Super-Bit DVD's...any good

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kbj242, Sep 21, 2007.

1. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hello All - in these days of DVD upscaling and hi-def discs, do the Superbit discs still make sense for someone like me (who has a non-HD plasma - which I love to bits- and a standard, but thoroughly-competent DVD player - which I have no reason to replace).
    Do Superbit discs look better than the standard editions ? The inclusion of a DTS soundmix on each one is appealing tbh.
    I also tend NOT to watch the extras so losing them in favour of a sharper picture also makes sense.

Any views ?

2. jrp023

jrp023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i guess they do for your circumstances, but i cant see too many being released in the future as i would imagine their target audience (people that are obsessed with picture quality) can pick up hd-dvd so cheap now.

so viable for you yes
    viable for them... probably not.

and yes the ones i have seen do look better.

3. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks JRP. I can also understand why they might be in decline a little now. But thanks for your hinest response.

If they're an improvement then I may invest in a couple.

Nice one. Anyone else any views ?

4. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,202
  5. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Its a bit of a marketing scam, there are plenty of "non-superbit" DVDs which will have just as good quality. Mind you I have Spiderman 1/2 and Das Boot ( across two discs :rotfl: ) in Superbit.

I would be happy for all extras to be dropped from DVDs if the actual movie would be at a higher quality, as I never watch them, but just having the movie at a better bit rate will not necessarily improve its quality, there are plenty of other limitations - quality of the original material, DVD players, TVs, connections etc.

If they are a decent price go for them, but dont pay much more.

6. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    In their day they were worth it in some cases. Like Starship Troopers R1 superbit was demostration quality along with Fifth Element R1. Largely because they had new transfers compared to their earlier non superbit releases. Of course both those films are out on Blu-ray now.

7. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The Superbit version of Starship Troopers looks ALMOST as good as the Blu-Ray version!

8. dazm41

dazm41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    hi kbj242, speaking from a fan of super-bit yes they are better in quality, films like fith element , dracula , patriot , star ship troopers. so on all do look good , to get the best film transfer you need to look at the japanesse super-bit these do cost more money. but it's not all about pq it's the sound aswell , you can pick some cheap super-bit titlels on ebay , fith element is still regarded as a reference dvd if you look at the picture you will no why ,stunning have not seen the blu-ray version so can't say what that looks like,

9. McKinley

McKinley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    As has already been mentioned, some Superbit discs are real improvements upon the original non-superbit releases. However, you should tread carefully as some releases were found to have no more disc-space utilised for the movie on the superbit version than on the standard version i.e. they looked no better and lacked the extras.

10. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,202
    This is quite a good site:

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/superbit/superbit.htm

I'd say the fact it is superbit also means someone took the time to actually 'look' and 'hear' what was going on rather than just churn out another disk. As you are making the disk a flagship disk quality is a bit more important.

11. iron_lifter

iron_lifter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have in superbit

Spiderman 1 and 2
    Mask of Zorro
    Men in Black
    xXx
    Fast & Furious

I compared them to my "normal" DVD versions of them and yes the picture is better, more detail & 3D. Sound is better too. Im still looking to increase my superbit collection