Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 1st October 2010.
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is a solid ninth entry within the Warner Bros. DC Animated Universe run of DTV movies. The first official sequel, and a reasonably good one at that, it is quite a bit better than the original. Providing some quality (and brutal) action sequences, it also maintains interest with its compelling storyline charting the introduction of the new Supergirl character, and the subsequent mixed feelings that Batman and Superman have over her strange arrival. It perfectly blends the events in normal Earthbound settings with the otherworldly chaos of strange, foreign planets, and despite having a few too many integral characters (particularly for newcomers), it still remains a great watch.

On Region Free US Blu-ray we get good video and audio presentation, as well as a superior selection of extra that houses not only some suitably-chosen extra episodes from the Superman Animated Series, but also a fantastic Green Arrow animated short movie that is definitely worth checking out. Fans of the DCU titles will find this a must-have addition to their collection, those burned by previous, less good, entries in the accolade should be pleasantly surprised by this return-to-form, and newcomers should consider this almost as good a starting-point as the recent Batman: Under the Red Hood animated movie, and easily the best of the Superman/Batman, solo-Superman or Justice League-themed titles. Recommended.
Read the full review...

Its just a real pity that these dvd's are hard to come by as R2 PAL, the prequel to this was available as a limited edition run on Amazon (now completely sold out and only available via ebay profiteers), who ever is running the distribution for this lot needs to be replaced ... I wanna buy these but no UK shops sells them.

Mate, you do realise these Blu-rays are all Region Free!?

If you're having problems with a playing R1 DVDs then a Region Free DVD player isn't gonna set you back more than the price of a few DVDs (i.e. £30ish)...

I was speaking about the DVD's for the DC series, which while true its possible to get them as R1, I've had bad experience in the past from ebay and copies (might as well of torrented it myself). I did see a region 2 version of Superman/Batman public enemies DVD in a shop in London, they wanted £28 for it ... I don't understand why it was a limited release, but I might have to just buy some region 1 versions and deprive the UK distribution company of the money I want to give them.

As for BluRays being region free I thought it was HD DVD that were and blu wasn't ...

Sorry, when I said 'these Blu-rays' I meant all the DCU titles, including this one. Yes, not all Blu-rays are Region Free, but it's all marked up on the review (both in the specs and in the main body) so you should be able to easily tell on this site which are which.

I see, thanks man. I do admit I was tempted to buy the DVD from the shop as I do want to see them and am a big fan of both "Public Enemies" and "Supergirl" superman/batman books, probably the best in the series. The BluRay for Apocalypse is a digi pack thing that comes with the DVD so I could be tempted with that too (I'm not really into Blu-ray I'm a die heart stingy bloke).

Good review by the way, my annoyance is with the publishers not letting me buy it on DVD in a shop like HMV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom