Superhub and DLINK DIR 655

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by themediaman, Feb 26, 2014.

1. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Been happily using the dlink for a few years until virgin replaced my modem with the super-hub in order to accommodate the higher speeds.......

I'm fairly competent with home networking and configured my dlink for home use while using the super-hub in modem mode.

I recently just decommissioned the dlink as the wireless on it keeps dropping out from time to time, which is a pain, even though its only used by the phones and tablets...

however when I try to move files to and from my NAS the speeds are shocking, like 1.2MB/s as opposed to 25MB/s, I am fairly confident I have set up the superhub in order to achieve the fastest speed possible over then LAN....

How would I go about setting up my old dlink router to deal with the LAN traffic, DHCP allocation, but keep the superhub wireless internet......

It sounds possible, just cant think of a methodical way to do it, so as to keep any configuration settings in tact....

Its been a long day.......

thanks in advance.....

2. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    On the dlink, use one of the LAN ports to connect it to any of the ports on the superhub. Essentially transforming your dlink into a glorified network switch.

Remember to set the default gateway to the superhub's IP if you're not using DHCP.

3. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    So turn off dhcp on the hub.........set the default gateway on the dlink to that of the hubs then join them up.....?

Will I need to set the dlink IP to anything specific.....

Thanks so far.....

4. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Ok, I've not tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Set up the hub like it is acting as the only router/gateway on the network.
    Disable dhcp on the dlink and connect the two via LAN ports. The dlink won't then be routing anything or trying to give out IP addresses, it wouldn't even need an IP address as it would just be acting as a switch.

If for some reason it doesn't work... the easiest solution is to buy a gigabit switch.

I've never had a problem with my 655. The wireless is damn near perfect compared to my previous Draytek router (going back to 2002 now though!).

5. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    There's a sticky at the top of the forum about using two routers, which should have all the info you need. Both units will require IP addresses (otherwise you will not be able to configure them). It would be best to use the DHCP server on the Virgin unit, as that also hands out gateway and DNS IP addresses.

It sounds to me as though you would be better off with a Gigabit switch connected to the Virgin unit instead, a 5 port one is < £15, 8 port < £20.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  6. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Does the network traffic not go through the superhub if the hub has handed out the ips though.....

That's what I'm trying to avoid.......all I want from the hub is internet, wired and wireless......

7. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    If you are talking about ethernet (wired) connections, 1.2 MB/s sounds suspiciously like something in the pathway between source and sink devices has a 10 mbps link rate. Have a look at your indicator lamps and status on the NIC's in the source an sink devices and check that they have come up at GBit link rates.

8. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    No, in switched ethernet infrastructures traffic travels the "least hops" between the source and sink devices. So if (say) source and sink were both connected to the DLink, it would simply travel source---dlink---sink.

9. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    That's good to know thanks.....

10. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    Pay attention to the FAQ cjed mentions - in particular if you want to use the DLink purely as switch/AP combo, you must not connect it to the Superhub using it's "WAN/Internet" port, set a non-conflicting IP address, turn off the DLink DHCP Server and Use the Superhub in "router" not "modem" mode. If you don't want the DLink wi-fi, just turn it off.

You wi-fi issues sound like interference. A radio channel change might make all the difference. There's also a FAQ about wi-fi interference pinned in this forum.

11. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    thanks for your help so far gents......

I am aware of the surrounding wireless broadcasts and their channels and adjusted accordingly.....

I managed it OK, just changed the DLINKS's IP to one outside of the hubs DHCP allowance and turned off wireless and DHCP.....

tested a file to the NAS and i am back to normal....

would like to know what the issue was but for now all my issues are resolved, thanks again.....

12. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    My D-Link 655 scans for a 'free' radio channel on startup. Not sure if it's always done this or if it required a firmware update.

13. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I think mine nay have the ability although there are different models of the 655.....mine stopped updating even before I bought it second hand.......I would have always configured it manually however due to neighbouring networks....