Superhub Alternative

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Zain, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Zain

Zain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    hello, not sure this is the correct forum section but I'm looking at by-passing my super hub.

Just wondering which routers (up-to £150) you guys would reccommend?

Thanks

Z

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
  3. jeallen01

jeallen01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Set the SuperHub to modem mode and then connect whatever router you can best afford - mine is an ASUS RT-66 (N version)

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    I had a links us e3200 for a while but recently it died on me. I switched back to the super hub for a while and it seemed ok, but now everyone in the house is complaining about disconnecting from the Internet. Seems limited to 2.4GHz as I hadn't noticed and my phone/iPad are connected via 5GHz.

I started getting flashbacks to intermittent issues before, so I probably need to look at gettin a new router. I see nighthawks get recommended a lot so it seems I might need to suck up the cost - sub-£100 would have been handy

Edit: is it worth spending a lot when the only wifi devices are tablets and phones and the kids' laptop? My gaming PC, consoles etc are all wired

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    It becomes more cost effective the greater the number of people simultaneously wanting to access your network. It is also beneficial if streaming video content, especially HD content. Note that you'd need to set up different networks via the same router for 5GHz and 2.4GHz if wanting both via the same router. The router would obviously allow devices using the 2.4GHz network to converse with those on the 5GHz network and visa versa, but you'd set the devices themselves up to the the network most appropriate to their needs and capabilities.