1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super8 to DVD transfers

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by simonb68, May 31, 2004.

1. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for Super8 to DVD transfer services, preferably local (South Bucks) but anywhere would be considered. Also any 'steer clears' would be appreciated too. Any other things that I should consider too, like end format, if there are options, presumably its mpeg2 though. Specific transfer processes that I should check they use to improve the end quality etc.

Thanks
    Simon

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I wouldn't think a 1 off would be cheap. Have you not got a computer that can do this? It may be a lot easier than you think.

Let us know the specs of your PC and any DVD writer etc that you have and we will advise what else and at what cost it will be to DIY.
    Also let us know your DVD player so we can check the best media for it. The chances are that DVD-Rwill be best as it is the most compatable media.

If all else fails I would be willing to do it for you for the cost of the disk! The only problem is that you would need to send me your cam as I do not have an 8mm cam.

For a pro company to do it try 'Short Run Digital media' on 01923 261269. I've never used them so this is not a recommendation, just someone I found in Computer Video mag.

Mark.

3. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mark, thanks for the reply, I hope I was correct calling it Super8, the old cine type films on a reel, is this not their correct name?

I would consider doing it myself but, other than the time, I would need to setup the projector/screen and then borrow a decent digicam of some sort. There are then timing problems to overcome I've read plus probably a whole load of other things that are beyond a novice.

PC-wise I'd have no problem doing the necessary conversions and dvd burning once I'd read up on it, its getting the cine film on to a suitable media to mess around with on the PC. Hence why I was looking to use a professional service.

Its actually my dad that's looking into this and he's found a few services on the net, I would just rather use someone that I know to be reputable and gives good service.

Your find in the mag has made me think that it might be worth just buying a suitable camcorder or related mag and go through the ads in there, I would have thought there would be a few.

Thanks for the offer though, and any more tips are welcome.

Simon

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  5. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Shoehorn, thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look.

Simon

6. jonto1234

jonto1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shoehorn: have you had a chance to try the Hama Telecine converter yet? Would be interested to know if it works well?
    Thanks!

7. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Right... update on Cine to DVD transfers.....

I've now completed about 9 hours (!!!) of Super8 Cine Film to DVD.......

The Hama Telecine Converter was OK, but not brilliant....
    Had to play about quite a bit, and have ended up with some quite "good" hotspots.
    Still the original films are some 40 years old and to now have them on DVD is great, 'cause it means my parents can just watch them whenever, without having to set up all the gubbins and without being concerned about breaking/losing their treasured memories.... still... I ramble... 'cause I guess that's what everyone's wanting to achieve!

So the best way I found was to use the Hama Telecine Converter and an older analogue camcorder - my MiniDV didn't give as good results.

The projector needs to have a variable speed adjuster so that you can sinc the film other wise there will be strobing, as Cine tends to run at 18 fps and Camcorders run at 25 fps.

Simply adjust the speed on the projector until the strobing stops....

I have an analogue capture card on my PC, so I simply transfered the recorded footage to my HDD and then rendered to DVD format and burnt to disc.... I didn't do any editing....

So as the results we're OK, but not brilliant, I'm thinking of having them done professionally... but I guess I'll have to start saving...

Has anyone had this done - are there any recomendations..???

8. jonto1234

jonto1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SHOEHORN: many thanks for the update! My Hama telecine arrives tomorrow so I am a bit disappointed that you did not think your results were good. Can I ask a few questions:

What do you mean by "hotspots" on the Hama telecine?

You say "sync the speed on the projector until the strobing stops". When you set this, are you monitoring this strobing effect on the camcorder LCD display?

What is your main criticism of the results that you obtained? In what way are you not pleased with them?

Thanks for the ongoing feedback!

Regarding professional outfits to convert them, I was in contact with Alive Studios at
    http://www.alivestudios.co.uk/life/cine.php
    They were very helpful, and seem to charge by the hour of film rather than number of reels, so could work out cheaper if you have lots of smaller films. And they do the proper scanning of every individual frame (rather than some outfits that project and record with a camcorder!). But I have not actually used them yet (because of cost was going to try Hama unit first) so can not really comment.

9. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    To be fair, I guess I'm being a little over critical.... after all it's SO much cheaper to do all this at home, although, as you are aware, it's not a frame-by-frame professional effort - hence it's cheaper.
    It is great to have all the old footage on DVD - as I've mentioned it's readily watchable and there's no fear of breaking it.... or burning it if the projector were to stop!
    When I say hotspots, some of the movies I've video'd are very bright, almost over exposed in the middle, like when they show someone looking through a telescope on TV - the whole screen is bright, with the edges darker.... I hope that makes sense.... I don't know why this has happened though....
    I had my analogue camcorder set up to a portable (14") TV, so used that to monitor the strobing effect....
    The biggest problem with the strobing for me was that I had to re-adjust for some new reels of film - not all of them, but it wasn't just a case of set the correct speed for the first reel and keep that speed for all the others..... Once set for the reel being worked on, all was OK, but that's only 3 minutes worth, right!
    Main criticism is the hotspot / strobing as above....
    I did this as best as I could - if I'd spent a lot longer I think I could have improved my results, but in honesty, I just don't have the time!
    So what I was doing was correcting the strobing whilst videoing and not rewinding my cine film to re-video at the correct speed.
    To try and sum up... the results I've got from the Hama are acceptable, especially as now all the film is on DVD and watchable...
    BUT I'd really like to treat my folks to top quality, professional transfer - frame by frame - however the cost is somewhat prohibitve....
    (I'm going to check out ALive Studios - thanks for the link.)

10. jonto1234

jonto1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Shoehorn.

I will give it a try when my Hama unit arrives, using my recently purchased Panasonic MiniDV camcorder. Based on your experience, I may try my old Sony analogue camcorder as well - although will be a little upset if its better, having spent all the money recently on an expensive digital one!

Thanks again.