• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Super cheap international calling

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
My girlfriend is off to Majorca for two weeks and wont have internet there, we're trying to find a cheap way to be able to call or text dont mind who has to do what but yeah, any help would be appreciated, we dont mind calls or texts just whatever comes out cheapest really?

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
did she tell you there is no internet ? :devil:

shes going with her family to their holiday villa where they dont have any internet? dont be like that ;) I dont expect her to go to an internet cafe while on holiday with her family..... its just two weeks lol.

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member

njdbaxter

FROM MONEYSUPERMARKET, i used similiar thing to call philippines in the past

Rebtel* is a new company with a clever piece of kit allowing you to make calls to 37 countries, again mainly Europe, Israel, North America, Australasia and the Far East, simply by dialing a local rate phone number. Therefore if you've free minutes on your mobile this call will be included, if not you'll only pay a local call rate.

It's a little fiddly to use, and the call quality is good but not great, so its best left for friends and family you call regularly. However as, for example, a 15 min call to the US is free rather than £15 on O2's standard rate, it's worth a fiddle!

How does it work?

To get your free minutes first of all go to the Rebtel site, and click the 'How it works tab', then the Make a smart call' tab on the next page. The first time you call someone using it, enter the person you're calling's number on its site, and it'll text you a local phone number to call. This then works every time you call that person, so save it in your mobile's address book for the future, and you won't need to return to the website. To make free calls:

Dial the local number. You're then connected to the person you're calling and should ask them to immediately call the number they see displayed on their mobile. If they're on a landline, it will send them an e-mail for the first call, the same number's then useable each subsequent time. The number will be a local one in their country. You have only 15 seconds to do this.

Stay on the line. Don't disconnect when they do, just hold on, and once they dial the access number they'll automatically be connected through to you.

There's no limit to the number of free calls you can make via this system. Do make sure you use this call back system to grab your free calls though, if you don't you'll be charged Rebtel's usual rates.

How does Rebtel make its money?

Rebtel's come up with a really clever ploy here. Making international calls to most major developed countries costs virtually nothing as they're just routed through the web; what's expensive is routing a call to a mobile. By getting both parties to call a local number, it's cleverly avoided this. It of course, hopes once you've used its free service, you'll use some of its other, paid for, services too.

Free Int'l Mobile Calls: Tricks to talk at no cost...

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
see thats a bit risky....... if she misses the number then its very quickly expensive, plus for her to answer even if i called her directly would cost her a lot. i was hoping for a solution where she could get a sim here which she could use to call me ect where you just top it up and its capped at like 3-4p per minute? issue with my calling her uk mobile number is that she'd end up getting the whole bill through

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member

signs

Banned
no seriously, im 18 and live with my parents, have no job........ ive not got enough money.

I don't mean to sound judgmental , but at 15 I was plucking turkeys , 16 picking strawberry's , 17 my parents had moved to Spain . 18 I was working in the was what the Former states of USSR .

You make your own way in life , as I keep telling my 19 year old daughter :)

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
signs said:
I don't mean to sound judgmental , but at 15 I was plucking turkeys , 16 picking strawberry's , 17 my parents had moved to Spain . 18 I was working in the was what the Former states of USSR .

You make your own way in life , as I keep telling my 19 year old daughter :)

No offence mate but I recon that's a bit out of the loop with my life and my situation. As it stands I'm spending 68 hours a week of my life in the family kebab shop learning the ropes and being able to take over one persons role at a time so the guys can take their holidays this year because my grandad is just too old to keep doing it meaning I don't have time to go out and work......... I just didn't think anyone particularly cared for my life story....... :/

Last edited:

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
signs said:
It is out of the "loop" , are you not being paid for your nearly 70 hour week ?:)

Not going to take money off my dad for helping him out in a tough spot? The mans already spent enough on me through education and the general necessities and more than a few luxuries which he could easily have said no to? I owe him if anything.

FlyingShrapnel

Surprised no one has mentioned "lebara" yet. You can get a free sim off their website and they do great international rates, not sure about Majorca but I know to call Hong Kong land line is 1p per minute :rotfl: :smashin:

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
FlyingShrapnel said:
Surprised no one has mentioned "lebara" yet. You can get a free sim off their website and they do great international rates, not sure about Majorca but I know to call Hong Kong land line is 1p per minute :rotfl: :smashin:

All good and well but wouldn't that cost her to answer calls as she's abroad? I'd be calling her uk mobile number?

Jules Tohpipi

You could try something like this

1. Pick-up local PAYG Sim card at airport when arriving in Spain
2. Buy €10 credit on the SmartVoip service (their website explains more)
3. When calling her, you use SmartVoip on your computer and the rates are approx 6.5p per min for you (if she receives the call on her mobile) or free if she's receiving the call on a landline in Spain. Not sure what the rates would be for her. If high then she calls you back.
4. When she calls you, she uses her local SIM to call the SmartVoip local access number which is 911320020 in Spain and then dials your number to get a very low rate (this onward call would be at the SmartVoip rates).

Have a look at the SmartVoip website. Check out 'local access numbers' in features. It might work for you as it's not just a VoIP service.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
The latest thing i could find after a google which is absolutely free to use..

373090-albums1647-picture12075.jpg

Obviously you will need a longer bit of string and permission from the air line to feed the string out of the back of the plane, but hey it's FREE!!

FlyingShrapnel

esaglik said:
All good and well but wouldn't that cost her to answer calls as she's abroad? I'd be calling her uk mobile number?

Does she not have a landline in her holiday house? Or else, get her to pick up a Majorca SIM and you can ring her on that? The rates are more expensive though if you are ringing mobile numbers

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom