1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supergirl Season 2 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Casimir Harlow, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,329
    2. Jessica Noir

Jessica Noir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +298
      I need to get more into Supergirl. Saw most of the first season and it showed real promise so looking forward to binging season 2.

Great to see Melissa Benoist on screen, she was terrific in Patriots Day and Whiplash.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. BOFH_UK

BOFH_UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +75
      Have to say that Supergirl has become one of my favourite superhero shows (and that includes movies) since I came across it last year. It's got a strong cast, good to great storytelling with very few episodes I'd consider poor and endless ambition. Granted it doesn't always have the budget to deliver that ambition but when a show gives us Mr Mxyptilk, the music mister, parasite, white martians (not, as my autocorrect insists, martinis) and a full blown alien invasion I'm not going to complain if we spend a scene too many in standing sets or the effects sometimes seem to be provided by the South Park team.

Hands down its best weapon however is Melissa Benoist in the title role. She's note perfect and can carry pretty much everything they throw at her. Put it this way, in terms of superhero casting she's up there with RDJ, Chris Evans and Christopher Reeve in my book. Plus no matter what's being thrown at Kara on screen Melissa always manages to make her seem, well, heroic and relatable... a trick which wouldn't go amiss with her big screen DC counterparts right now.

Series 2 is well worth picking up and if you need to catchup on S1 there's a box set of the two for around a tenner more than S2 alone (or go with Now TV which has all of S1 and will likely get S2 when the new series rolls round in a month or so). The one note of caution though concerns the CW crossovers. There were two this year, the 3 part Invasion story and the Supergirl / Flash musical episode and both are really good. In fact seeing Supergirl basically point and laugh at anything the rest of the CW shows consider a threat would make my top 5 moments of 2016. Unfortunately ALL of this stuff is on the other shows box sets and while there's an Invasion collection available (which HMV are doing at £2.99 with any other purchase) it's only available on DVD. Frustrating if you're not really invested in one or more of the other three shows.

4. brian s

brian s
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,222
      For a while Zavvi were selling the season two blu for £40 but the season one and two set for only £35. I already have the LOT set will be buying the Flash blu but I'm bored with Arrow. So that Invasion DVD is a possible way of all of those episodes without getting the latest Arrow season. I'm not looking forward to the musical episodes though.

Bri