Super Slim PS2 - SCPH-90003 Now out in The UK

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by AnthonyG, Feb 6, 2009.

1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    This is good news, and felt I had to share this with others looking for this console too.

But earlier this week I emailed Sony UK Playstation support, asking them to consider releasing the new Super Slim SCPH-90000 Console in the UK.

Specifically as due to the PS3 not offering backwards compatibility for PS2, anyone is now going to need to buy the PS2, and thus if you are buying it may as well be the best Sony has to offer.

This is the response I have just got back from Sony today.

I took out my name, and the responders name just for possibly privacy issues.

But this is fantastic news, and am amazed none of the news sites picked up on this, now we just need to find one.

Does the PS2 retail box have the console version printed anywhere on it?, or is it possibly like the Xbox360 where there is a window in the back.

I might go SCPH-90003 hunting next week.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    What's different about it?
    I can't find any pictures to compare it against the existing slimline ps2.

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Just google SCPH-90000, this is the one released in japan. There are many topics about it, alongside a video on youtube of someone comparing the two consoles side by side.

It has for one an internal multivoltage PSU, like the old fat PS2's did.

It also weighs much lighter than the slims.

The size is not that much smaller, if really at all, its just been dubbed "super slim" because its much lighter and all of the components inside are smaller too. e.g the motherboard is half the size of the previous.

New Sony PS2 SCPH-90000 announced

PLAYSTATION®2 (SCPH-90000 SERIES) COMES IN A NEW DESIGN AND IN THREE COLOR VARIATIONS | PRESS RELEASES | Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PlayStation 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I want to know is that does the box off the Ps2 contain the SCPH number of the console inside.

Or is there any way to distinguish the version console via the box?

4. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    the machine itself looks different.

The older slims look like this:

[​IMG]

And the 9000 models don't have the gloss strip in the middle, like this:

[​IMG]

5. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Another revision of the PS2? Woah, I wonder when they're gonna discontinue it...:confused:

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Probably not for a long time given that games are still frequently being release for it, and they're selling well.

And most importantly, unlike the Xbox360, the PS3's don't now have backwards compatibility.

7. pw00t

pw00t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes, the model number will be on the box. You can get the older model for about £50 so I don't see them selling many of the new models quite yet.

8. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Yeah you're right on that one, I did some googling and phoning around and everywhere is selling them between £90-£105.

Gamestation is the £105.

They really by now should be closer to £70 RRP, that is what I believed they were.

9. Magic Walrus

Magic Walrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I recently bought a new PS2 and unfortunately could not find one of these. I looked everywhere in a few cities and the only place I could find selling brand new consoles were Argos. Not even the Sony Centre had them in stock. Game and Gamestation were only selling preowned consoles. The one I got was the older SCPH-79000 model. Looks like new PS2s have dried up here in the UK.

10. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Thanks for this,

Sony really need to drop the RRP.

I telephoned up a couple of stores, and Gamestation were selling these for £105 brand new, £40 second hand.

£100 at Amazon and Play too.

When you can get a Jasper Arcade for £130 RRP nobody is unfortunately going to pay £105 for a PS2.

A fairer RRP would be £50-£70. (Shame nobody from Sony reads these threads though).

11. slaanesh

slaanesh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought one of these SCPH-90002 (Australian version) a while ago. I suspect it could be the last PS2 made. I also bought the very first Sony PS2 (bought on the launch day) but that one had problems with it's laser. Unfortunately I never got it fixed when Sony were offering free refurbs :-(

However, the latest model is fantastic is every way except one - there's no on/off switch. To completely switch it off you need to switch the main power off.

12. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I picked one of the new SCPH-90003 models on Ebay for £50 new and sealed. If anyone's looking I think it's easier to find one on the cheap there.

13. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Excellent!.

Was it just a one off or a retailer selling multiples, and was it buy it now or did you win an auction?

If it was multiples and buy it now, do you possibly have the name of the seller (If it can't be mentioned on the forum, could you possibly PM me with the sellers name.

As I am wanting to get a PS2 to replace the one I gave to my niece for Xmas, but really only want to get the SCPH-90000 series as I am one of those fussy people that only want the latest gear.

14. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    It was a one-off seller. I noticed he was near me about 20 minutes, and I saw the picture of the box see here http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!BO4Hk0wBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0F63BJw4KDElhg~~_1.JPG (that box indicates the new models I'm pretty sure now) anyway I asked him to tell me the SCPH and he confirmed it's a new one. So you can look for those boxes and confirm with the sellers as most dont list the exact model. Anyway the thing was at £40 and £10 delivery with 24 hours remaining and no bids. I emailed him saying about the SCPH, when he confirmed I asked if he could change to a buy it now and I would arrange cash collection £50 which he did.

If you really do get stuck looking for one let me know as this is an actual spare for me call me a collector of consoles, I haven't opened it yet and don't plan to. If you're REALLY stuck I'll let you have mine for the price I paid but I'm sure there's a few of this model on there :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  15. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Thanks for this.

Can I ask, where abouts does it say the SCPH code?

Does it have it on the outer box anywhere, or do you need to open the box up to view the rear of the console to see which model PS2 it is?

Do you possibly also know what the box looks like for the SCPH-70000 series as you mentioned the SCPH-90000 may have a different image on the front of the box.

It is just as I believe there is an auction going with a similar looking box to yours, but would want to make sure before buying.

Thanks for all your help

16. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm 95% certain that my box is a new PS2 box and all new PS2s have that box. All PS2 slims I've previously owned the box was predominantly yellow. These are the older 7***** series. SCPH is printed somewhere always on the outer box, I think it's on the side. Ask seller a question link on the ebay pages you are interested in, I always use this and most times get a swift response. Just ask them to confirm which model of PS2 it is, tell them it will be printed somewhere on the outer case a 5 digit number following the letters SCPH.

Just searching now for "ps2 slim new" in the consoles and systems section I've returned instantly one guy seems to be selling a few of the new model. Further down the page several older new slims see box http://i20.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/3e/07/8d0d_1.JPG here this yellow design and any variations of (say packed with certain games buzz w/ buzzers, monsters rumble, GT4 etc) are always the older model.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  17. MHanretty

MHanretty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any updates on this particular situation? Amazon would be the most convenient retailer to buy from, but I've no idea as to what model they're currently selling.

18. spaceranger1975

spaceranger1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just had a look at coolshop.co.uk

They seem to have the new one, from their picture it is missing the glossy strip in the centre and where the PS logo is situated on a flat front as compared to the grill effect on the older slim version

19. MHanretty

MHanretty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They seem to be out of stock. And the product description is in German for some reason.

20. spaceranger1975

spaceranger1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    TakeTheGame.co.uk seems to have it

21. MHanretty

MHanretty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your Google-fu is strong, sir. Never heard of this store, though.