Super Mario Odyssey

Are you sure you know where your Switch is Lol, you’ve not been on it since you played a little bit of Splatoon (well that’s what your profile says anyway Lol)

Haha yeah that's true mate, I usually play mario kart with my sons profile he's unlocked more things than I have so main game is mk8 under his profile. That'll be rectified now mario odyssey has arrived!

I'm using split joycons and it's great to control. Little flick of the left one to throw cappy. Works great.
I'm going to stick with the joy cons too.

No sign of mine yet but the post round here is absolutely dreadful, usually comes between 1-3. Off to the cinema now so and then out for a meal at 6pm so may sneak some in at some point!

I decided to try the JoyCon just to see what it was like before going pro. And I am pleasantly surprised how good it feels, might stick with it for a bit.

The game itself is gorgeous and looks great on a 55" 4K screen. And the cappy mechanic really resolves some of the issues you have with jumping and attacking in a 3D space. Just sublime.

Which moves mate?

Low/High throw, homing through and 360 cap spin?

Kind of did the spin by getting Mario spinning then threw the cap, but it was hard to do.

The others... no idea and they dont have button alternatives in the "Actions" section.

Can't play this in portable mode. Just doesn't do it the same justice. Wife is watching TV and thought I'd dive back on but it looks like lush docked, im going to primarily play it that way. For first playthrough anyway :)

Low/High throw, homing through and 360 cap spin?

Kind of did the spin by getting Mario spinning then threw the cap, but it was hard to do.

The others... no idea and they dont have button alternatives in the "Actions" section.

Yeah I noticed that. Hopefully they are just cosmetic anyway and won't actually be needed so to speak.

My order status is still showing processing - expected delivery 31st October - will go out and buy the game on Friday morning and send late game delivery back for a refund unless it arrives first thing Friday morning.

Yeah I noticed that. Hopefully they are just cosmetic anyway and won't actually be needed so to speak.

I would think later on the Homing and 360 ones will definitely be needed. Very early on you 'need' the 360 one
to get the circle of flowers

I would think later on the Homing and 360 ones will definitely be needed. Very early on you 'need' the 360 one
to get the circle of flowers

Ahhh yes I'd forgot about that. I see your point. I'm not raving about not having a button combo alternative but here's hoping the motion won't be essential THAT much later on.

Ahhh yes I'd forgot about that. I see your point. I'm not raving about not having a button combo alternative but here's hoping the motion won't be essential THAT much later on.

Yea... I just cant believe they would have done it like that, given the Switch 'handheld' mode makes it impossible.

superficial I know, but what are the graphics like? I've got high hopes for this

How are people playing early?

Regarding the control method; for me I have to try the joycons first off and see how I go. I found SMG 1&2 excellent with the wiimote and nunchuck. I’m hoping for the same.

Failing that it’s the pro controller

Regarding the control method; for me I have to try the joycons first off and see how I go. I found SMG 1&2 excellent with the wiimote and nunchuck. I’m hoping for the same.

Playing early = simplygames

Controllers - I hate using the joycons undocked so pro controller for me.

I'll try joycons later when docked. I did like the galaxy controls so if this feels similar then great. Happy with the pro controller though if I don't like joycons.

Amazon dispatch email has arrived. Fingers crossed for tomorrow, but Friday is all the more likely.

Split joy cons feel a great way to control it to me, similar to SMG. Not tried pro controller or in handheld mode yet.

Whats people initial impressions of it. Gameplay, graphics, etc?

We know when the reviews are going to be out?

Amazon dispatch email has arrived. Fingers crossed for tomorrow, but Friday is all the more likely.
Ahhhhh crap. Knew I'd forgotten something when I ordered from simplygames, that'll be to cancel my amazon order then. Second copy on its way now. :facepalm:

Amazon dispatch email here as well!

I've been good this year Amazon gods, please let me have this joyous game tomorrow.

Whats people initial impressions of it. Gameplay, graphics, etc?

We know when the reviews are going to be out?

Gameplay wise for me it's a mash up of Mario 64, galaxy and I'm getting Banjo kazooie vibes as well. A mix of sandbox type levels with all sorts of gameplay elements dotted around the place. Controls are as tight as ever and cappy is a great new addition to the dynamic. Visuals really pop in docked mode and it looks lovely.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom