1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superbit DVDs

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bleach, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this should really be in the DVD section but..

Has anyone tried one of these on their plasmas?
    What sort of difference (if any!) did you notice?
    Are they worth buying?

Cheers

2. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I own several superbit titles and the best two are fifth element and Panic Room. The effect on plasma panels is almost unoticable with a reduction in artifacting being the main highlight. On the projector the the effect is much more noticable as the video processor is being given a lot more bandwith to work with.

In short i don't think that plasma has the internal scalers/line doublers to get the maximum benefit from superbit !

Phil

3. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I think superbit is a bit of a gimic, DVD's are encoded using a variable bit rate, usually the encoding software will take a number of passes analysing the data to ensure that when there is alot of movement a high bit rate is used and when there isn't a lower bit rate is used. DVD has a maximum bit rate of about 10Mbps including audio and usually with a variable bit rate encode you would set a maximum and a minimum. Max would normally be about 8 Mbps. If a disk has been encoded like this then I doubt that superbit will make any difference, the DVD cannot go beyond the 10Mbps max anyway. If your DVD player has a bit rate monitor you can have a look at how it varies throughout the film. There's no point in giving a scene with very little movement 8 Mbps it'll make very little difference, that to me is what superbit disks are claiming, they're giving a higher bandwidth to the film. It's not always required.

I hope I explained that OK.

John.

4. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ironic you should post this; I took a Superbit title with me today to view on the Sammy plasma (having already viewed regular edition discs); and I have to say it HAS convinced me to buy!

I am now in the (sad state of affairs, this!) process of mocking up a 42" wide scaled spread of newspaper just to be absolutely certain the display won't look unsightly big in the corner of my living room.... :blush:

If it works out, I'm back out later tonight to part wiv me cash!

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yay!

/me got size approval from the other half and am now off to increase the profits of Dixons shareholders!

:D

6. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thank god i'm not the only one to do this.

7. hawkeye

hawkeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too !!

8. MrNoisy

MrNoisy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto - see piccy!

Attached Files:

9. todinks

todinks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a projector & my friend has a plasma & i've seen all types of dvd's on both

the sad part with dvd's is that they are all not the same quality
    some dvd's are shockingly poor in picture quality..the grainyness of the picture is awful, more so since it really stands out with a projector

there are dvd's out there that are similar to superbit dvd's with respect to sound and picture quality but u can never be sure which ones they are...

at least with superbit dvd's you KNOW that you're getting good quality and YES there is a big difference when watching these dvd's, be it plasma or projector..i've seen it and heard it and the sound and picture quality is stunning

the only negative is the titles available in superbit..so few:(
    i personally own the fifth element,snatch,air force one,mask of zorro & am hugely satisfied..i had started to think that i'd purchased a crap projector but with these dvd's (& some others out there) the true mind-blowing capabilities of my projector have simply floored me
    i am one content puppy:D

star wars:attack of the clones is the best quality dvd i've seen so far...the picture is flawless and the sound actually rattled my window panes

10. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I did the same! All summer I had the outline of the 42" Panny in masking tape up on the wall much to the amusement of non-believers. I also wrote 42" in tape too inside the box :cool: