1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super 8 fan needs to choose a cam!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lissadell, Nov 21, 2002.

1. lissadell

lissadell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thinking has been that my choice of DV cam should be dictated by the best lens. But which has really the best optical performance. You know, that sharpness of detail. This led to me shortlisting a GX7b (Leica lens but poor review in camuser), MV550i (reviews say great picture quality), Gr DV2000 (1.2 aspherical - but I can't find anyone saying the lens is the best and it doesn't have manual shutter option), gs5b - bit better price wise. Also, are there manual functions of the canon or gs5 and gx7. I'd welcome opinions.

2. nathan_hill69

nathan_hill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the GX7-B and have been totally happy with picture quality, sound, colur reproduction and menu system. I work in Televison post production and have reviwed the results on Grade 1 monitors and totally think it holds its own. I saw the review you refer to and I agree that it seemed to mark it down on some points but at the same time one of the other magazines gave it a far more glowing review - it's all a bit subjective.

The Cannon has been rated by many people and was one that I considered but ultimately did not choose as it looked quite plasticy and also did not sit in my palm so comfortably due to the case design. Also, read a posting on www.macuser.co.uk forum really putting the Cannon down due to excesive motor noise being picked up by the microphone.

I cannot speak concerning other models apart from the one I own but hope that my positive experience may provide another perspective when considering your purchase.

3. nathan_hill69

nathan_hill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, just rememebered your other questions - the GX7-B does have manual/auto and pre-set controls for white balance, exposure etc. The night vision isn't great but not sure who would use this (always thinks it's a bit of a "novelty" function on home camcorders). The stills are pretty good (megapixel) but obviously cannot compete with dedicated digital stills camera - I still use it for snapshots. Handy having the flash on the camera for when you do use the stills function.