1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

superlive and widescreen ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jubbly, Jul 16, 2001.

1. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know the difference between these 2 as in my manual for my tosh tv it says to use super live when watching a 4.3 broadcast and it will keep the centre of the image proportionate and stretch the out side of the image to fill the screen and it says to use wide when watching a dvd or anything else broadcast in widescreen.
    But when i am watching a 4.3 broadcast both superlive and wide options stretch the image to fill the screen and there doesn't seem to be any difference.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jubbly,

Yes, SUPERLIVE is supposed to stretch the edges of the image more than the centre of it, though the result of this is not as convincing as the description ! At least you do get the entire image on the screen.

Use WIDE only for DVD type inputs which are actually provided in widescreen.

Personally, I use CINEMA mode for 4:3 broadcasts. It does lose some of the image and sometimes people's heads get chopped off....but at least everything is still in proportion. According to the Tosh engr I spoke to, CINEMA is simply overscan'ing the picture.

Cheers
    Daz

3. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally would rather have a stretched image than lose than cinema mode as this just zooms in and then you lose lots of the pictue.
    I still don't understand the difference between superlive and wide when watching a 4.3 broadcast though because if wide is just for dvd widescreen presentations then why does it stretch a 4.3 broadcast ?

4. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Jubbly,
    The 'wide' setting is for anamorphic material, be it DVD or 'true' widescreen broadcasts.
    The wide setting squishes the picture into the correct aspect ratio.
    If you apply this setting to a true 4:3 image then the picture is still sretched, but everyone on screen is now short & fat.
    The 'superlive' you refer to is I guess the same as Sony's 'Smart Setting' which merely stretches a 4:3 (or 14:9) image to completely fill a widescreen without losing too much from the upper/lower edges. (This must introduce some distortion to the image.)

Nick S

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    "superlive" on a tosh magnifies the centre portion of the screen like "zoom" but not as much, so it doesn't cut everyones heads off, and then just stretches the edge of the picture to fill the screen, its the best way to watch 4:3 on a 16:9 RP without causing burn in and doesn't make everyone seem short and fat like using "wide" does.