Super Mario 3D All Stars

Well no, you could decide "I don't know what their plans are after March 31st so will reserve judgement til then"? As someone who works in the games industry, I know that marketing teams are not idiots, and they put a lot of time and effort into their plans, and that often doesn't involve showing their hand until it makes sense to do so. So you're just deciding to ignore that common sense logic, and judge them anyway. Do you really think a company of this standing would make a decision like this without having thought it through?
Yes, I do. Nintendo (as much as I love them) are not without their faults.

You cite your statement like they can do no wrong. Wii U marketing, anyone? Some marketing teams really are "idiots" (I prefer, "less informed" personally).

Stop taking my opinion like it's a personal insult. I am well aware I don't spout the popular opinion, but you've no need to be offended.

Apparently so, but Switch version seems smoother

Early reports suggest that the titles are run under emulation, which is interesting for a couple of reasons.

1. This makes throwing together a compilation from Wii, GC and N64 quite quick and easy (so to speak) for other series' (Zelda 3D All Stars should in theory be simple)

2. It's not the "remaster" that was expected, so to speak.

3. (bonus reason) - if the emulation can be hacked by modders, they should be able to find a way to get native Gamecube, Wii and N64 emulation for other titles, a bit like with the SNES mini where ROM files could be side loaded. Only good if you have a modded Switch I guess, but there are soldered mod-chips that are apparently universally compatible with all models. Benefit mainly is no need to run android on your Switch, which looks annoying.

Is it confirmed that Mario 64 & Sunshine are still 30fps? If so then that is another disappointment, would have fully expected them to be 60fps to match Galaxy & Odyssey

Not confirmed but sunshine is 60fps I think and 64 is 30. Based on the YouTube video

Well no, you could decide "I don't know what their plans are after March 31st so will reserve judgement til then"? As someone who works in the games industry, I know that marketing teams are not idiots, and they put a lot of time and effort into their plans, and that often doesn't involve showing their hand until it makes sense to do so. So you're just deciding to ignore that common sense logic, and judge them anyway. Do you really think a company of this standing would make a decision like this without having thought it through?
:laugh::rotfl:
Remember this masterclass in marketing?
All planned from the beginning, no doubt ;)

There are sooooo many examples of real poor marketing decisions regarding game releases - especially the schedule. Games not release in real dry spells and held back to be summarily ignored by the masses at Christmas who will buy generic <insert title here> 8 instead.

Ooh, my neighbour has delivered the goods!!

I've been playing Mario Rabbids to build excitement and I have a meeting at midday for the rest of the day 😂😰

Screenshot_2020-09-15-11-46-30-741_com.miui.gallery.png

Yes, I do. Nintendo (as much as I love them) are not without their faults.

You cite your statement like they can do no wrong. Wii U marketing, anyone? Some marketing teams really are "idiots" (I prefer, "less informed" personally).

Stop taking my opinion like it's a personal insult. I am well aware I don't spout the popular opinion, but you've no need to be offended.
I promise I'm not offended :) I just don't find snap statements like you've made a bit silly on a discussion forum. I'm not saying they can do no wrong, but it strikes me as given they have specifically stated March 31st as the final date, there is a good chance they have a plan for what happens after the date. For example, if they were to have N64 ready to go on for Online for then, it makes sense to withdraw it for sale and include Mario 64 on there.

:laugh::rotfl:
Remember this masterclass in marketing?
All planned from the beginning, no doubt ;)
Yes, they got the 3DS launch wrong, but this is the Switch which has proved much more successful, 3.5 years into the lifecycle. And I agree, that was a poor decision, which we can see IN HINDSIGHT with all the facts. We have no idea what their plans are past March 31st.

From which retailer? (Please say shopto :D)
It's not a delivery; they work in retail POS stocking etc.

Edit: I think she might want it back later for her lad, but, he tends to only play Fortnight, so should be fine to keep for me :)

I promise I'm not offended :) I just don't find snap statements like you've made a bit silly on a discussion forum. I'm not saying they can do no wrong, but it strikes me as given they have specifically stated March 31st as the final date, there is a good chance they have a plan for what happens after the date. For example, if they were to have N64 ready to go on for Online for then, it makes sense to withdraw it for sale and include Mario 64 on there.
Hahah, good one!

I'll carry on judging a situation based on the facts to hand. If nintendo says later on "watch this space for 1st April onwards plans" I will re-judge accordingly :)

For example, if they were to have N64 ready to go on for Online for then, it makes sense to withdraw it for sale and include Mario 64 on there.
I don’t think that particular scenario would go down well & possibly be shades of the 3DS launch.
People are already complaining about the ‘high price’ of the collection. If M64 was to suddenly go free on 31/03/20, then those same people would definitely feel they’ve been overcharged if one game is now ‘free’.

I personally find the £50 rrp reasonable but I would feel a bit ripped off if M64 was given away free just a few months later.

Yes, they got the 3DS launch wrong, but this is the Switch which has proved much more successful, 3.5 years into the lifecycle. And I agree, that was a poor decision, which we can see IN HINDSIGHT with all the facts. We have no idea what their plans are past March 31st.
P.s. remember when Nintendo did a Switcheroo at launch with Zelda and Mario? Caused a right old storm! Looked like Nintendo moved focus to Zelda and delayed Mario to October as a result. It was meant to be the other way around.

I don’t think that particular scenario would go down well & possibly be shades of the 3DS launch.
People are already complaining about the ‘high price’ of the collection. If M64 was to suddenly go free on 31/03/20, then those same people would definitely feel they’ve been overcharged if one game is now ‘free’.

I personally find the £50 rrp reasonable but I would feel a bit ripped off if M64 was given away free just a few months later.
Well it's not free, it's part of the online subscription, so buying it now means you have it permanently esp if you go physical, but sure, I see your point. Given NES was Sept 18 and SNES was Sept 19, it looks likely they're skipping this year so N64 in Sept 21 is a long enough gap for people not to feel slighted? It doesn't seem that different to games going onto xbox game pass no?

Well it's not free, it's part of the online subscription, so buying it now means you have it permanently esp if you go physical, but sure, I see your point. Given NES was Sept 18 and SNES was Sept 19, it looks likely they're skipping this year so N64 in Sept 21 is a long enough gap for people not to feel slighted? It doesn't seem that different to games going onto xbox game pass no?
Yeah if there was a sizeable gap, that would be fine. If it went ‘free’ straight after being withdrawn from sale & people having paid £50 for the collection, it would have a bit of a ‘Gotcha sucka’ feel to it.

Don’t have an Xbox. How quickly do games go onto Xbox game pass?

Yeah if there was a sizeable gap, that would be fine. If it went ‘free’ straight after being withdrawn from sale & people having paid £50 for the collection, it would have a bit of a ‘Gotcha sucka’ feel to it.

Don’t have an Xbox. How quickly do games go onto Xbox game pass?
Varies.

Some go right on it upon release (similar to deals on PS+) and then come off for full price.

Let's take a step back about the n64 - emulating it has always been notoriously fiddly :) Given lots of mini consoles use simple hardware, the N64 mini proposition has always been moderately doubtful. Here's hoping, however!

With the new emulated Mario 64 (officially and non too), there's a bit of hope for running on the Switch. I've still got a handful of N64 carts I'd love to emulate!

Looks like it's out in the wild, gameplay footage already up on YouTube

Yeah, it's good the little bit I have played so far, but I'm surprised the frame rates aren't a little smoother - not played docked yet mind you.

I never wanted full on remakes, but making them all widescreen 60fps is really the bare minimum I'd have expected. Never even considered that they wouldn't be, given we've known they were coming for about 6 months or so. Possibly the most annoying thing is that I gave Sunshine another go recently on my original Gamecube and was reminded why it's the only 3D Mario game I'd started but not finished. There are numerous points where the camera is so bad that a task is borderline unplayable. Those issues are guaranteed not to be fixed I'd assume. Very annoying this when you see the sheer love they pour into Odyssey, BoTW etc.

I never wanted full on remakes, but making them all widescreen 60fps is really the bare minimum I'd have expected. Never even considered that they wouldn't be, given we've known they were coming for about 6 months or so. Possibly the most annoying thing is that I gave Sunshine another go recently on my original Gamecube and was reminded why it's the only 3D Mario game I'd started but not finished. There are numerous points where the camera is so bad that a task is borderline unplayable. Those issues are guaranteed not to be fixed I'd assume. Very annoying this when you see the sheer love they pour into Odyssey, BoTW etc.
The hacked M64 version looks lots better on YouTube videos and the version here is windowed 4:3

Why do I want this? I've played all the titles including getting all the stars in 64 and galaxy (well I didn't play galaxy a second time through for that particular stupid one but I got the rest). Yet for some reason I'm really tempted to get this. The 4:3 aspect ratio doesn't seem a great thing though.

My Nintendo.co.uk order dispatched at 2pm by Royal Mail.

Why didn't they add a toggle to y axis on Sunshine?? I'm stoked they've changed it to my preference but now there will be another load of people looking at the floor...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom