Superman 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

jakimp

for a restoration of a 40 year old film it was good in my view

the atmos track is very good

the film still stands up

agreed bring on number 2 - kneel before Zod! - Terence stamp was an excellent Zod

HeavenlyWarrior

This was on every Christmas when I was a kid along with Disney movies and Star Wars. You forget being a kid what a brilliant movie this is. As is the Donnor cut of the sequel.

the hoff

No you don't. :) You're watching that scene from Superman's perspective: as you begin to move backwards in time instead of forwards, the rotation of the Earth appears to go into reverse.
My theory too and I'm sticking to it...

And by the way, gravity would be unaffected if the earth was to spin in the opposite direction, as the mass of the earth would remain the same (physicists feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Climate would be catastrophically affected if it was to spin the other way for a prolonged period of time (i.e. years) but I think a few minutes should be OK.

Do agree though (and I'd never really thought about it before, which is a bit embarrassing as I'm 46) that as he didn't actually stop the missiles from launching that the events would just repeat. Everyone else would die but he would save Lois...as someone said, just a tad selfish

terencejames

I went to see the Royal Philharmonic do a John Williams night last year and they opened with the Superman theme. I had goosebumps all over. Such an uplifting piece of music. I think that Reeve is the definitive Superman / Clark Kent although I thought Brandon Routh did a bang up impersonation of him. Never understood the dislike of Superman Returns. Anyway, Superman is a great movie and I will be certainly grabbing this release.

Mallardo

This was on every Christmas when I was a kid along with Disney movies and Star Wars. You forget being a kid what a brilliant movie this is. As is the Donnor cut of the sequel.
I remember the thrill of the big movies being on at Christmas in the time before VCRs. You would go an see them at the cinema and then you would not get a chance to see them again for 3 years or so. Watching Raiders of the Lost Ark on BBC1 was the highlight of one particular Christmas day in the mid 80's for me.
Young 'uns today will never know this feeling.
Jesus, i'm getting old....

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Great Review for anyone who is interested, you can buy this with free delivery, 10% off and a free superman t shirt from the official UK Warner Bros shop for £19.99 minus discount, also great that we unlike the Americans get the extended version aswell...that score by Williams is absolutely majestic!

Superman with Free Small T-shirt (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
One of the best ever superior movies, and one of the best soundtracks ever. John Williams really did himself proud with this score.

I was at the Royal Albert Hall only 2 weeks ago and was listening to the London Symphony Orchestra performing the iconic Superman March, one of the finest main themes ever.

I have only a very few 4k disks, but I'll be buying this one.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Fixed that for you.

The disc artwork is also mismatched unlike the US release.
Sorry I'm confused even the review says the Blu-ray in the box, comes with the extended version of the film..you saying this is a fudge up?

IGC

Yes, there's 2 problems with the artwork and discs. The artwork is for an 11mm style case (so it's too small) and it also says the theatrical cut is on the UHD and standard Blu-ray. It is not. There's a mis-matched artwork disc obviously found in a Poundland skip as I mentioned on the other thread -someone somewhere was too ignorant or lazy to know. Legally, Warner could have to swap these discs out as there must be an agreement with Donner (and others) and the DGA/WGA for which versions are available and how they're released.

We obviously have a shoddy USA case with added English censor logos, with the wrong disc and wrong non-14mm box. Not sure how the box error happened however it is very tight with the slipcover so somewhere along the lines 3mm is missing.

On a positive note about the extraordinary new level of detail: watch when Brando puts the baby on that flying machine. You can actually see the imprints of Brando's fingers on the skin.

Incidentally, isn't this review notice posted in the wrong section of the forum?

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Also, the USA edition doesn't have the extended edition on the Blu-ray like uk according to the digital bits, so that's a bonus for those that want that albeit with the mismatched artwork!

The_Wierd

Great Review for anyone who is interested, you can buy this with free delivery, 10% off and a free superman t shirt from the official UK Warner Bros shop for £19.99 minus discount, also great that we unlike the Americans get the extended version aswell...that score by Williams is absolutely majestic!

Superman with Free Small T-shirt (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray)
Bugger, 18 quid with a T-shirt might actually make me buy it again....

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Mines sitting at home, ready to be watched at the weekend, by the way t-shirt comes separately, and is officially licensed so it's nice quality, goes nicely with my red y fronts, which I often wear over my blue tights :)

Last edited:

peahead

This is also available on the apple store for those that don't mind digital @ £8.99

Barrovian

As a kid (think I was 8) watching the earth spin backwards was cool. If I remember correctly when Superman was first shown on TV, it was on the day after the Charles & Diana wedding....
Sorry, but if you are in the UK, then no. "Superman The Movie" had its UK tv premiere on ITV New Year's Day 1983. However, It was one of the first films available in the UK on 'videocasette' from early 1981, so it's possible you saw it on tape after Chaz & Di's big day. The big film on the day was the 'A' cert version of "Saturday Night Fever."

Last edited:

Hampy1972

Sorry, but if you are in the UK, then no. "Superman The Movie" had its UK tv premiere on ITV New Year's Day 1983. However, It was one of the first films available in the UK on 'videocasette' from early 1982, so it's possible you saw it on tape after Chaz & Di's big day. The big film on the day was the 'A' cert version of "Saturday Night Fever."
I knew I would be off by some months.i was working off my memory of the Royal wedding and Superman on the box..
Thanks for the info.
Saturday night fever really? Wow..

Barrovian

I knew I would be off by some months.i was working off my memory of the Royal wedding and Superman on the box..
Thanks for the info.
Saturday night fever really? Wow..
I'm full of absolutely useless information. Trouble is, it's only the useless stuff I remember :)

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
I think he wouldn't have cared either way as long as Lois was alive.

I think it's the single most selfish thing I've seen a superhero do. If he has the capacity to change the past, electing to use it just to save someone he kinda fancies is pretty shallow. Bad, bad writing.
If you think that’s selfish go watch the 3 Hour TV Cut, he looks even more of a selfish arse with certain scenes being put back in.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
If you think that’s selfish go watch the 3 Hour TV Cut, he looks even more of a selfish arse with certain scenes being put back in.
yeah neo did exactly the same thing in the matrix reloaded

Panavision

As a kid (think I was 8) watching the earth spin backwards was cool. If I remember correctly when Superman was first shown on TV, it was on the day after the Charles & Diana wedding....
January 1983:

I think it's the single most selfish thing I've seen a superhero do. If he has the capacity to change the past, electing to use it just to save someone he kinda fancies is pretty shallow. Bad, bad writing.
I think the point was that Superman was selfishly interfering in human history to save one person. This was his weakness, falling in love. Superman is about Jesus Christ, he must serve all of humanity.

It would have worked better if Superman went back in time and sent the second rocket into space before the earthquake and THAT rocket exploded releasing the Kryptonian villains. That way Superman's selfish deed had severe consequences. Maybe that was the plan if Richard Donner was able to finish his Superman 2.

Garrett

I take it any one who love anyone and had the power to save their lives would not do so unless it be in a circumstance like City on the Edge of Forever to do so would be less than human.
I would not mind the power to go back in time in recent history to save lives of people I don't know.
So going back in time for just one person selfish probably, human definitely.