Superbowl in HDTV

J

joys_R_us

The Pay-TV provider Premiere in Germany will broadcast the Superbowl on February 1st / 2nd in HDTV. Details will be announced on Monday but so much is known:

They will rent additional transponders on Astra and the broadcast will be unencrypted.

They are testing the grounds...

:clap: :clap:

Happy Days! My Skystar2 is en route :)

Wonder if it will have english commentary?

If you regard Ameican English as English it is said this will be the only available option... :D

The broadcast was announced by the CEO of Premiere in their own magazine and also in German media though the technicalities are still unclear...

Even if they can't manage it until next Sunday it shows there is some HDTV awareness by the broadcasters... which makes me hope for the future :blush:

News from the DVD world

Premiere transfer NFL Superbowl into HDTV
23.01.2004 (ks)

As the first German TV transmitter premiere transfers the NFL Superbowl on 1 February 2004 into HDTV. Michael Jachan from premiere enterprise communication communicated that premiere would take over the HDTV feed of the NFL. The HDTV transmission is to take place parallel to the normal DVB transmission on premiere sport. For this a further branch RA satellite transponder will presumably be used at short notice. In the discussion the transponder is 103 on the Sat position 19,2 degrees of east premiere the Superbowl with high security unencrypted into HDTV will for this at present transfer, since there are so far still no HDTV Sat hDTV-Sat-Receiver with premiere certifying on the market. The used transmission format will be presumably 1080i (1920 x of 1080 pixels). Whether in 50 cycles per second or 60 cycles per second one sends, is not certain yet exactly. Premiere transfers simply the original NFL HDTV feed to English, since its own production of the premiere presentation is at present not yet in HDTV possible. The HDTV transmission will take presumably approximately four hours and against 00:40 o'clock on 1 February will begin. Premiere regards the HDTV transmission first of all as technique demonstration, which is supported also by the satellite operator Astra. A HDTV transmission of further sport vents is quite conceivable. At the moment a general HDTV transmission of premiere program contents is however still no topic. For this would have to be clarified in particular with the features still right and Lizenfragen with Hollywood hollywood-Studios, are called it by premiere. Potentially also interest exists to be able to transfer possibly the football WM 2006 into HDTV with premiere. Since the rights are however not yet assigned here, the topic is for the moment still pure speculation. The Superbowl transmission takes place in the USA at CBS and by Sony is gesponsert. In the USA the Superbowl belongs regularly to the TV Events of the yearly, with which the TV transmitters can obtain the highest advertising prices per Spot.

Paul

Eurovision will be HD apparently but Euro1080 will encrypt this broadcast unfortunatly. Why can't this be FTA I'm wondering ?

Originally posted by PaulB
News from the DVD world

Premiere transfer NFL Superbowl into HDTV
23.01.2004 (ks)

As the first German TV transmitter premiere transfers the NFL Superbowl on 1 February 2004 into HDTV. Michael Jachan from Paul

snip...

Oh dear another ones of those totally ungramatical translations!!

Originally posted by RecordablDVDfan
snip...

Oh dear another ones of those totally ungramatical translations!!

Blame Google! Mind you, I'd be hard pushed to translate even a handfull of words never mind sentences!
Paul

Give it another try...:

Premiere beginnt mit HDTV-Tests auf Astra
27.01.2004 (ks)

Der Pay TV-Sender Premiere hat mit ersten HDTV-Ausstrahlungen auf dem Astra-Satelliten 19.2 Grad Ost begonnen. Auf diesem Transponder soll in der Nacht vom 1. auf den 2. Februar auch der "Superbowl" in HDTV übertragen werden (wir berichteten). Laut Premiere werden auf dem Astra-Transponder verschiedene Tests stattfinden. Im Moment soll bislang aber nur eine Testtafel ohne Ton ausgestrahlt werden. Premiere übernimmt den HDTV-Feed aus den USA 1:1. Entsprechend wird dieser in 1080i mit 60 Hz übertragen. Die Empfangsparameter des Testtransponders sehen wie folgt aus:

Transponder 103
Frequenz 12,46050 GHz
Horizontal
Symbolrate 27,5
FEC 3/4

They are already testing. The broadcast is 1080i on 60Hz. Bad that I do not have an HDTV sat receiver :mad:

I have been tuned in to that for the past few hours and I am only getting still shot adverts (OTTO) with no audio. It might start later on, still early in USA.
Jim

I did regular checks last night until just after midnight and caught nothing, that is about 4pm Pacific time.
I thought of recording but it would probably need to be retuned when the transmission starts.

Jim

Thanks to Derrick from the DVBViewer forum, the Super Bowl channel details are attached

Rittberg

Attachments

• channel.jpg
    channel.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 342
Just tried to tune that channel in now, when I scan the transponder in Progdvb I get three channels, but I don't get any picture from any of them:

moreTV
OTTO SHOP
DPC.TV 3

Euro 1080 is working fine though (65% CPU on a 3Ghz P4!)

I dont use Progdvb but I think it uses the Marfi filter also as does DVBviewer. If so then there is a problem either with the transmission or with the Marfi filter and to view the test picture you need to set the Audio PID to 0. Lets hope for a solution before Sunday night. There is more info at the DVBviewer forum.
The channel is DPC.TV 3

Jim

Just had a look at the properties of that channel - 89% signal quality, 1920*1088, 2.7MB/s. No picture though, maybe they're just not broadcasting at the moment.

Ronin they are still transmitting. I am looking at it right now

Jim

Finally got it working! I had to buy the full version of the DVB Viewer software on the site. The CD that came with my card had a Technisat version and that didn't work. Here's the settings I had to change to get it to work:

Audio Pid: 0
Source Filter: Skystar 2 Filter 4.2x
Render Output: Unchanged

Source Filter:
Video Filter: Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder
Audio Filter: MPEG Audio Decoder

Hi,

Thanks to Derrick/DVBViewer forum, adjust the AudioPID to 67 and you will listen to music (at 348kbps/48khz).

Rittberg

Video feed has started up, now broadcast live from the stadium. It's working in Progdvb now too :rolleyes:

All working here - Beyonce in HD looks great.

Correction, DVBViewer got the framerate wrong, it was 29.97, which is why there where no standards conversion issues.

Thanks to Premiere/Astra etc for making Superbowl FTA.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom