1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superb Review of BenQ clone

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    December issue of Widescreen Review (a VERY well respected US AV magazine - these guys really know their stuff!) has a review of the Vidikron Vision 20 which is 1024x576 Runco clone/sibling of the BenQ. (The Vidikron Vision 40 is the same resolution as the BenQ 8700)

Some quotes;

"Best imagery I've seen from an under $10,000 projector and this one was priced almost half of that".

On de-interlacing (using the ST:Insurrection torture test) "the Vidikron looked as if it had a two-thousand dollar outboard processor stuck on its front end...very impressive".

WOW!

Paul

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have they reviewed the Vidikron Vision 40 model yet?

1280x720 is my minimum requirement :)

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hi Kramer,
    No, not yet but I'd imagine that it (the 40 or the BenQ8700) will likely be reviewed at some point.

Given the ridiculously low price of the 8700 HD2 projector (£3173 inc vat!!) and its rather decent performance, I'm stunned that it doesn't get more coverage than it does. Its barely mentioned this side of the pond.

Edit - Weren't you doing a review of the 8700, maybe I'm imagining it?
    Paul

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That'd be because it's not a Z2 :D

Haven't seen the Benq myself yet but I need a long(ish) throw PJ so the Z10k looks like the choice for me.

Still over budget though :(

Having said that, if the "40" is quiet in operation, I could reassess the siting & consider that.

:smoke:

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The Z2 is rather popular ! :D

They do say fan noise is an issue - some 37db. This is a problem too with the 8700/40 but this is supposed to be getting addressed.

Only other negative comment was that its not the nicest looking of projectors.
    Paul

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

:eek: :eek:

Sean G.

7. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a very well priced machine, and I actually bought one, though I have since returned it. It wasnt the Fan noise, which I didnt find a problem when viewing with sound up to my normal listening level.

The issue was image distortion. The picture thrown from the PJ would curve inwards (bow in) from the extreme left and right of the picture as you viewed it from the top of the picture downwards. This was present on both machines (BenQ sent me a replacment for the first one). On a picture that was 165cm (viewable) from left to right, it effectivly meant that 2-2.5 cm was curved in on either side (left and right), from the middle of the picture downwards. Also at the very bottom of the picture as you viewed, the image would curve up 1-1.5 cm, as if it was smiling !!

To me this was quite off-putting. As a newbie to PJ I didnt know if this was acceptable or not - I liased with my dealer Ken of Ivojo (who was really helpful and provided excellent service throughout). Ken thought it unaceptable, hence helped organised firtsly a replacment, then a refund.

I know that other BenQ users have not experienced this, hence I couldnt tell you why it was occuring. The screen is perfectly flat, the PJ was installed/ceiling mounted proffesionally by Ivojo well within specification. Perhaps the combination of a small screen screen, short throw and minimum zoom, highlighted some deficiancies in the optics ??.

8. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Sorry to hear of your problems - what ya going for next then?
    Paul

9. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. nathwasere

nathwasere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently saw the Cineversum 8 and it is AWESOME. The 'Master' external video processor with it I think gives the best DLP based home cinema projector money can buy. The only problem is - cost - I haven't seen any UK pricing, but being Barco it'll be ££££ but worth it if you have the budget to accomodate it.

11. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Gulp! Thats quite a leap in price! Might be worth looking at the upcoming Samsung though, this looks to be a real winner (the man behind it is none other than Joe Kane, he of Video Essentials fame - this alone puts the Samsung way out in front of its rivals as he's not allowing it to be released until its pq is perfect!). Also, it will be more "mainstream" than the Cineversum which may be quite useful. Not sure about price though, about £7000 I think but can't remember.
    Paul

12. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CV70 is a standalone unit, hence doesnt have the 'Master' external processor, like the CV80 does. Prices for the CV70 are about the same as other HD2+ DLP's (£7500 approx is MSRP).

13. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    tbrar,

That problem you had with the lens distortion sounds like something I read on AVS about the BenQ having a distortion at one extreme end of the zoom range. I'm interested in the BenQ myself, did you mange to get a demo before buying ? I wonder if Ivojo would let me try before I buy ?

Allan

14. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allan,

I did get a demo, however the demo was in completely different circumstances as to what my viewing is at home as it was on site at BenQ's distributers.

I have limited space in my room, the distance between the Lens and PJ was about 2.65 Meters (room is 3.11 meters long). At this distance, with little/no zoom I was able to fill my 5.5 foot wide screen. Hence it would have been at the extreme of the zoom setting.

Ken from Ivojo will be able to set something up for you should you wish, at the very least a demo. Certainly worth asking - give him a call.

15. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The BenQ should slot in perfectly for me. It will be going in a small room with limited options for projector mounting resulting in a 1:1.5 throw ratio - slap in the middle of The BenQs range of 1.33 to 1.65. It even has a similar vertical offeset to my current projector as well.

Just need a demo to verify that rainbows aren't going to be an issue, noise is acceptable and the upgrade is worthwhile over my Epson TW100.

If Ken reads here, please feel free to contact me via PM

Allan

16. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul - Yes it is !! :eek:.

The BenQ is a fantastically priced machine, though it didnt work for me. I could then look at another HD2 machine (S2/10K/Virtuoso etc, etc), however these are priced pretty much in line with the newer HD2+ machines. It therefor makes sense IMHO to look at a HD2+.

Of all I am am very interested in the Barco CV70, simply because of their pedigree and you would expect them to produce an excellent machine (I didnt know this untill recently but Barco are one of only three PJ manufacturers liciensed by Hollywood to produce Digital Cinema. Out of the three, they are the only one that operate in the Proffessional and Home markets - at least according to thier Web site - downloadable PDF). I will know more soon enough.

The Joe Kane Samsung machine does look the business though, but if he is really not releasing it until he has acheived perfect picture quality, I wonder how long it will be before its shipping ?.

Tony

17. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, not long then ! - just posted a link on the Samsung thread thats running.

18. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thrar

BenQ released several new items. The PE8710 will be an upgrade to the current PE8700. The PE8710 incorporates the latest HD2+ DLP chip with 2500:1 contrast, and a 7-segment color wheel with 300 Hz refresh rate. That compares to the 8700's HD2 chip, 2000:1 contrast, and 6-segment, 240 Hz wheel. The 8710 will replace the 8700 at the same estimated street price of $5,999, making it the lowest priced HD2+ machine on the market. It is scheduled to ship in April.

19. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks.

I to have seen the press releases/discussion on the 8710, and it looks as though BenQ have a really terrific machine on the way at an excellent price.

I have however just recieved my Marantz VP12S3, so I wont be relavent for me.

20. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the new Benq 8710 in action last week at the CES, it looks good although to be honest it really didn't look much different to the 8700 (at least I think it was the 8710 - it was advertised as such). Obviously, if you're thinking about the 8700 you might want to consider waiting but from what I've seen if you want a 8700/8710 and see a 8700 at a good price you're not getting a significantly inferior product. If you're feeling flush several manufacturers were also showing (either actual demo or static) 3-chip HD2 DLP based machines which looked rather nice.

Regarding the barrel distortion for some reason some short throw lenses in some installations do throw up this effect and once you notice it can become annoying. The InFocus 7200 also seems to suffer (there is a long thread on avsforum about the InFocus barrel distortion). In my view it is a step backwards that so few manufacturers offer a model with multiple lense options - a consequence of price pressure and economies of scale I suppose.

21. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This is the PJ I've decided to take a punt on. I was thinking of the HS20 as I'm fortunate enough to benefit from Sony staff discounts, but that BenQ looks like it'll fit my requirements very nicely.

As for the estimated ship date...Is that a US or UK ship date? and...Any idea if that's still accurate? BenQ wouldn't tell me anything about this PJ really. When I told them all I know and made it clear I won't be buying an 8700 they said it "should ship sencond half of '04". I'm looking for a PJ before then.

Mark.