Super Mario Maker (11 Sept 2015)

- Update is live now (209MB), checkpoint, event courses, etc

Last edited:
I'd completely missed that checkpoints had been added until last nights Nintendo Direct. That was the main thing that put me off the idea of this game, so will have to reconsider now. Good to hear they added them.

Just got back from the National Video Game Arcade in Nottingham and was feeling all nostalgic after having a good sesh on SMB on the NES. Bought this and it's amazing! It's almost impossible to get my son off it though, he's completely hooked!

Classic Nintendo this. Simply amazing design and the interface never gets in the way of the creativity.

Was just thinking before that the Wii U hadn't really had much use of late, but with this, that Wipeout clone and Xenoblade Chronicles X, that could well be changing!

These are mocks, but give an idea of how the game could look if they introduced more styles. I doubt the Mario Land 1 version would be worth it, but a Mario Land 2 (in colour) and Mario Bros. 2 version (despite the logistics being discussed before) could still be a possibility.

smm1.png

smm2.png

smm3.png

smm4.png

Last edited:
That brings back fond memories!
I'd welcome those styles in the next game.

Saw an original Gameboy on TV this morning, reminded me of how I saved up my pocket money for months to buy one :D SMB2 as well, I still think it could work. I would love to see those styles on a future update, great for the old farts like me.

Looking at picking up a Wii u again this week,fancy splatoon and maybe this!how is it??how the course making community??

Looking at picking up a Wii u again this week,fancy splatoon and maybe this!how is it??how the course making community??

It's amazing.
The courses are something else and you will never get tired of playing it.
If this was the only Wii U game in existence it would still be worth owning one.

I remember buying my Gameboy having saved up for ages to buy it !! That thing must have had hours put into it !!

I still have it, in the case I bought for it. Its almost perfect condition. My kids look at it like its toast or something when I get it out - "why doesnt the screen work??"

*Sigh* "its not a touch screen !!"

I remember buying my Gameboy having saved up for ages to buy it !! That thing must have had hours put into it !!

I still have it, in the case I bought for it. Its almost perfect condition. My kids look at it like its toast or something when I get it out - "why doesnt the screen work??"

*Sigh* "its not a touch screen !!"
Mine is all in the original retail boxes, mint condition apart from the inevitable yellowing. Tetris... what a black hole that was for my spare time! Hasn't seen the light of day for at least 15 years.

It's amazing.
The courses are something else and you will never get tired of playing it.
If this was the only Wii U game in existence it would still be worth owning one.
sounds like a must buy then!just trying to plan what games i want

Mine is all in the original retail boxes, mint condition apart from the inevitable yellowing. Tetris... what a black hole that was for my spare time! Hasn't seen the light of day for at least 15 years.

Tetris was a total time sponge. Got me through a lot of journeys and holidays with my parents. And SO MANY batteries. Cant believe you have the retail packaging, that is amazing !!

Tetris was a total time sponge. Got me through a lot of journeys and holidays with my parents. And SO MANY batteries. Cant believe you have the retail packaging, that is amazing !!
I have always been like that, kept all the packaging for my consoles back from the NES days. The only exception is the N64, which I bought second hand.

Smart. I have started doing it. I have the packaging for Wii and Wii U.

My N64 was also second hand - was from a market but had a box at least.

Smart. I have started doing it. I have the packaging for Wii and Wii U.

My N64 was also second hand - was from a market but had a box at least.
My N64 was from an indy games store in Leicester (was really good, used to stock all kinds of cartridge based systems, but that's going back about 17 years!). Pretty sure it's the only console I ever bought second hand, although I bought three brand new controllers of assorted colours to go with it.

My N64 was from an indy games store in Leicester (was really good, used to stock all kinds of cartridge based systems, but that's going back about 17 years!). Pretty sure it's the only console I ever bought second hand, although I bought three brand new controllers of assorted colours to go with it.

A fellow midlander? What shop from Leicester was it?

I have numerous console across the generations with full packaging :)

A fellow midlander? What shop from Leicester was it?

I have numerous console across the generations with full packaging :)
I went to uni in Leicester, spent four years there in the late nineties. I don't remember the name of the store now. It was just off Granby Street, no idea if it's still there any more but it was great! Pretty sure it was an independent but I have a nagging thought maybe it was a Gamestation..?

Has everyone tried the Event courses? I have just discovered them. Harder than a regular Mario level, maybe not as hard as some of the really difficult ones that people make, but challenging and sometimes with a prize at the end !!!

Gotta Catch 'em all

Has everyone tried the Event courses? I have just discovered them. Harder than a regular Mario level, maybe not as hard as some of the really difficult ones that people make, but challenging and sometimes with a prize at the end !!!

Gotta Catch 'em all

Yep, I have done them all, some good challenging levels there :)

Done all of them ?? Last to the party again eh ??

Well thats good. I quite liked the "got a little bit further so just one more go" ness about the few I have done so far !!

Hehe, yea, I turn the game on every other day or so to check if there's any more.
I did the latest 3 last night. (The one with the bat lady in it)

It's so addictive!

Yes it is. Just that "just one more go see if I can get the new character!" bit about it !! Grrr

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom