Super Hi-def(1040) On My Pc Slow

stevedster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Cant really get Super Hi-Def (1040) to run on my pc smoothly, am using zoom player with appropriate filter installed, the only way I have found to do this is to enable 'fast write' but am not so keen on doing this as its meant to make the system unstable.

my pc specs are... AMD 2600, 1GB RAM, ATI RADEON 9600pro.

Any advice or help please...

I thought the minimum spec for HD was a 3Ghz P4 or equivalent.

What resolution is your display?

I think the 2600 is the problem

Dave

I could not run the 1040 demos form the mIcrosoft website on my system, until I upgraded my graphics card, they now run smoothly.

My specs:
Shuttle SN41G2v2
Athlon XP 2700+
512mb Crucial DDR333

Changed graphics card from FX5200 to the fanless Nvidia 6600GT 128mb and with the nvidia dvd codec it now seems to play everything very nicely....

DaveP said:
I thought the minimum spec for HD was a 3Ghz P4 or equivalent.

What resolution is your display?

I think the 2600 is the problem

Dave

3ghz is the optimum spec, 2.6 athlon xp should have no problems running it. my gfx card is 128mb too, so cant see that being the problem, my display is fine as its is a brand new 19' imagequest tft. what i do know is when i run super hi def my cpu usage jumps up to 98-100%, so i know this is the problem, what i am after is a way to take this strain away from the cpu in someway?? i know people can run SHD with pc specs like mine. theres gotta be a way, with filters, codecs?? anyone any ideas here?

1080p is just hi def not super hi def.

Hmm but thinking about your probs, make sure your discs are properly defragged, then check to make sure you haven't got anything running that doesn't need to be. Then I'm all out of ideas :) It plays fine on an XP2800+ with 512Mb and a Radeon 9800 Pro, I might get 1 or 2 dropped frames if I check the stats but not so I'd notice visually.

Just read the thing about Fast Writes, enable them, it can make a big difference.

I would have thought that the Radeon 9600pro is the weak link, may need a more powerful card - the 9800 pro or 6600GT are significantly more powerful cards.

You could always try media player classic. By far and away the most efficient player out there.

Grumble said:
No such thing as 1080p (progressive)

Yes there is but its not generally what you'll get on domestic HD formats.

And... 1080i when its originated from frame based material ( ie, film) and has been correctly mastered can easily be deinterlaced to give 1080p that would be little different from native 1080p.

Mr.D said:
Yes there is but its not generally what you'll get on domestic HD formats.

And... 1080i when its originated from frame based material ( ie, film) and has been correctly mastered can easily be deinterlaced to give 1080p that would be little different from native 1080p.

I stand corrected then. :confused:

I'll just have nip out and rob my bank, to invest in some HDTV studio gear :devil:

Grumble said:
I stand corrected then. :confused:

I'll just have nip out and rob my bank, to invest in some HDTV studio gear :devil:

:p

The demos on MSs website are actually 1080p, they're not 1080i which is why they need such high specs, pity there's not 1080p displays around yet :) Well maybe that Sharp (?) one is. Can't wait till they come down to sensible prices :D

Yes but 1080i frame originated material would be more sensibly stored as 1080p especially for viewing primarily on a computer.

1080i and 1080p when it comes to film are pretty much indistinguishable. 1080i only becomes relevant if you are watching an interlaced display. Why do you think there are two HD formats 1080i and 720p ? 1080i is used for frame based material as its easily deinterlaced to 1080p , 720p is more commonly used as a replacement for circumstances that would more normally have used interlaced video ( news , sports etc etc)

The 720p used for the WMV examples is there only to allow less grunty hardware to play it rather than the above reason.

Hi,

Your system should be able to run Ms HD demos as i have on an old P4 2.4 ,Radeon 9600 PC i used to have.

Have you actually tried to use Microsofts dedicaded HD content player WMP10 and its latest codecs?

Try that.

Dr HTPC said:
Hi,

Your system should be able to run Ms HD demos as i have on an old P4 2.4 ,Radeon 9600 PC i used to have.

Have you actually tried to use Microsofts dedicaded HD content player WMP10 and its latest codecs?

Try that.

I do have WMP10, is that what you mean? also I have just ordered a Radeon 9800pro 256mb card (for only £89 i couldnt resest!), hopefully this will do the job.

I find that on different HD m,aterial different players use up varrying amounts of cpu power. I usually use media player classic, but on this one HD movie the cpu jumps to 80-95%. If I use windvd6 or jet audio the cpu useage drops to 30-50%.

Does anyone know why?

Razor said:
I find that on different HD m,aterial different players use up varrying amounts of cpu power. I usually use media player classic, but on this one HD movie the cpu jumps to 80-95%. If I use windvd6 or jet audio the cpu useage drops to 30-50%.

Does anyone know why?

Codecs are the reason here as they use different ones and some are more modern then others and have been developed to use less cpu power also the actual program can effect Cpu usage as well but not as much as the codec.

stevedster said:
I do have WMP10, is that what you mean? also I have just ordered a Radeon 9800pro 256mb card (for only £89 i couldnt resest!), hopefully this will do the job.

Where did you find that card at that price?

You can modify this card (if it contains the R360 core chip, which it should) and turn it into a 9800XT, which to buy the Xt outright costs nearly double!

I have done this mod myself on my 9800Pro 128mb!

got it from...

http://www.palicomp.co.uk/

however they also do ebay auctions to promote the site, i got mine from there at £89 inc vat. i think on the actual site its more like £105 inc vat, still a damn good price if you ask me. i will pm you about that mod when i install this baby, cheers mate :thumbsup:

Hi,

I thought you might have got it from there, it's an SE card not Pro!

Are you sure you have a 9800pro and not the 9800SE?

If it is the SE as i suspect then all is not lost as you can mod it to a 9800pro or a fireGL X2.

(9800pro = normal gaming card, FireGl X2 = Workstation CAD graphics card)

Dr HTPC said:
Hi,

I thought you might have got it from there, it's an SE card not Pro!

Are you sure you have a 9800pro and not the 9800SE?

If it is the SE as i suspect then all is not lost as you can mod it to a 9800pro or a fireGL X2.

(9800pro = normal gaming card, FireGl X2 = Workstation CAD graphics card)

hmmm so how will i mod it then?

I wouldn't bother modding it to a fireGL to be honest , not much call for it in an HTPC and to be honest its still not really going to give you what a real fireGL would: stability and smooth gui operation with certain 3d software packages.

You should be fine playing hidef with a 9800pro. Incidentally I alos have a 9800XT 256M ( a real one) in my other machine and the 9800pro in conjunction with a slightly faster processor gives marginally better gaming performance.

I had the exact same problem with my system, and was blaming my trusty ati 9600SE. The problem was resolved with the new version of fdshow/zoom player. All hi def stuff run silky smooth now.

stevedster said:
Cant really get Super Hi-Def (1040) to run on my pc smoothly, am using zoom player with appropriate filter installed, the only way I have found to do this is to enable 'fast write' but am not so keen on doing this as its meant to make the system unstable.

my pc specs are... AMD 2600, 1GB RAM, ATI RADEON 9600pro.

Any advice or help please...

Hi Steve,

I had the same problem with 90 - 100% utilisation with Media Player and 1080i HD footage.

The actual fix was to ensure that AGP Fast Writes are enabled. Apparently some graphics adapters do not support it, and it took me a while to try and find the setting on my Geforce fx5700 but you may need to use a tool such as rivatuner (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163). The setting needs to be enabled in both your Motherboard bios and graphics adapter settings. My Gigabyte motherboard has the setting hidden though and I had to press 'CTRL and F1' to get to it.

Once I had set them both to enabled the 1080i video was smooth in media player.

Cheers,
Pete.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom