1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supergrace Radeon - my initial findings.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gary Lightfoot, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Well, I decided to to buy one of the 64meg TV out DVI models (AE0304-187), as e-buyer.com were doing it for about £31 plus vat. I also went for a ECS K7S5A mobo as it was only £55 ish (inc vat) and a 950mhz Duron (£55 ish). I was upgrading from an Mpact2 motherboard solution - it worked fine and was glitch free, but I wanted to know how good the Radeon was.

The Supergrace cards don't come with the ATI DVD player, and I tried installing it from a friends pukka ATI disk but it didn't seem to want to work. This was on XP by the way. XP seemed slow, and a little clunky, so I reformatted and used ME instead.

Install was fine, and with WinDVD (2.64) playback seems sharper than before. My only real issue with it is the gamma control - you don't appear to be able to lock rgb - you can only adjust them individualy, which doesn't make adjustments easy.

I'm using this set-up with a Davis DLS8, and the colours look a little weak in default settings. I'd like to be able to increase the colour without going to 'warm colours' in the Davis menu.

For sound, I'm using an Aureal SQ1500 which I imported from computergeeks in the USA - it was $12.50 (+$15 for postage!). Surprisingly, it has a built in spdif, and surprisingly, it passes DD/DTS and all matrix/discrete as well. :)

I'm quite pleased with the system so far, but I'd like to use Zoom player instead of WinDVD with YXY for convenience. Trouble is, some people seem to be having problems with getting complete digital output with this combo.

More testing ahead, and I'll post info if I find anything bad.

Gary.

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Thanks Gary
    I've been using mine for a while now and it seems pretty decent.
    I've got a problem with the smoothness of pans, though and am trying to change the drivers of the card for some avs recommended ones.

Have you tried this?
    All I get is a message that says that there is no suitable hardware to update!

The drivers do seem to be ATi ones though

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Hi TT,

Everythings running OK now that I've installed WinMe, and I'm currently trying Zoom Player with the ATI filters. With the ATI player (5) on its own, I only get DPL. I can only get DD when using the WinDVD audio wav filter though. No DTS unless I run WinDVD on its own, but the picture quality isn't as good. I'm running an old Aureal SQ1500 sound card, so maybe it's an incompatibility with the drivers.

I'll use Zoom due to its built in YXY functionality (it's much easier to use), and because I can get the ATI player picture quality with the WinDVD DD sound. It's the best combination so far as most of my films are DD anyway. I'll just use WinDVD with YXY for DTS movies.

I'm running the ATI 7199 drivers, but I'm wondering that our cards may be built slightly differently to the pukka ATI Radeon, and has its' ID somewhere else, so the ATI software installer can't find the hardware ID where it thinks it should be - hence the 'no hardware found' problem.

If you download the player 5 on its' own, you can install it provinding you have a serial number. If you have the complete suite, you don't need the number (I read that over at avsforum. I have a serial No if you want one. :) ).

I'm wondering if you can burn a new cd by copying the one that came with the card, but replace the driver files with the newer ones, so they get installed instead.

What revision are you running?

Gary.

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I think it's driver version 7109 - I'm doing a full reinstall of everything tonight so I'll have a look.

It must be possible to get the drivers on. Your 7199 drivers are recommended by many people over at avs so you may be ok.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    I've sent you a pm...

Gary.