Super Tweeters...

Dom36

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding them
I am thinking of purchsing a pair of these for my front 2 speakers, obviosly, but not sure quite how they work? Do you need to go into the back of my speaker to connect them in? Surely thats a bit risky???

P.S. Looking at around £200 to spend, if you got any ideas...?
Thanks for any help.

At a guess I would say that you just connect them to the speaker terminals on the back.
Not sure what it will do to the overall 'balance' of your speakers though.
Are you sure you wouldn't just be better off selling your fronts and getting a new pair?

The speakers Im using have a couple of super tweeters each. Always thought they were a bit of a gimmick, these are mounted on top of the cabinets facing upwards so tend to disperse the sound rather than give tighter imaging. Suprise, suprise they work, suddenly my 2 channel hifi system turns into full surround, then back to ordinary 2 channel. Strictly accurate ? dont know, but its effective and I like it.

These are embedded into the top of the cabinet, completely flush, not sure if how the crossover works? You could just pull out a bass driver and route a hole in the cabinet top.

Adding a supertweeter to a commercial loudspeaker would be largely a matter of luck if it had any beneficial effect at all.

You would need to modify your speaker's crossovers to feed them with only very high frequencies. What will you gain? You are almost bound to end up with a more ragged upper frequncy response that will be tiring to listen to. Speakers are endlessly optimised for the units they already have before being released. Adding another component is almost bound to unbalance their performance.

£200 could be spent in so many other ways that I find it hard to believe that anyone would even consider it worth spending a tenth of that amount.

Supertweeters are supposed to add a little "air" to a speaker's performance. If they don't come in the box when you buy your loudspeakers then you probably don't need or want the complication of adding them.

Buy some DVD's or CD's or add the £200 to your upgrade piggy bank. The money would be much better spent elsewhere.

Remember the Cerwin Vega ad: "Nobody ever screams for more treble!"

Never a truer word spoken! :)

Nimby

Thanks for that everybody.

Yea I just though they were another thing to attach on to your system but as you said if they wern't in the box, they won't be needed.
Think the money will be saved for now then.

Thanks.
Dom

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom