Super Hub 3 in modem mode = slow

beerglass007

Hiya

Well I've had enough of the poor wifi on my super hub 3.0 ( white ) and decided to buy a ASUS RT-AC688U router.

Macbook > ASUS > NAS is all fast

Basically anything connected internally on my LAN is fast and goes via the ASUS no problem

When I then connect to the internet and going via the super hub 3 in modem mode is dog slow

Speedtest.net is showing 3mbps and I have 200mbps service

I have tested different UTP cable, UTP ports and its only when in modem mode

I have sort of fudged a work around using the super hub 3 and ASUS by using the DMZ and forwarding traffic to the ASUS like that

I called virgin media and they said 3rd party kit was to blame....idiots arghhhh

So has anyone else had performance issues with the SH3 ( not so super after all )

Thanks

Bondy007

Standard Member

mickevh

Could be that your RT-AC688U doesn't have the horsepower to route the traffic fast enough - have you checked it's (RT-AC688U) WAN-to-LAN routing capacity? SmallNetBuilder test this sort of thing - you could have a look there.

(Local LAN-to-LAN traffic - beit ethernet or Wi-Fi - doesn't pass through routing engine in your RT-AC688U whereas the Internet traffic does.)

mickevh

Just realised this is an old thread, but for the benefit of anyone reading it in the future:

One way to test the culpability of the SH in modem mode: Leave it in modem mode, physically disconnect everything except a single computer using an ethernet cable into the "working" LAN port. Let computer obtain IP address from ISP. This is how we used to do Internet access in olden days with modems before SOHO routers got invented. Test and see how it goes. Be sure to have a your A/V and personal firewall active on the test machine - it will be "live" onto the Internet without any of the protections your router normally avails.

If it's better, suspect issue with ASUS. If it's still bad, suspect SH.

Last edited:

Bondy007

Standard Member
Could be that your RT-AC688U doesn't have the horsepower to route the traffic fast enough - have you checked it's (RT-AC688U) WAN-to-LAN routing capacity? SmallNetBuilder test this sort of thing - you could have a look there.

(Local LAN-to-LAN traffic - beit ethernet or Wi-Fi - doesn't pass through routing engine in your RT-AC688U whereas the Internet traffic does.)
Cheers will give it a go when back home (builders in atm)

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
For what it's worth, I've got an RT-AC68U connected to a Super Hub 2 set to modem mode and can get full speed through this router on speed tests (Vivid 200 service).

Top Bottom