• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

superb read

FrancescoNoir

The first part was unnecessary technobabble. The second half was fanboy hyperbole.

SAH

Banned
Didn't take long did it.

A very technical article that baffled me, but seems to be based on good info, is dimissed as fanboy bull****.

How dare someone write a pro PS3 article, naughty boy :rolleyes:

The Tokyo show can't come soon enough so they can show what PS3 is capable of, playable games, BR playback, the works.

Maybe then we can move on from post after post dismissing the PS3 as a piece of s***!

Bilbob

The guy has obviously done a lot of work on the piece, and although I only scan-read it as opposed to going into detail, he appears to know his stuff.

The only I had with it, is that according to this (clearly quite intelligent) 20 year old, he is of the opinion that his knowledge supercedes all others, and comes to the conclusion that on every available aspect, the ps3 is considerably superior to the 360.

Two points about this:
Firstly, the perspective of the piece was obviously written by someone with a personal preference for the ps3, nowt wrong with that though...
2ndly, For every point he shows as a positive, others post it a negative. His opinion on the hardware is exactly that, his opinion, and shouldn't be taken as fact any more than anyone elses.

As I said, he clearly has a point to prove, and in saying that in every aspect the ps3 is superior, is unfortunately plain wrong, or at the very least, what he states as fact, is unproven. One bit he commenta about unified shaders, saying that unified shaders are not the way forward, even suggesting that ATI themselves are not sure... well, their current, and indeed their next gen hardware suggests they ARE sure about it, cos they seem to be shouting about it a lot.

Not saying it's all crap, but it is clearly written from a certain perspective. But let's face it, it's written onthe PS3 forum! That was ahrdly gonna appear on the xbox forums was it? I'd like to have seena genuinely balanced piece, written with genuine knowledge of the hardware in practise, not from reading specs. If it was a genuinely balanced piece of the quality it purports to be, then for the effort and research, as well as the (comparative) ease of reading, it would have warranted a piece in a printed format.

In summary, interesting, but hardly startling.

AML

Im not sure that the PS3 specs are fully finalized yet. There are too many roumors going about that cell will come out at a lower speed and such.

I dont buy into any roumors, but untill the PS3 is finaly released, its a bit unfair to be comparing it to anything.

We havent seen any results yet, and devs havent had much time with the PS3 yet. Ive also heard that many devs havent even received final kits yet. (maybe they have by now?)

I think a year or more from now will be the best time to compare the PS3 to the 360 or a PC

At the moment hes making comparisons based on the spec sheet that sony released initialy. Things may have changed by now.

Not being funny but as he says himself he is a 20 year old doing computer science. Let's see how well his theories work in real life when Sony actually have a console on the market.

Bilbob

Mickus said:
This article was discussed further on the Beyond3D forums (populated by real tech heads/game developers). At one point, the original author of the article pops in for a continuation of the discussion...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31917
Now that read was interesting!
Highlighted the points I made, and then some! At least the author had the guts to come and admit his shortcomings, and those of the article, not least admitting his personal bias. I think that was fairly obvious though given the wording and content of the article.

As I said earlier, and said many times on the b3d forum, it came very close to being a very good article. If the author re-wrote it with greater balance and more knowledge of the 360, it could be great.

SAH

Banned
Specs mean f*** all when the same machine can produce the delights of GT4 on the one hand, and on the other, Miidngiht Club Street Racing!

When people see screenshots etc. of the latest games, they'd do well to remember the developer may be crap, not the machine.

markmitt

As always with ANY machine, it'll be the best developers who get the most out of any console. In Sonys case, Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, Konami, etc...

AML

Even if the PS3 specs were better than the 360's, you wont see better games than what is starting to come out on the 360 now. Not from day one anyway.

It will take several months with the final kits before devs get used to the PS3 and manage to pull off amazing visuals like what we can see in upcoming titles for the 360 and PC.

Even then, that wont guarantee a good game.

People put so much enphasis on the hardware and what it can do that they seem to forget that unless devs use that harware properly, you wont get good results.

RobDickinson

Industry insiders have repetedly stated that games wont look much different on either console & they both have pro's/cons.

Sonys problems coem from BR and IBM/Cell design being hard to fab.

Ratinho

The 'Thanks' on the first reply. :rotfl:

Yeah, it's mainly a bias read, but no more so than any other pro website forum. It's convoluted, but a decent read.

Kazman

SAH said:
The Tokyo show can't come soon enough so they can show what PS3 is capable of, playable games, BR playback, the works.

Maybe then we can move on from post after post dismissing the PS3 as a piece of s***!

And if it doesn't, will you be man enough to say that you were wrong about the abilities of the PS3, or get one anyway?

Personally, I'm waiting on the Blu-Ray aspect of things. This is make or break for me right now. If it turns out to be decent, then I will buy one, if not, then I can wait till I buy a PS3, hopefully I can resist long enough until a price drop occurs (Tekken may suck me into buying it earlier though :D ).

The next show is very important for PS3, it NEEDS to show what it can do, both from a games perspective AND a Movie player perspective.

Here's hoping that it performs well, and keeps the gaming market thriving!

SAH

Banned
Kazman said:
And if it doesn't, will you be man enough to say that you were wrong about the abilities of the PS3, or get one anyway?

Personally, I'm waiting on the Blu-Ray aspect of things. This is make or break for me right now. If it turns out to be decent, then I will buy one, if not, then I can wait till I buy a PS3, hopefully I can resist long enough until a price drop occurs (Tekken may suck me into buying it earlier though :D ).

The next show is very important for PS3, it NEEDS to show what it can do, both from a games perspective AND a Movie player perspective.

Here's hoping that it performs well, and keeps the gaming market thriving!

I haven't even looked into pre-ordering at this time, I may buy a new PC instead.

But the latest Motorstorm video, and experience from PS1/PS2 launches reafirms my belief we have only seen the tip of the iceberg for PS3 titles.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom