1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super8 film

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by thebrummy_one, Jun 14, 2004.

1. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Folks,
    My dad in the sixties, borrowed a super8 cine camera. He shot some film that has laid unviewed for forty years. :eek:
    What I want to do is transfer that onto a more modern media (stone tablets!!!)
    So what can I use to playback and transfer this type of media? Where can I get such a thing? Could I hire it as it's gonna be a one off? Would a film club have such a device? Any good clubs in the Romford area as I'm looking to join anyway?
    I have a Sony PC330 that has DV/AV in/out if that helps. Initially I want to put it on VHS for the folks, but I will eventually look to using it for PC editing if it's any cop. (Hopefully it's not mum and dad doing the naughty!!! ;) )

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Super 8 projectors are still quite readily available - just have a look on e-bay - many of them sell for around £20 - possibly cheaper than hiring one.
    If there are any good cine/video clubs in your area they will almost certainly have a projector that they may loan you - or at least one of their members may let you go to his house to use it.

The usual procedure is to mount the projector and your camcorder side by side with the len's about level and with a piece of pure white paper only a few inches in front of the lens. Play the film on the projector and record with your camera.

The only real problem you may have is flickering of the recorded video caused by the difference in frame rate between the cine and the video - this can usually be reduced to almost un-noticable by using a variable speed projector and changing the speed while watching the picture on you camcorder.

There are also several proffessional companies that can do the transfer for you at quite reasonably prices - I have never used any of them but one I have just plucked at random from a magazine is :-
    http://www.avsvideo.co.uk/

3. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Excellent BjC. I'll have a think of what way I want to go.
    I will be looking for a club to pester in the near future anyway. (newbies, pah!!)
    Thanks for your help,