1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Nintendo Game pak connectors need cleaning??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by w3dal, Jan 14, 2004.

1. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Hi All,

I moved recently and found my Mint Snes which has proberly been in the loft unused for 4-5 years.

Anyway i started to play Mario Cart again on it over Christmas and sometimes it takes the games a couple of times to load and have to blow the Game Paks and then they work.

Just wondered if anyone knew which i could use to clean the connectors on the Snes and maybe the game paks themselves.

I would say it boots games 90% of the time but im putting this up for sale soon and want it working 100%

Its been in its original box so is there anything i can do, or do u think its not booting due to its age??

Right off for some Street Fighter 2 Turbo action - ;0)

Thanks

Dal

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Several weeks ago, I bought a few collections of old console games for a friend's Christmas present. Scarily at first, most of them wouldn't work in either my own console or the one that I'd just bought.

A quick wipe of the cartridge contacts, using isopropanol (isopropyl alchohol, 'tape cleaning fluid') and a cotton bud, gave a dozen 'as new' games. Yep, they all work now. Just remember to put them aside for a while, to let the alcohol evaporate.

If you need isopropanol, away from tape cleaning fluid and similar, I have read that you can buy it from chemists. I haven't yet had to check, but it'll be worth asking :smashin:

3. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. One of my GF's bestmates works in a Chemist so i will ask her to get me some from her place (if they do it that is)

Im not im sure the old man has some tape fluid somewhere around his house i could use.

Thanks Again.

Dal

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Hi Dal,

Electrolube switch cleaner works a treat as well, comes in an aerosol can and you squirt it onto the contacts and rub off the dirt with lint free cloth - should see the crap that comes off them!:eek:

GTHOM3

5. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Would lighter fLuid as Ive heard of people using it to clean scalextrix contacts?

6. monkeylegs

monkeylegs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Electrolube switch cleaner is the best way to go, Ive used it on all my game packs and it brings them up a treat!! The only problem I have is getting the yellowing (caused by smoking) off the main body of the game pack. If anyone has any suggestions on how to remove this I would be realy gratefull.:D

7. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Hi Guys,

Cheers for the info i shall get some of that at the weekend. My SNES has gone a darker colour then when it was new. I believe its now down to smoke as i dont smoke but because the unit is so old. My Amiga did the same thing.

Still a great machine.

Thanks Again

Dal

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Smoke stains should come off with a good cleaner, maybe even with vineger. It may or may not be smoke as white plastic yellow with age anyway. I guess if you dip a cloth in vinegar and run an area of the game pack and the cloth goes yellow then it'll be smoke. If you use vinegar then make sure you wipe it down with a damp cloth afterwards and don't get any on the contacts as it's corrosive.