1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superman 2 Director's Cut?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Glenzo, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The hype among disappointed fans who want to see a Richard Donner cut (as originally shot) surely must be heightened now with the sad passing of Christopher Reeve, not too long after Marlon Brando who died as well.

What do fans think? Surely all the wranglings to do with the Salkinds/Brando Salkinds/Donner over the sequel are 'water under the bridge' and the movie should get the full DVD treatment by Richard Donner the movie's real visionary. (I believe too the Salkinds are no longer with us). Who's to argue over the original cut now.

Donner shot most of the movie simultaneously with the original in 77/78 only to get fired and have most of his scenes that had the excellent Brando as Jor El reprising his role, axed!

Views, news please!

2. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I read shortly after the Directors Cut of Superman came out that the Salkinds or their estate were planning on suing Warners because they released/re-edited it without the Salkinds permission.

I think Donner would be happy to do it but that it won't happen. A sad thing, it'd be nice to get the daft bits out and have another great Superman movie. (I love it, but its too stupid in parts and that let it down.)

And while i'm here, its late but i just want to say that the passing of Christopher Reeve is a sad loss. The Superman character may have been a burden on his career but he was a legend and an icon to millions of fans around the world, myself included, and for his small part in my moviegoing childhood i'd like to thank him.

The new guy can be great, but he won't be Christopher Reeve.

I'm glad Bryan Singer has decided to continue the story from Superman 2 rather then go back over the origin. I think it was his producer who has said that for those of us over 25 the original movie is the start of the story and those under that Smallville is the start. Maybe the series isn't as dead as it seemed.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    raigraphixs posted some links on the subject earlier here today. Well worth a read. :smashin:

4. Damo121

Damo121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm glad Bryan Singer has decided to continue the story from Superman 2 rather then go back over the origin. I think it was his producer who has said that for those of us over 25 the original movie is the start of the story.

I could'nt agree more! :thumbsup:

Damo :)

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I too would love to see the Donner Superman 2 version, have wanted to see this for ages now and as soon as i had heard about it, which was quite a few years ago now.

I just really dont think it will happen though, but with the recent and very sad passing of Christopher Reeve the various people in the different corners may just put all the legal wranglings to one side and release this as part of a tribute, here's hoping.

6. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    in reality they will release it if they can make enough money from it,it would be sad if it had to take the death of superman himself to get the movie released,but like i said if the money men at the studios think its a spinner then it will arrive sooner or later,superman was my hero as i grew up,really sad to see reeve die and the programme on tv last night was upsetting for me.

7. aprout

aprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    If they were to do a Donner re-edit of Superman 2, they'd have to completely re-edit Superman 1 too.

According to my 1978 'The Making of Superman: The Movie' book, originally, Supes 1 was going to end on a cliffhanger with Lois dying in the earthquake & the 2nd nuke exploding in space, destroying the Phantom Zone prison & releasing General Zod & his chums. It would have ended with Zod screaming 'I'm Free!' & heading towards earth.

The whole 'spin the earth backwards' thingy was meant to be the end of part 2.

It'd be great to see Superman 1 & 2 re-edited as was originally intended (or into one huge 4 hour movie), but I doubt it'll ever happen.

8. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I think you know it will happen. Just look at all those lesser known or sucessful movies that have gotten Director's cuts and re-released in this way.

If there's money to be made, it'll happen.

I have to say that recently I bought Superman and the Sequel on DVD, watching the first one again I'd have to say it was like being a kid again in the cinema in 78/79. The special effects and talent in the story, acting and music are timeless (Just like Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back - Okay Return of the Jedi too).

When I put the sequel on it was a bummer from the word go, Brandos voice was cut form the highlights of the first movie, with dialogue that he never even spoke, Zod saying lines in the Phantom Zone that he'd originally said before being put in (Am I right). Well it goes on all (Mr Lester) corniness for a large part of the movie, like a real Southern town where a guy gets lifted into the air by General Zod after being threated by him in a strong accent with a rifle I believe. Next thing we have a poncy little English accent saying 'please Mr General put my daddy down' or S.L.T. and he falls onto a big cushioned pile of mud.

The 2.0 Soundtrack was a real let down too.

9. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Ps. I wasn't keen on keeping the Superman 2 DVD so I returned it. Got my sister in England a copy of Superman The Movie and me little cousin a copy (as gifts).

So I was impressed! Will prob do the same if Warner can impress with a re-issue S.E. of Superman 2!

10. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    i have the extended version of supes 2 that was shown on US tv at some point and it has quite a few nice little addtions to it though i have never sat down and watched it making notes yet! but it did seem better and its proof that the scenes are out there somewhere just needs dick donner to have the time to sit down and work it out and probably do it for nothing (as dvd budgets are non existent! especially for old movies!)

11. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yeah I hope Mr Dick Donner will do soon. I've been going on about it for a while here and there since I got back into Superman a few months back, then Brando died and now Christopher Reeves. And now I feel they owe it to them both as work they did that continued the first's excellent narrative has been denied, likewise for the late great Geoffrey Unsworth, the Director of Photography. Wouldn't all Mr Donner's work have been filmed with him.

Can you imagine having Star Wars (A New Hope) and then a whole bollucks of an affair with Star Wars (The Empire Strikes Back).

Also I think sequels work better and tend to be more sucessful when they're Not called Superman 2, 3 Jaws 2, 3. It seems more classy when they've titles like the Star Wars movies and the Lord of The Rings Movies with titles. It takes the obligatory feeling from them and I think the enthusiasm of the people that work on them go with it more.

Look at the success rates with movies that aren't given 1,2,3...

For all we know it would've/could've been Superman 'The Movie' then Superman 'The Revenge of Zod' (off the top of me head).......

What ya think?

12. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Although Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest movies ever made :) Should have kept the title The Amazing Spider-Man though.

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Havent seen this yet, but will soon be rectified once my superbit edition arrives :)

14. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Personally I wouln't put Spiderman (the first one I've seen) in the same league as Superman The Movie.

Honestly the CGI effects have stretched too far, I felt that after his transformation the story/movie lost the 'plot'. He was swinging around a city that looked like a cartoon one (hence the animation) and that stupid Green Goblin. My Goblin vacuum cleaner, which is Green would have made a better more likely villian.

I like the blockbusters made the old way. Think about it! It's the reason we love the original Star Wars Trilogy so much and Loathe the prequels. Too much CGI and no story!!

'Jurassic Park' in all its visual glory, whilst looking very realistic had one of the weakest storylines in 90's big box office blockbuster (or maybe JP 'TLW')!! Then when Speilberg had no (or very little) Sfx to worry about on his next project 'Schindler's List'; this movie was all about story and became unforgettable as a piece of cinematography.

All in my honest opinion!!

15. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Sorry I don't think Spiderman 2 would in a million years by any panel of right minded movie critics get any where near being polled as one of the greatest movies unless they had a big promotion going for Sony.

16. purplefoot

purplefoot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Since Richard Lester's name is actually on Superman II, I would guess he would have a lot more say in whether or not it gets re-edited than Dick Donner (or any of us for that matter :D ).

Anyone know what the ratio is of Donner vs. Lester footage?

17. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Lester reshot a lot of Donner's footage for no discernible reason, seeing how it was fine in the first place and not an issue (he was just being a mardy old bitch) so who knows? Or dares to dream?

18. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The current edit on DVD of Superman 2 as released theatrically likeweise consists of approx 70% Lester material to 30% Donner.

Donner had completed 70% or more of the movie himself with the intention of returning to finish the movie after the first opening sucess in late '77 I believe, so Lester had to do away with a lot of it and re-shoot to well over 50% in his credit in order to gain the Director's Credit for the movie.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT WAS PRINTED ABOUT SUPERMAN 2 IN THE CURRENT EDITION OF 'DVD REVIEW'?

19. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Sorry, it opened in late '78

20. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    SUPERMAN 2/ SUPERMAN II What's the latest? Any Director's Cut Developments?

21. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    A few months ago on a web-chat with the Warners DVD people, they stated that Warners and Donner were both keen to make this happen.

Perhaps in time for the new movie being released next year? After all it is a direct sequel to "Superman II".

22. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you all signed the petition? You should do!

I lost the URL for it, but here's what I wrote:

With the right packaging (so as not to be confused with the "official" Superman II) this could be a very successful release with a wider market than hardcore fans of the film. Admittedly, this kind of treatment of a film is not something that would normally even be considered. But the Superman series was not an ordinary series. It was a seminal moment in movie history, and will no doubt be revered for centuries. Releasing a re-cut version would pay the respect due to Richard Donner, and help preserve an important piece of movie history. Such an unprecidented move would also be a source of mass-excitement within the entertainment industry, and the DVD would make a welcome addition to many people's video collections. I urge any execs reading this to at least consider the idea!

23. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    this is the latest from donner as of may 5th taken from "superman cinema" site

I met Bruce Willis and Richard Donner on Friday. The two of them have been around the streets of Toronto for a while filming an action movie called "16 Blocks". Last week, they were filming around the area of my job site and on Friday they actually asked us for our permission to film on our construction site. It was part of a chase scene where Bruce (playing a cop)was being shot at. He drives a car into our site, then gets out and starts running down the street into an alley with a prisoner in his custody. It was pretty cool. We also allowed them to use our facilities to set up their equipment.

I had a chance to talk to Richard Donner. He was very pleasant to talk to. Seemed like a pretty easy going guy. The first question I asked him is if he was ever going to do a Superman 2 re-edit. I also added that there are so many fans out there that would love to see it. He laughed a bit but then told me that he wasn't sure if the film footage even exists anymore.

doesnt sound promising! but we can hope its good news that they are using the unused brando footage for returns though!

24. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    yeah the brando footage was bought up by bryan singer for the new movie,this sound good,wonder how much he paid the brando estate for that ??

25. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    from what i hear it wont be that faithfull....as Hugh Jackman is supposed to be playing Johnathan Kent. (for those of you who dont know! he died in superman 1 at the age of around 65ish....) so i just wonder how Singer is going to work that one!

that aside i am looking forward to it.

26. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    and theyve got to keep the superman theme from the original,dont mess it about too much

27. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Jackman's playing Jonathan Kent purely in flashback scenes, I believe.

28. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Stephan Bender plays a young Clark Kent in flashbacks to his youth in Smallville. That would take care of Jonathan Kent. :)
    Two composers are listed for the movie John Ottman (credited for original music) and John Williams. So pretty sure that the classic "Superman" theme will be used.