Super Mario 3D All Stars

I don't know that's it's Nintendo's fault beyond that they made it a limited product, which is an established and common practice in the industry.

Perhaps base.com took more pre-orders than they knew they could handle, so as to draw consumers to them and away from their competition, and the gamble backfired?

The game is still available to preorder elsewhere anyway.
Not in the gaming industry...!!

Games, limited edition or deluxe maybe. Bit of hardware. But regular games? Not really.
Ok I see the distinction you're making, but there are several publishers that produce limited physical releases for games that would otherwise be digital only releases. I realise that Nintendo are a bigger company and may have made the game limited for different reasons, but the end result is essentially the same.

Regardless I just don't see how Nintendo have shot themselves in the foot, especially since they can still pre-order elsewhere, including Nintendo themselves.

Ok I see the distinction you're making, but there are several publishers that produce limited physical releases for games that would otherwise be digital only releases. I realise that Nintendo are a bigger company and may have made the game limited for different reasons, but the end result is essentially the same.

Regardless I just don't see how Nintendo have shot themselves in the foot, especially since they can still pre-order elsewhere, including Nintendo themselves.
Limited run carts, yeah. Never limited run digital as well.

New owners next year will miss the boat. Until Nintendo decide they're doing another run...

Limited run carts, yeah. Never limited run digital as well.

New owners next year will miss the boat. Until Nintendo decide they're doing another run...
Perhaps the strategy is to motivate those that want the game but would otherwise wait until next year to pick up a Switch, to pick one up earlier during this financial year, and during a period where they are competing with the new PlayStation and XBox and disposable income may be tight.

And if the rumours of a new Switch model next year are true they will want to shift as many of the old units as they can now.

Perhaps the strategy is to motivate those that want the game but would otherwise wait until next year to pick up a Switch, to pick one up earlier during this financial year, and during a period where they are competing with the new PlayStation and XBox and disposable income may be tight.

And if the rumours of a new Switch model next year are true they will want to shift as many of the old units as they can now.
This is nintendo. Never discount AAA titles. Mario Odyssey is still £40 new on the high street. They sell at full price for years.

Why limit it? Terrible idea. And I like Nintendo. They're shooting themselves in the foot for revenue opportunities.

My preorder got cancelled so I've decided to order from the Nintendo side and simply games. Will return the other or sell it here for standard price.

This is nintendo. Never discount AAA titles. Mario Odyssey is still £40 new on the high street. They sell at full price for years.

Why limit it? Terrible idea. And I like Nintendo. They're shooting themselves in the foot for revenue opportunities.
Nah, they’ll more than likely be releasing them individually at some point in 2021.
And just to be totally Nintendo they’ll release them as Deluxe versions just to try and squeeze a few more quid from us!

Nah, they’ll more than likely be releasing them individually at some point in 2021.
And just to be totally Nintendo they’ll release them as Deluxe versions just to try and squeeze a few more quid from us!
That's more likely. Still an awful idea. But it's generated noise.

Nintendo's current digital valuation of those games on the Wii U are £9 for Mario 64 and £18 for Galaxy. We could reasonably price Sunshine in the middle at £13.50.

If the plan is to sell digital games separately for those systems' catalogues next year, then the total cost of those games would likely be around £40.50, compared to the £50 RRP and digital price of the 3D collection. Bundling those games physically and especially digitally in the meantime could therefore actually lead to more revenue up to then.

Once the games are available separately then the digital bundle becomes obsolete, at least at that price, hence the limited availability. The digital bundle would be even more obsolete if N64 games, including Super Mario 64, are added to the online service and you only had to purchase the other two separately.

Nintendo's current digital valuation of those games on the Wii U are £9 for Mario 64 and £18 for Galaxy. We could reasonably price Sunshine in the middle at £13.50.

If the plan is to sell digital games separately for those systems' catalogues next year, then the total cost of those games would likely be around £40.50, compared to the £50 RRP and digital price of the 3D collection. Bundling those games physically and especially digitally in the meantime could therefore actually lead to more revenue up to then.

Once the games are available separately then the digital bundle becomes obsolete, at least at that price, hence the limited availability. The digital bundle would be even more obsolete if N64 games, including Super Mario 64, are added to the online service and you only had to purchase the other two separately.
If Nintendo release individually, they'll all be £15-£20 a pop on switch. Legacy pricing has no bearing on updated versions of the game!

Actually it’s just occurred to me that it’s by no means guaranteed that it won’t just disappear from sale permanently on 31/03/21.

Just remembered when they did the 3DS ambassadors thing (free NES/GBA games to early 3DS adopters). People widely expected Nintendo to release the ambassador games for sale to all 3DS users after the promotion ended, but they stayed true to their word & never did. They remained exclusive to ambassadors only.

Hello, long time no speak! I’m still around but very busy these days. Anyway I agree, it’s very odd for Nintendo to limit the release. It’s a bloody awful idea, maybe they have some reasons but I just can’t think of any.

Hello, long time no speak! I’m still around but very busy these days. Anyway I agree, it’s very odd for Nintendo to limit the release. It’s a bloody awful idea, maybe they have some reasons but I just can’t think of any.
Good evening, squire! Yeah everyone is around from time to time, I'm just busy as hell since COVID. Not had a day off from furlough, but had a 10% pay cut. Go figure!! Trust you're well?

The only reason can be "shock" headlines etc. This is unprecedented for any AAA title really. The mind boggles. I'm sure someone has done the maths somewhere...!!

I had to cancel my shopto as I paid with my company card by accident, so ended up with a much later order with simply games. Stoked to smash sunshine.

That's more likely. Still an awful idea. But it's generated noise.
We have no idea what their plans are post March 31st, so it seems a bit premature to judge their marketing decision before we know that.

Mines showing as arriving Friday with Amazon, in past experience though I know that means absolutely nothing with Amazon so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
EE96AC8C-AD4E-4A68-8019-0EAAD300FE47.jpeg

Is it confirmed that Mario 64 & Sunshine are still 30fps? If so then that is another disappointment, would have fully expected them to be 60fps to match Galaxy & Odyssey

We have no idea what their plans are post March 31st, so it seems a bit premature to judge their marketing decision before we know that.
You can only judge by what you see in the here and now.

Here and now they say "limited time only", so that's how they're being judged.

Second guessing Nintendo is risky!

I'm not worried anyhow, as my neighbour who works in dvd and games category management at supermarkets reckons she'll have copies tomorrow, possibly today.

It's funny, as I sometimes receive her courier deliveries for POS stands to build as well as the dvd and blu ray games and films etc, so there's a remote possibility (very remote) I'd end up sat on multiple copies of this bound for my local supermarkets! Happened with star wars films earlier in the year - massive POS stands in my hallway!

Edit: have seen the game has allegedly leaked so cartridges in the wild is good news for people with preorders

Last edited:
Is it confirmed that Mario 64 & Sunshine are still 30fps? If so then that is another disappointment, would have fully expected them to be 60fps to match Galaxy & Odyssey
Apparently so, but Switch version seems smoother

You can only judge by what you see in the here and now.

Here and now they say "limited time only", so that's how they're being judged.

Second guessing Nintendo is risky!

I'm not worried anyhow, as my neighbour who works in dvd and games category management at supermarkets reckons she'll have copies tomorrow, possibly today.

It's funny, as I sometimes receive her courier deliveries for POS stands to build as well as the dvd and blu ray games and films etc, so there's a remote possibility (very remote) I'd end up sat on multiple copies of this bound for my local supermarkets! Happened with star wars films earlier in the year - massive POS stands in my hallway!

Edit: have seen the game has allegedly leaked so cartridges in the wild is good news for people with preorders
Well no, you could decide "I don't know what their plans are after March 31st so will reserve judgement til then"? As someone who works in the games industry, I know that marketing teams are not idiots, and they put a lot of time and effort into their plans, and that often doesn't involve showing their hand until it makes sense to do so. So you're just deciding to ignore that common sense logic, and judge them anyway. Do you really think a company of this standing would make a decision like this without having thought it through?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom