymore. There's so much being spent on TV shows now with mainstream movie actors quite happily transitioning between the two, with a solid production team behind them as well. As we've been seeing with the Marvel and Disney stuff in particular. It's happening on all the platforms these days.

There's no reason why DC/WB can't do the same. I think it's a barrier that someone probably just needs to be brave enough to remove.

True but Disney have done it in reverse really, from movies to TV. And, even then, it’s questionable- I couldn’t imagine a successful Agents of Shield movie, even if their other TV characters will eventually land in a variety of slowly seeded big screen team-ups. Disney also throw money at making movie budget TV stuff.

DC have too obviously delineated with the Arrowverse, and have only with S&L made their first even vaguely cinematic show, they otherwise all feel utterly TV. And, unfortunately, the cast of S&L are holdovers from that verse and thus are equally tarnished.

But who cares, DC movies are such a damn mixed back and the universe is all over the shop; let them just focus on getting this right is my take.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
mainstream movie actors quite happily transitioning between the two, with a solid production team behind them as well.
I suspect, that may soon start to reverse. Yes, there are noises around creativity, etc. but it still comes down to money. The streaming wars are starting to hit, the business model is flawed, with spending on content driving subscriber growth, to grow the share price to justify the investment. But as netflix is finding, subscriber growth is now in reverse, and you can't keep throwing money you don't have on new top-tier content if its not actually making any money for you. So the salaries they have been paying actors and creators to fund these new streaming shows is going to dry up significantly, and we'll be back to where we were before with cinema being the only real moneymaker that can afford the high salaries of the movie stars, and the TV budgets unfortunately will also start to contract, restoring the divide. There are some outliers like Amazon,Apple,Disney whose primary business model is NOT streaming that can continue to fund quality content to maximize their IP, which crosses into heir other revenue streams, but the studio-only streamers may find themselves in a bit of trouble from now on.

richp007

Distinguished Member
True but Disney have done it in reverse really, from movies to TV. And, even then, it’s questionable- I couldn’t imagine a successful Agents of Shield movie, even if their other TV characters will eventually land in a variety of slowly seeded big screen team-ups. Disney also throw money at making movie budget TV stuff.

DC have too obviously delineated with the Arrowverse, and have only with S&L made their first even vaguely cinematic show, they otherwise all feel utterly TV. And, unfortunately, the cast of S&L are holdovers from that verse and thus are equally tarnished.

But who cares, DC movies are such a damn mixed back and the universe is all over the shop; let them just focus on getting this right is my take.

It's a fair take, but I think they should be looking to be more ambitious. Perhaps they will be now, but I'd personally have no problem if they put Tyler as Superman on the big screen. Chuck some other big stars in the mix and there's no reason they can't nail it.

Superman is the pinnacle of all superhero lore, so if they've actually got someone who can (critically) play him well - and very importantly Clark Kent too - and a script ready to go (which there must surely be as Superman has been on ice for too long), then let's have it.

Hell it sounds like they've even got a decent Lois too!

This incarnation tucked away on iPlayer looks like it's being hard done by.

And @scrowe I think that's an astute observation above, one I agree with as I'm concerned about where streaming is going myself.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
You may say that, but even Deadline is suggesting we may hear something is afoot at Comic-Con this weekend

Plus I know this is a bit conspiracy theory but Rolling Stone put out this virtual hit-piece on Zack Snyder, these things are not done randomly

encaser

I couldn't stop laughing when Clark took his glasses off for Lana and she did the wow face, as he floated up.
Still good though with interesting stories and emotions played out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storvay

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas, great review.

It was a really nice surprise to see this, somehow it’s passed me by. I loved season 1 so I’m hugely looking forward to watching it - feels great because it was so unexpected!

GT One

I'm not sure I can agree with the ''had no real right to succeed'' comment for this show.
In my opinion since the first two seasons of Stephen Amell's Arrow, which jump started CW and the Greg Berlanti production company, this Superman has remained reasonably watchable and consistent as a screenplay, which is more than can be said for the other longer running DC franchise shows, the CGI isn't too bad either.
Superman & Lois has been renewed during a period of mass cancellations by CW, with Batwoman and Legends of Tomorrow being cancelled because Warner did not want to pay up the lease on their studio space which expired in May.
Among other shows that survived CW's axe was: The Flash, Kung Fu, Nancy Drew, All American and Riverdale; which including The Flash is likely one of the remaining CW shows that is still partially bankrolled by Netflix for viewing on their streaming channel.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton