superbit or d theatre

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by fizzgog, Mar 13, 2006.

1. fizzgog

fizzgog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    whats the difference/benefits of the two and which is better?
    many thanx
    pete

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Superbit DVDs are a bit of a marketing ploy by Sony/Columbia to get you to buy a movie yet again in another version. Most DVDs are recorded with a bit rate averaging 6-8 Mbps. Sony have tended to release their movies (Spiderman springs to mind) with lower than average bitrates and the resulting image is lacklustre to say the least. Then they release a Superbit version with a bitrate around 8Mbps and say the image has improved. Indeed it has improved from their previous version, but it is still only as good as most other companies are releasing as standard.
    D-Theater on the other hand is a tape based medium recorded in 1080i true High Def with a bitrate nearer 28Mbps and is in another world to Superbit DVD. You need a special D-Theater D-VHS deck to play these tapes but the results are stunning and until HD-DVD is available, this is one of the only routes to pre-recorded High Def movies.

3. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yep - I'd agree with the first bit. The second bit was an education, for which I'm grateful - ta.

I'm not planning on going tape just to get 1080i - some of the stuff I've seen is so subtlely better that it isn't worth the investment - and I'm talking about better PJs than mine.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I would agree that if you do not already have D-Theater, then avoid! There is only about 100 movies made on D-Theater and nobody is making them anymore. When HD-DVD and Blu-Ray come out, the value of D-Theater will plumet a bit like Laserdisc did when DVD came out so you'll be left with a medium you'll find it hard to give away. At the moment they sell for a fortune (secondhand tapes around £20 each, players for £250).
    But I must say that the difference in quality is astounding to my eyes. It made my DVDs look like VHS video and the depth, clarity and detail is fantastic.

Great if you own it, too late to get into it if you don't is my opinion unless you can pick up a player and loads of tapes for a bargain price!

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Worth ever penny :) and currently the only way to archive Hidef broadcasts to tape ;). Also the machines are excellent decoders for TS streams.. which means you only need a low powered/spec pc to process the movies.

As above the format is dead for pre-recorded stuff... worth it if you get a good deal on a bulk buy. It will keep me happy until the next gen has settled in.. I very much doubt that the actually picture quality between the formats will differ.. so I will not be replacing any of my tapes until they or the machines fall apart :)

Matt