1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SuperBit DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by EDDS, Jul 7, 2005.

1. EDDS

EDDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    anyone have any "superbit" dvd's?

if you do, do they still have the special features or are they cut out to make the movie better? and how much better is the qaulity and sound compared to a normal version?

SuperBit DVD's

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    They dont have any extras as the space is 'supposed' to be fully utilised for the movie and soundtrack. As to the quality the ones i have seen have been fine, but i havent directly compared them to the non superbit counterparts.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I have a few and cant see what the fuss is. I have benn totally disapointed with the superbit pic, DTS sound is always good though.

Seems like a bit of a gimic as you can get good enough transfers on normal DVD releases these days. Maybe 4-5 years ago these disc's would of impressed but not now.

I wonder if they will have a HD superbit? :rolleyes:

:D

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Superbit in theory was a good idea but too often in practice its a lazy excuse to give us the decent pic quality that we should always have had and its worth noting some Superbit titles still contain edge enhancement and standard releases from companies like Warner Bros or New Line can often look better than the so called Superbit titles ( also worth noting a title like the region 1 edition of Spiderman contains a commentary track, thus theres no reason why others can't and not all the data is used, Charlies Angels has over 3 gigabytes of unused space available on the disc )

Personally i think Columbia titles often contain far too much edge enhancement and Superbit titles have contained it too therefore i think its an out and out gimick which frankly serves to annoy those of us who know better.

5. EDDS

EDDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    thanks for the replys, i think i'll stick to buying normal dvd's with extra's.

6. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    "Superbit Deluxe" have the extra on a 2nd disc.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I do have quite a few R2 Japanese Superbits.
    And I have compared the ones I have with the regular versions. I was surprised at the quality of some of these.
    My favorite has to be "The fast and the Furious". Pic as well as sound are amazing. Much better that the original release.

The best way to watch these is on an upscaling Player like the Denon 2910 and 3910. (i have the 3910) hooked up to an HD panel. (LCD or Plasma). You get stunning results.

I agree that some of these releases arent as good as they should be but the ones that are good are really good.

Also dont quite understand why they dont release these with a second disk with extras. Since the cost so much more than regular DVDs they should at least give us some extras.

Still, since HD formats are coming soon, im not buying as many Superbits as I used to. Just gonna wait.

8. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    all releases should be on two discs the first just containing the film using all available disc space on maximizing picture and sound quality. the second disc containing the extras. and why cant the discs be encoded throughout at a constant bitrate of around 9mbits a second, surely an avarage movie of 90mins would fit. or am I being to demanding.

9. oh aye

oh aye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one superbit dvd spiderman 2 R3. I paid about £11 for it the picture is very good but having not compared it to the standard dvd couldn't say if it was better. I do like the superbit idea because i never use the extras on any of my dvds and i own about a 150, also i love DTS sound.

10. HitmanKelly

HitmanKelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    what is HD then??

11. EDDS

EDDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: