Superman 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Great review, have asked my brother to get me this for xmas so going to be a wait until I can see it but definitely looking forward to it.

A super review!

I flew into HMV upon Day 1 of it's release and I have to say I am pleased with my purchase!

A super review!

I flew into HMV upon Day 1 of it's release and I have to say I am pleased with my purchase!
What have I told you before about exaggerating?
E5308BB9-0023-4516-861F-125BE2EB8A60.gif

:laugh:

Defo worth a watch in 4k (if it probably close to a 2k then actual 4k)not a fan of old movies being reharshed into 4k but worth a punt for a classic. Like most fans of the Reeves style of Superman, II was a better film and only because if Terence Stamp!

This is before everyone got so serious and dark................
Thank you for great review.
:D

As someone who has gone through much of their life with people adding a superfluous "S" to my surname I feel I should point out it's "Christopher Reeve" and not "Reeves"

Great review of the disc but, pedant that I am, I have to take issue with this:

"Until 1978, Superman was just that, a ‘super man’. Oh, he had ‘super powers’; faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound - powers inaccessible to humans, but all within the realms of possibility".

I was an avid reader of the comics in the 60s and he definitely had all his "proper" super powers by then... and he first flew as far back as the '40s.

Great review of the disc but, pedant that I am, I have to take issue with this:

"Until 1978, Superman was just that, a ‘super man’. Oh, he had ‘super powers’; faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound - powers inaccessible to humans, but all within the realms of possibility".

I was an avid reader of the comics in the 60s and he definitely had all his "proper" super powers by then... and he first flew as far back as the '40s.

I thought the point was that he didn't previously have the ability to turn back time? That was a bit of a silly 'power' to give him.

I thought the point was that he didn't previously have the ability to turn back time? That was a bit of a silly 'power' to give him.

I always thought that he was supposed to be travelling faster than light and thereby going back in time, rather than actually just spinning the Earth the other way to 'reverse' time...

That said, I'm not sure this theory is any more realistic, as faster than light travel is pretty much impossible anyway and wouldn't explain why he doesn't bump into another version of himself at an earlier point in time (my head is starting to hurt now)

I always thought that he was supposed to be travelling faster than light and thereby going back in time, rather than actually just spinning the Earth the other way to 'reverse' time...

That said, I'm not sure this theory is any more realistic, as faster than light travel is pretty much impossible anyway and wouldn't explain why he doesn't bump into another version of himself at an earlier point in time (my head is starting to hurt now)

You see him actually stop the earth spinning and then spin it backwards. It was silly, let’s not even talk about what that would do to gravity.

You see him actually stop the earth spinning and then spin it backwards. It was silly, let’s not even talk about what that would do to gravity.
And doesn't explain why there was no earthquake the 2nd time around? Wouldn't the earthquake have just repeated again?

Waiting on Superman 2 & 3 now, hopefully they will soon follow. The Quest For Peace will take a nose dive I'm afraid.

But all-in-all...

We need more General Zod.

And doesn't explain why there was no earthquake the 2nd time around? Wouldn't the earthquake have just repeated again?

I think he wouldn't have cared either way as long as Lois was alive.

I think it's the single most selfish thing I've seen a superhero do. If he has the capacity to change the past, electing to use it just to save someone he kinda fancies is pretty shallow. Bad, bad writing.

I think he wouldn't have cared either way as long as Lois was alive.
I was thinking more along the lines of why/how
the time line changed?

From what I understand, he reversed time/traveled back in time and then headed straight for Lois. He didn't do anything else to change the past, so the 2nd missile still struck, the earthquake would have still happened, and the dam would have still burst etc, but suddenly by flying straight to Lois, it magically stopped the missile strike and the earthquake? :facepalm:
:)

Last edited:
As a kid (think I was 8) watching the earth spin backwards was cool. If I remember correctly when Superman was first shown on TV, it was on the day after the Charles & Diana wedding....

Thanks Simon,

I wonder if they can do anything with Supergirl.....Just about the worst PQ/AQ I have experienced :laugh:

As a kid (think I was 8) watching the earth spin backwards was cool. If I remember correctly when Superman was first shown on TV, it was on the day after the Charles & Diana wedding....

I bought this in HMV on Monday and watched it last night. As a 44-year-old, watching the earth spin backwards is still cool. And very romantic. A simply wonderful film, and my favourite superhero movie ever.

Waiting on Superman 2 & 3 now, hopefully they will soon follow. The Quest For Peace will take a nose dive I'm afraid.

But all-in-all...

We need more General Zod.

Oh yes. Superman 2 has always been my favourite of these!

Great review. Remember seeing a double bill of this and the sequel back in the 80s. Great to hear about the picture quality! Sold.

I bought this in HMV on Monday and watched it last night. As a 44-year-old, watching the earth spin backwards is still cool. And very romantic. A simply wonderful film, and my favourite superhero movie ever.
Oh definitely I agree..Nothing nasty and evil was not evil but a bunny rabbit lol. It was fluffy tv and we loved it in our little innocent world but we moved over and joined the dark side my padawan

I was thinking more along the lines of why/how
the time line changed?

From what I understand, he reversed time/traveled back in time and then headed straight for Lois. He didn't do anything else to change the past, so the 2nd missile still struck, the earthquake would have still happened, and the dam would have still burst etc, but suddenly by flying straight to Lois, it magically stopped the missile strike and the earthquake? :facepalm:
:)

Of course as an adult, it doesn’t make a lot of sense, but 8 year old me, didn’t care a bit and utterly loved it. 48 year old me can still watch it though those eyes, and still loves it just as much, so it remains one of my favourite movies ever, and one I have watched possibly more times than any other.

Even viewing it as an adult, I still think most of the movie, particularly the first half completely holds up as great drama and a defining superhero origin story, it only gets weaker once Luthor’s plot is revealed, but the quality of acting still makes even this entertaining.

Of course Christopher Reeve is what makes the whole thing work. The genius of his performance is that without effects or make-up, it is totally possible to accept that no-one ever guesses his secret, and his transformation when he removes his glasses is just pure acting talent. Always brings a tear to my eyes seeing him as the perfect embodiment of Superman when that classic theme kicks in, especially given the later tragedy in his life, after which he went on to demonstrate he was every bit as much a real-life hero.

Still, I don’t think I will buy the 4K release, unless I see it later for bargain-bin pricing. I have bought it twice on VHS, twice on DVD and three times on Blu-Ray, and it has always been a soft looking film by design. The recent TV version Blu-Ray release was interesting as it at least showed me some material I have never seen before, but I can’t bring myself to umpteen-dip just for a tiny uptick in detail.

50599E26-52E1-40CE-BD24-A3AE0FB1428A.jpeg Top film Mr Reeve is terrific, Gene Hackman was the greatest screen actor of his generation and my late father enjoyed the romantic scenes and of course that score!

For anyone with an interest the Terence Stamp interview is happening on 16th Jan, these events are well worth attending (Julian Glover was last months guest) as you can ask questions and hey there is even a raffle!

Booking will be up shortly

Home

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom