Super Mario Sunshine / Super Monkey Ball 2

D

DavidMalone

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody else pre-ordered these games from DVDBOXOFFICE (they are released today).

Anyway, I'd be interested to know how long it takes to get to everyone else.

Cheers,

Dav

Yep, preordered both.
Mario on 27 June 10.55 (first day of preorders I think)
SMB2 on 18 July 11.00

not heard anything yet though...

DVDBoxOffice are always slow for videogame deliveries... I've ordered off them as well but have also ordered elsewhere... We'll see which one gets sent first then I'll cancel the order.

I got my shipping confirmation at 2:30am for Mario, no news on Monkey Ball 2 though :(

Got my shipping conformation too, 10am 28th August. Getting excited now.

Same here for me ^_^ Aug 28th at 02:08AM. Wish I ordered other things as well... Since I've played a bit of Pikmin (PAL) and I want it >_<

Just got my Mario Sunshine fix this morning ^_^ The textures are a bit poor and everything feels like this was made on the N64 first and then ported to the GameCube... Still the particle effects and water is pretty cool indeed and the classic gameplay is still there ^_^ For gamers who are not used to the free control of the camera... All I can say is to take your time using it and if it doesn't turn/gets stuck, press L to centre it. So far so good on Mario but I need another mem card to save! Off I go...

Got minw this morning to. Done 3 shine's so far. I think the textureing is fine, it's a nice crisp simple cartoon style. Play mechanics seem spot on so far...

I don't know if the game supports progressive scan as well... Since I had to bring my Gamecube to my parents place since it was my sister's b/day yesterday. I'll bring the cube back to my apartment to test out the pro logic II and progressive scan stuff. Got my sister to get the mem card as well ^_^ So I'm just going to mess around for now... On my last go I think I had about 5 blue coins and 4 shines but I wasn't counting ^_^ More like getting used to the FLUDD and just exploring the huge levels. Great fun so far though ^_^

Its all good ^_^ I'm about to go off to work in a bit... I'll play it when I get home. So far the amount of exploration and things to do is superb. Looks like I'll be playing this title for some time alright...

Got mine today from DVD Box Office, played for about an hour so far and got 5 shines. The Mrs is playing it now.

It is a tremendous amount of fun.

Sounds like I should expect Mario Sunshine to be knocking on my door tomorrow <g> shame it didn't come today though.

I got two games off of eBay to while the days away, All Star Baseball 2002 and NFL Quarterback Club 2002 (would've been as well using that £20 towards a pair of oakleys, these games will never be played again).

On the upside, the delay in getting Sunshine through has forced me to load up some smash bros melee, damn it's good. Trying for my 286th trophy now (things getting ridiculous).

Monkey Ball 2 still not shipped though, must be a shortage in the states/canada?

So what do you lucky guys think of mario sunshine then? worth the wait hopefully :)

Originally posted by DavidMalone
Monkey Ball 2 still not shipped though, must be a shortage in the states/canada?

So what do you lucky guys think of mario sunshine then? worth the wait hopefully :)

My Monkey Ball hasn't been shipped either, doesn't matter though, when you get Mario you will forget about it for a while. Need a couple of weeks without other distractions.

If you liked Mario 64, then you will love this and instantly feel at home with it. I disagree with the comments about it looking like an N64 game. Graphically it is a massive leap over Mario 64, if you doubt it, go load up Mario 64 and compare them like I just did.

top game, but I am actalluy playing Ico which turned up yesterday instead...

I like having a games glut.

I didn't say that the game looked like an N64 game 100%... Just that the engine looked like it was an updated N64 one since Mario Sunshine is hardly pushing millions of polygons and it doesn't have textures like Eternal Darkness for example. I did comment on the particle engine and the water effects and they are very sweet indeed ^_^ As is the enviroment mapping in the game.

Graphics aside its a superb game thus far. I still stick by my comments on the camera but if you've played any 3D platformer it shouldn't be a problem controlling it. Got about 21 blue coins and six or seven Shines I think... I certainly don't want to rush this baby since six years is an awful long time to wait for a game.

Pro Logic II support isn't that great sadly but in Progressive Scan things look super sharp. Overall I wish I had more time to play it...

Finally got Mario Sunshine today :)

managed a couple of hours play so far, 6 shines and about 20 blue coins. Damn decent game, just no time to play it :(

I agree that the game engine is very similar to Mario 64 (except I don't think it's a bad thing). Haven't had a chance to hook the cube up to my amp yet to test the sound but even running through my pc's speakers it sounded sweet.

Graphics IMO are fantastic, especially the particle effects and the huge mirrors (can't remember the name of the level they're on).

For anyone that hasn't seen it yet, Mario Twins (funny as hell, shiggidy shiggidy shwa)
http://www.gamecubicle.com/images/save/flash2/mariotwins-reg.swf

Originally posted by NeoBlade

Pro Logic II support isn't that great sadly but in Progressive Scan things look super sharp.

Er Neoblade are you sure you've activated the 'surround sound' option in the game? (you have to move to the right on the game select screen). I missed it at first. Even in boring old Pro-logic 1 the game sounds fantastic!

Also, have you noticed any weird graphical distortion on the top right of the screen? It only seems to occur periodically, and I've only seen it when playing SMS, so hopefully it's the game and not me Tosh.

Looks like dvdboxoffice have finally got super monkey ball 2 in stock, just got my shipping confirmation this morning :p

Woohooo, got my Super Monkey Ball 2 shipping conformation in the last 15 minutes.

Damn, now I got about 8-10 days to finish Mario before the maddening addictivnes that is SMB returns to haunt my sleep. Oh well, at least between them they will probably keep me busy until Zelda.

Up to 15 shines now, does anyone know the grand total for shines?

McPastry, I have got Mario Sunshine in Surround mode ^_^ The game sounds great but I don't think there is enough going on to really show off what Pro Logic II can do in terms of channel seperation. Of course mindless panning effects would be annoying but still I don't think Mario Sunshine has tapped into the potential of PLII that much IMO.

As for the Toshiba screen, have a look at my many posts in the "TV & Plasma" section of the forums... Or just click here ^_^

It doesn't make great reading.

I've heard some negative things about MonkeyBall II... At how it tinkers with the play mechanics, so instead of knowing what you have to do on a level and setting out about executing it, you have to do other things like flip siwtches etc. I'm told its not on all of the levels and I'm sure it can't be that bad. I'll have to wait for my Monkey Ball II fix since I need to decide on what to do about my lil TV...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom