Super Hi Vision

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by steviedr, Aug 2, 2012.

1. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
  2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    I would love to see this but with a round trip of nearly 300 miles it would sadly cost me too much money.

3. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    I'll share my thoughts, have tickets for this Saturday, sadly the closest I will get to experiencing the Olympics from Scotland :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  4. iainoco

iainoco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Just back from seeing this at BBC Scotland.

There are some big wow moments, Opening Ceremony firework display looked amazing. They also had swimming and basketball, both looked pretty stunning on the screen which must have been 15 - 20 foot diagonal.

I did notice background stuff being more out of focus that I expected but overall the level of detail (8K!!!!) is pretty astounding.

I found the sound (22.2 soundsystem) to be slightly disappointing, too much high end and not enough bass. At one point at I though the person behind me was clapping, they weren't it was coming from the speakers!!

I'm going again next Sunday as I probably won't get Super Hi-Vision in the house for about 20 years :laugh:

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    How long was the session you watched? what sort of distance from teh screen were you.

6. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    Im going to go during the week, got 3/4 of the way there and hit road works ....ahhh.....
    It will be 9 years until they think it will be used in Japan, so we are talking a long time for ourselves.
    Still, really want to see what 8k looks like while I have the chance.
    I imagine cinemas will take it up sooner as 4k gets rolled out at home over the next 6 years (or at least I hope it does).
    I'm assuming the demo lasted about 50 mins?

7. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Probably the way it was set up, rather than a shortcoming of the system.

When I went to the Imax in Washington, there was (to me) very obvious distortion from one of the right hand loudspeakers.

Nobody else seemed to notice it and when I mentioned it to one of the attendants on the way out, I was obviously dismissed as typical whinging English! :(

8. iainoco

iainoco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Lasts 40 minutes and I was around 20 foot from screen, it was a pretty small viewing room but the screen dominated :smashin:

9. iainoco

iainoco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Think it was just the set up that was lacking and fact is that it is just early days for the format.

10. iainoco

iainoco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Think there's still tickets available for next week.

11. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    Cheers, through in Glasgow during the week with work, if there are lunch time shows, I'll pop in.
    They stated there was a history of tv exhibit, was it any good?

12. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,420
    using JVC as well

nice one :smashin:

13. Beard of Steel

Beard of Steel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Not really. There is just 3 BBC cameras from old to HD and one wall with a brief history of the Olympics. Took me about 10 minutes to read it all then had to wait another 30 minutes until the demo started as they asked you to be there at 12.15pm for the 1pm screening.

When I went in someone in front of me asked where the best place to sit would be and was told rows 2 and 3 would be the best for sound so I sat in row 2.

They started by showing the difference between HD and Super Hi-vision. They zoomed in on a busy city street to show a picture of a man. The HD image was very pixalated with the SHV image clear.

Then onto the opening ceremony. This blew me away tbh. Although the picture is sharp and clear, the colours amazing, for me its the sound that makes this technology. I could actually feel the atmosphere in the stadium and the hairs on my arms stood on end.

Then they went on to show a swimming event, and again the atmosphere was incredible. I had to stop myself from clapping a couple of times. It really does sound like people around you are cheering or clapping, but when you look of course they are just staring at the screen.

Then onto a basketball game with the USA playing Nigeria. I watch a lot of sports but this is one I would usually give a miss, but with this new technology I think they could show tiddly winks and I would still enjoy it.
    The clarity of every squeek of the shoes, grunt of the player and thud of the ball hitting the floor was superb.

Overall as you can probably tell I was very impressed. As someone mentioned earlier the sound could do with some more bass but I couldn't hear any distortion at all.

I do have a 1080p PJ at home but im not technically minded when it comes this kind of thing so im sure those that are will be able to give a better description of sound and picture quality than I can.

14. joxer

joxer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went to the screening at BBC Scotland yesterday too and can only agree with the earlier posts - very,very impressive.It really felt like you were in the stadium watching with the crowd.I nearly clapped at that same bit too, I could have sworn it was coming from within the room. Only downside was that the seats were chronic :laugh:

15. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    What about the popcorn and nachos:)

16. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    Sounds great, how will we ever persuade our partners to install 22.2 surround sound, mind you if it's still 10 odd years away maybe by then we can just purchase a B&W prefab partition wall!

17. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    good point....a screen the siz eof a wall and huge speakers...sounds like IMAX for the minions LOL.

Jeez Ive only maanged to get her to agree to a home cinema projector and amp after all these years....if truth be told I dont really see the mass market for this....

18. dukesters

dukesters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Can anyone tell me how long it took from applying for tickets to getting them by email? Ive applied a couple of times since friday and still not heard anything.

19. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    I was about 2hrs.

20. dukesters

dukesters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers:smashin: its maybe fully booked but is still letting you apply so will keep trying with a different email address. Dont want to miss out as its on my doorstep and ofcourse compare it to my humble set up:D

21. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    The site will actually state sold out, so if you can apply hopefully it's just a slow response :)

22. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    apparently there was quite a bit of motion blur :rolleyes:

its all good getting the resolution insane but concentrate on the thing we like best.. fluid motion thats easy on the eye

also 22 ch sound .. i have only 2 ears.. headphones would do the same trick :p

23. Beard of Steel

Beard of Steel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    On what scenes were the motion blur?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  24. dukesters

dukesters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Managed to get some tickets and see it this afternoon:D Was very impressed with both the picture and sound. The level of detail in the picture was amazing considering the size of the screen which is huge!

Its quite difficult to compare it with a home cinema like mine which consists of an Optoma HD87 with a fixed 120" screen in a dedicated room. Ofcourse it was better but in relative terms I dont think it was between 4 and 16 times better given the jump in resolution. Iam not sure it would be fully appreciated on a 120" screen but who cares I want it:devil:

I would say where it really shines is the detail that is achieved from a distant camera viewing position i.e. It really did feel you were in the crowd at the stadium looking out into the arena from a seated position with a whole view of the stadium in amazing definition.

I didnt see any basketball but they did show the mens 100m final from a couple of different angles which was fantastic.

I would agree with what others have said regarding the sound and I think the reason it lacked in bass was more to do with they want you to hear what is being heard in the stadium as if you were there i.e. other people clapping and cheering around you along with the stadiums own sound system if that makes any sense. A very realistic sound unlike the bass from the sub on a film for example.

Needless to say I would highly recommend the experience if you have the chance to go and see it:)

25. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,422
    Sounds great.

If its available asan affordable projector and will be able to upscale the BD library well then I'll get one. I upgrade my PJ once every 4-5 years and as I am upgrading now this will be perfect timing ( maybe 3D will be artefact free by then lol)

26. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Two chances of this being available in 4 years...Bob hope and no hope LOL

27. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    4-5 yrs and 4k tech will be widespread like 1080p is now and at affordable (circa £1500 for entry level machines) prices with 4k media readily available also.8k think in terms of 10yrs+ so I will be lucky to ever see it in my home as I am 60.:(

28. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    Ahh plenty of time, 15 years and we might see it, at 75 I'd still expect to see you on these forums!

It will be interesting to see how they will deliver the content.

29. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Via flash drives on full wall sized 3d holographic projectors with supersurroundsesoinyerface sound....and an electronic circuitry set that gives you a jolt if you say the 3d is now too realistic ...

Pity you might miss all this kbfern !

30. steviedr

steviedr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    I think read there is an 8K LCD screen demoing this and the image actually looks 3D without the glasses.
    Roll on 4K, hopefully the next gen consoles next year may lead the way.