Super RCE????

bigalroz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just got some potenetially very bad news from a mate, I don't know where it came from or if it's true but this could be a stinker!!
Five well-known DVD distributers, including Warner and Columbia Tristar, announced this weekend that they have jointly developed a new regional coding standard, known as Compulsory Region Assignment Protocol. According to research carried out by the distributors in both the UK and the USA, this 'Super RCE' defeats many popular multi-region players, including all Wharfedale, Samsung and Toshiba machines. The technology works by interrogating the firmware to discover the default home region - the region the player would be set to after a full reset. Apparently, this circumvents any remote-hacks or mod-chips used in the above players.

This is obviously very bad news for the hundreds of owners of these machines. The technology effectively ignores their multi-region capabilities, and discs using it will only play if the default region of the player matches that of the disc. The distributors estimate that they will be implementing this technology on all new releases from the beginning of next month, effective in America and Britain.

Could this be the end of R1 imports for us? Well, no doubt eventually someone will develop a mod-chip to bypass this technology, but this means that thousands of people will have to pay to modify their player, who could previously simply use a remote hack.

Watch out for more details on this important news story, and also which releases we can expect to implement 'Super RCE'.

I've just realised it's 1st of April today so I'm not so sure, hmmmmmm!

------------------
--------------------------------------------------
couldn't think of anything interesting or witty that's why my signature is so sh***y
http://www.carrickcourt.freeserve.co.uk

Another one!

Compulsory Region Assignment Protocol = CRAP!!!

Oooooh BUSTED!

Don't know whether I should admit this or not but I actually believed it myself until I re-read it a couple of times.

Oh well that's the practical jokes over for another year!

------------------
--------------------------------------------------
couldn't think of anything interesting or witty that's why my signature is so sh***y
http://www.carrickcourt.freeserve.co.uk

Ace, stop "bustin" everbody, I am interested to see who the gullable ones are in here
smile.gif

Originally posted by Ace007:

Another one!

Compulsory Region Assignment Protocol = CRAP!!!

Oooooh BUSTED!
Cheer up Ace its only a bit of fun...there is no harm intended in any of this....
smile.gif

martinc

It had me thinking there for a minute...but then I remembered I have got two dvd players and one is pure R1, so I don't care!
wink.gif

Hi Guys,

In all seriousness.
Don't you think that they'll improve RCE. I mean not as drastic as ACE described.
But this system will only improve. And unless you have you can change your region manually you'll have trouble with RCE DVDs.

Originally posted by tan1415:
Hi Guys,

In all seriousness.
Don't you think that they'll improve RCE. I mean not as drastic as ACE described.
But this system will only improve. And unless you have you can change your region manually you'll have trouble with RCE DVDs.

tan1415,
I have an idea that the above thought whilst in jest could be as you say something that might not be in jest at some future date.I have often toyed with the possibility of buying a region 1 only dvd player rather than re-chipping my existing r2 player for R.C.E.....worth thinking about....??

martinc

IMHO not a good idea to buy a region 1 player on top of an existing region 2 player.
Region 1 players won't do PAL, usually need a power transformer (230 > 110V) and don't have Scart/RGB.

Chipping is probably more cost-effective and you have less items on your rack.
Besides, some players do RCE in automode, too. Seen it and bought one.
smile.gif

In case you insist: I have a Yamaha DVD-S700 (US Model with DTS out) on sale, yours for GBP275 + shipping to the UK.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Reiner:
IMHO not a good idea to buy a region 1 player on top of an existing region 2 player.
Region 1 players won't do PAL, usually need a power transformer (230 > 110V) and don't have Scart/RGB.

Chipping is probably more cost-effective and you have less items on your rack.
Besides, some players do RCE in automode, too. Seen it and bought one.
smile.gif

In case you insist: I have a Yamaha DVD-S700 (US Model with DTS out) on sale, yours for GBP275 + shipping to the UK.
wink.gif

I will take your advice Reiner and get my player re-chipped for RCE ...i.e. Sony 725 dvd player...

Appreciate the info
Thanks
Martin

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom