Super 8 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

The_Wierd

Was really hooked by the story, performances and suspense but then gradually got worse from half way. Think I fell asleep during the last part at the cinema. Watched it again on TV a few years later and still fell asleep for the last third! Went on a bit too long.
First half was excellent though. The young actors were all excellent.

Reminded by this review, I watched it again last night on the original Blu-ray (which looks great actually), and I fell asleep just after half way. I forgot about that, it really drags after a certain point, and only picks up at the very end. Not sure what's wrong with it exactly, but the pacing is definitely off somehow.

jakimp

Distinguished Member
i didnt have any copy of this in my collection so an easy pick up

its a really good movie and the picture quality was vet acceptable

the sound mix is a cracking track and upmixing it in my receiver produced an excellent experience

agreed the young cast nailed it

no regrets pick up for me and good review and fair score

mclingo

Distinguished Member
really enjoyed this, havent seen it for a long time, definitely one of my favourites by Abrams but I'm one of the few who actually liked 2009 star trek so my taste maybe questionable for some :)

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think it's a film you have to forget the last one third. The beginning and the middle of this title make the ending dissapointing.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
I remember thinking something similar the first time I watched but on rewatch I though it was good, however... the Speight of utterly dreadful movies over the last few years has obviously lowered the bar

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
really enjoyed this, havent seen it for a long time, definitely one of my favourites by Abrams but I'm one of the few who actually liked 2009 star trek so my taste maybe questionable for some :)
Theres nothing wrong with 2009 Star Trek.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Good movie and mostly happy with the PQ but some scenes were a bit out of focus briefly but quickly snapped in. But odd that.

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
Watched it last night and was pretty happy with the PQ but even though the soundtrack is pretty stonking IMO it would have really taken it up a notch with an Atmos upgrade. I'll try and make a point of watching it again soon using upmix.

IGC

Nice review Simon spot on.

Cool little film with a great cast feels like I already knew it when I watched it for the first time -I'm in when it's £10 or so no rush.

Zavvi's release:

super8.jpg

IGC

Picked up the US release I prefer that artwork. Interesting they've dumped the Blu-ray disc.

Had to put it in a UK Amaray case as the US Elite case was totally crap barely protected it.

Had a quick look through the transfer looks fab.

super8.JPG

Davyb100

Picked up the US release I prefer that artwork. Interesting they've dumped the Blu-ray disc.

Had to put it in a UK Amaray case as the US Elite case was totally crap barely protected it.

Had a quick look through the transfer looks fab.

View attachment 1542964
The US release artwork gives it a more retro look I think, nice choice. I’m still sitting on the fence re. the upgrade, great film but with the lack of Atmos I’m not sure if replacing the blu ray is really worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom