Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Version 3.0 releasing tomorrow, comes with Joker DLC if you've bought the season pass. The stage builder is also being added, alongside a video editor if you're into that sort of thing. Glad they've added custom stages, now we just need home-run contest and break the targets back and this really will be the ultimate smash game :)

Been dabbling with the stage builder all day, here’s a few of my early attempts:

Lava Cave LWDKFVD9
Why not? 036SC5K7
Nefarious Lab 1LXW9XY3
The Room MNDGCY29
Fighting Titans T2QPR5XD
South Park 373NFN65

Didn’t realise I needed NSO sub to access the stage builder :(

Never even looked at it. I get a free 7 days without signing up?

Having had a great Sunday afternoon playing Smash Brothers and Mario Kart on the GameCube with the grandkids, I thought it's time I bought this game for my Switch - the grandkids will love it - my now grown up daughter still remembered all the moves etc an kicked everyone's ar$e lol

In terms of controllers, what's good and not so good for this game given we all used the good 'old GameCube controllers the other day?

Having had a great Sunday afternoon playing Smash Brothers and Mario Kart on the GameCube with the grandkids, I thought it's time I bought this game for my Switch - the grandkids will love it - my now grown up daughter still remembered all the moves etc an kicked everyone's ar$e lol

In terms of controllers, what's good and not so good for this game given we all used the good 'old GameCube controllers the other day?

You can buy GC controllers for the Switch I think.

You can buy GC controllers for the Switch I think.

Yeh I've seen them - look great!! wonder if original GC controllers will work with some kind off adapter!!

Yeh I've seen them - look great!! wonder if original GC controllers will work with some kind off adapter!!

You need the Wii U GameCube adaptor. The official Nintendo ones are hard to find but this one should do the trick

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Info vid straight from Sakurai on the new fighter, Dragon Quest’s ‘Hero’, available today.

Online tournies, spectator modes, and easy mode for the World of Light adventure are also being added in version 4.0

Version 6.0 is on the way soon, and Sakurai’s showing off a Terry Bogard video tomorrow. There’s also an exclusive dlc pack for Switch online members on the eshop featuring extra music, mii outfits and gold coins.

Help!!! Haven't played a fighter in years. Have always been put off by the complicated moves list that some fighting games have. Would love to try this game but am worried I'll have the same issues.
How is the control scheme on Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for an absolute n00b?

Help!!! Haven't played a fighter in years. Have always been put off by the complicated moves list that some fighting games have. Would love to try this game but am worried I'll have the same issues.
How is the control scheme on Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for an absolute n00b?
I would say its not as complex as a street fighter/mortal kombat as fat as moves go. My 7 year old copes OK with it at basic level.

Have a look at this video to see if ts something you want to play:

It's a pretty simple control scheme compared to other fighting games. Special attacks are pulled off with a combination of B or A and a direction. You can also dodge incoming attacks, or grab and throw an opponent if they're close enough. Fighters generally have similar types of attacks assigned to a button combo, for instance Up + B is usually a recovery move that allows you to get back on a platform if you're launched off screen.

It's easy to have fun with this even without learning any move sets for characters. But mastering the game and learning when and how to use attacks an items is really rewarding. There's a huge amount of depth and content on offer, but at its heart this is a great, competitive party game (like Mario Kart) so if you have the chance to play against friends or family I'd highly recommend giving it a go.

What I always liked about smash is it's very easy to grasp but very difficult to master. The real basics are not complicated, there's a button for hitting, a button for specials and then direction plus those buttons vary what you do. The difficulty comes in recovering from damage, knowing your stuff and learning to use extras stuff like guards and throws. Button mashing at first would be fine against low level cpus but wouldn't work on those that know how to play. It's still a blast to play and work up to being a good player. It doesn't have things like complicated combos that most fighters rely on for you to be good at them.

Anyone still playing this? Brought it today and never played Smash before

Any tips or if people still have a go online be good to try a few games out

Anyone still playing this? Brought it today and never played Smash before

Any tips or if people still have a go online be good to try a few games out
If you find yourself enjoying it and playing it quite often you might want to invest in a dedicated controller, since the analog stick can take quite a beating from Smash. I definitely wouldn't play it with a joycon.

The old Gamecube controller is supported and arguably ideal but you will need an adapter. You can get wireless Gamecube controllers that are essentially Gamecube controller shaped pro controllers but they're around £40 new. Hori do a wired licensed Gamecube usb controller you can get for between £15-25 that come in different colours/nintendo characters. Other companies do similar controllers but I'd go for Hori over them.

The benefit of going wired is it reduces input lag, the downside is there is always the risk you could pull your Switch dock over in the heat of battle and damage your Switch. The Hori wire length is decent but liked to use an extension to have plenty of slack. As well as Smash the controller could be useful as a spare for other multiplayer games like Mario Kart. One thing the Hori Gamecube controller does though is swap the R/L and R2/L2 trigger around which could through you off if you use it for other games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom