Superbit

2manyconsoles

Standard Member
What's the story with these, don't see it talked about too often and not even sure if they are releasing titles currently.
Are people not fussed about them due to lack of extras or have they just not caught on much?

Tardis

Pooon

Distinguished Member
The point of the superbit is that they don't have extras, they use the space on the disc usually taken up by extra to create the picture at a higher bit-rate, and they also add DTS sound to the movies as well(correct me if i'm wrong on that). And as far as i know it is only Columbia that do superbit discs which would explain the lact of good films available.

F

FoxyMulder

Another point worth considering is that other labels get it "right" first time and provide ton's of extras on a second disc and effectively have as good a picture as any Superbit title.

Might be worth asking yourself if Columbia just like making us all pay two and three times for the same film.

G a f f e r

Other film companies do things like "high bit rate transfer" versions of their own as well (indiana jones trilogy I think) but they don't give it any special names - they just do it 'properly' in the first place like Foxymulder said.

Also, columb/trist are owned by Sony so any sony produced films might end up "superbitted".

the_pauley

Banned
In other words, they'll deliberately hold back on best picture and audio quality the first time round, do it properly second time round and call it "Superbit" and hope you'll buy again..

"Superbit" is a brand name, not a technical standard.

And before we get deluged by the "Superbit" fanboys going on about how much better their "Fifth Element" "Superbit" is compared to the standard release, etc; yes, we know it is, but there was nothing to stop Sony/Columbia/Tri Star making it that quality on the standard edition. They simply chose not to in order to sell it twice.

Don't the Superbit brigade realise that as long as they keep buying movies twice, this company will continue to pull this scam?

Live with the marginally less refined pic and audio quality of the standard releases for a little while longer. Boycott future "Superbit" releases, e-mail S/C/TS and tell them why you are doing so, tell them you're also going to cut back on buying their standard releases until they begin to maximize the pic and audio quality, and you'll soon see them sit up and take notice.

It's a marketing ploy - plain and simple.

my copy of swat was made in a high defination looks s**thot

the_pauley

Banned
:rolleyes: "Sigh!" :rolleyes:

F

FoxyMulder

If Columbia want to make Superbit stand out from the crowd heres my suggestion.

Release all titles with the following specs.

DTS 1536kb/s audio
DD 2.0 192kb/s audio (( to ensure the dvd standard is met ))
All titles to be 2 disc releases with all extras on the second disc

Alternatively they could stop filtering their titles first time round and release all extras on a second disc, and maximise the picture quality, even an audio commentary isn't going to cut into the picture quality if they do it "right" first time and stop filtering the high frequencies from their releases.

One last point, Superbit is indeed a marketing ploy and perhaps if they continue to tell consumers that all the disc space is used to maximise picture quality we can have trading standards take action against them as this is simply not true, worst example is Charlies Angels Superbit version which has over 3 gigabytes of unused disc space, now c'mon you tell me the ditching of a 192kb/s commentary track made a big difference to the picture quality ?
also worth noting that with 3 gigabytes of unused space on that first disc they could have just kept all the extras on it instead of shifting them to the second disc, but then people would have realised it was all a scam and that just wouldn't do now would it.

Jeff

Superbit is all about having more pciture detail through less horizontal filtering. Most people can't see this detail because they don't have the equipment to resolve it, they then complain that this is some sort of scam. If all the DVD producers employed this level of filtering you would see far more compression artefacts, extreme care must be taken when doing the transfer, this means far more manual intervention, read cost.

F

FoxyMulder

Yes Jeff and thats why other companies consistently produce great looking discs first time round, cost isn't the issue this is all about making more money and you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Jeff

No, I can appreciate the difference because I can see the extra detail. Sure lots of other DVDs look great, but I can tell they are heavily filtered.