Question superhub and accesspoint issues - WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by has25, Jul 19, 2015.

1. has25

has25
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys can I have some advice please. I have an access point (TRENDnet AC1200 Dual band) and an virgin media superhub 2 both on the same SSID but on different channels. The issue I am having when I go near the superhub the connection is not firm is seems as though the device is still trying to connect to the access point. any advice on what to do? The access point is located at the far back of the house, and the superhub is located at the from top of the house. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    Unfortunately your devices do not look for a stronger signal and swap automatically, so while you are in range of both wifi signals your device is stubbornly sticking to the origins, signal even though a stronger signal is available.

You can try switching off wifi and then switching it back on (on your client device) to see if that allows the device to swap to the better signal. Otherwise you will have to use different SSIDs so you can manually select the wifi AP you want to use based on your choice.

The only successful way to create seamless roaming between APs is to use a managed wifi setup, as this allows the wifi controller (and the client devices in some cases) to manage the process of which AP is used, based on a variety of parameters (depending on the kit used) to try and ensure that the client devices maintain a decent signal as you move around the property. In most cases this is either too complicated or too costly for most people to bother with, so the manually controlled methods are the most practical solution for now.