Super 8 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simba

Distinguished Member
Huge disappointment at the lack of atmos.... :facepalm:

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Absolutely love this film and watched the 4k disk last night... and totally agree with the review.

I was a little bit disappointed to see there was no Atmos remix, but the existing TrueHD track is already superb.... and if your receiver can upmix to an immersive format you won't feel cheated.

The DV image is excellent, but man... did JJ go to town with the lens flares on this one :p

The film has got Spielberg all over it, even if he didn't direct - kids on bikes, broken families,(I'll put this in spoilers but most will know already) a visitor from outer space... but above all a great fantastic story and characters you actually care about.

The extras on the BD are genuinely interesting (if a bit sparse) too, particularly the story of how Abrams met Spielberg. The kids auditions are well worth a watch too.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Nice review. Agree with the Stranger Things and SS vibe. Feels pure 70/80. Super movie with awesome performances from the young cast.

Read a few mixed reviews on the PQ but, given the huge array of cameras used (film,digi), it wouldnt surprise me if peeps have been slightly mixed on this. 13 Hours was the same. Amazing PQ one min, so so the next.

Last edited:

james03

Great movie, one of the first non animations that I watched with our daughters. They enjoyed it a lot, kids relate to kids without the technology.

Dorian

Nice review of a really great film - watched this recently. That scene with Elle Fanning acting in the home movie blew me away, what a performance.

The_Wierd

Great movie, but £6 on iTunes in 4K and DV vs 20 quid for the disc. It’s getting really hard to justify physical disc purchases for such a minimal upgrade over the streaming option. I will admit that lossless Atmos on discs definitely sounds better, but when the disc doesn’t even have that, there is no way I’d pay full whack. A 2 for 20 special if ever there was one.

Feels like the big studios actually want disc sales to fail if they continue to push out lazy releases like this.

THX1138UK

The train crash is just an amazing audio experience!

Love the 80s movie vibe - where the kids are centre stage, pitched against the adults...
Personally, I think the first half of the movie is stronger than the second (suspenseful).
Less is definitely more with this one.

Also love the retro poster. Proper movie artwork is sadly seldom seen these days.

Cheers,
James.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Definitely one I will love to revisit!

Davyb100

Standard Member
Thanks for the review Simon. I love this film and was intending on replacing my blu-ray copy but the lack of Atmos and what seems like a marginal picture upgrade means I will likely wait for a price drop. For me it’s harder to justify replacing a blu-ray copy of discs if there is no 3D audio mix but the temptation usually gets the better of me in the end. The train crash could have been a standout Atmos scene.

MonkeyM

Standard Member
Was really hooked by the story, performances and suspense but then gradually got worse from half way. Think I fell asleep during the last part at the cinema. Watched it again on TV a few years later and still fell asleep for the last third! Went on a bit too long.
First half was excellent though. The young actors were all excellent.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Wondering if the clipping on lower end has been fixed.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Was really hooked by the story, performances and suspense but then gradually got worse from half way. Think I fell asleep during the last part at the cinema. Watched it again on TV a few years later and still fell asleep for the last third! Went on a bit too long.
First half was excellent though. The young actors were all excellent.
Yep I seem to remember the same thing. Good first half and progressively worse as it went on to the point where I didn't care. Glad that people who love the film can get it in 4K now though.

encaser

It s good but does hit terminal velocity at around 1hr 15. Having said that, the end credits with the kids' film is fun and did have me cracking up at the big lad in the chair.
The PQ is decent and the train crash scene in 7.1 has you ducking for cover.
Perhaps more of a reviewer's film. I found some of the camera work a bit odd at times, what with long pans to the kids and then readjusting just as it gets to them. Strange jerky choice from a fluid build.

THX1138UK

Great movie, but £6 on iTunes in 4K and DV vs 20 quid for the disc. It’s getting really hard to justify physical disc purchases for such a minimal upgrade over the streaming option. I will admit that lossless Atmos on discs definitely sounds better, but when the disc doesn’t even have that, there is no way I’d pay full whack. A 2 for 20 special if ever there was one.

Feels like the big studios actually want disc sales to fail if they continue to push out lazy releases like this.

The existing sound mix is absolutely superb. Not all ATMOS mixes are an improvement over the original.

Regards,
James.

The_Wierd

The existing sound mix is absolutely superb. Not all ATMOS mixes are an improvement over the original.

Regards,
James.
Sure, I agree, but I have the Blu-ray version, so they have to do something to justify the upgrade. The original soundtrack may be great, but a good Atmos mix definitely wouldn't hurt either. The link in the previous post shows there is little or no extra detail in the image, so HDR is the only benefit.

Just releasing with a quick HDR pass, but the same soundtrack and extras isn't going to shift many units, when the original Blu-ray can be picked up for pennies or the streaming version for a low price. They ain't getting my money.

mb3195

Distinguished Member

Fake Shempz

I remember watching this back in the day - love a bit of retro 80s sci-fi/horror (if you could out this into those genres). Decided to watch it on Netflix yesterday, and its still a good movie. A very solid 7.5 - 8/10 for me.

Snake79

I'm looking forward to watching the 4K disc over the weekend.

This is basically Stranger Things the movie as far as I am concerned, even the new cover art is now very similar to the Stranger Things poster artwork, which itself is a love letter to those fantastic hand drawn posters of the 80's. It's come full circle.

I loved it when I first saw it and although the final third of the film is not as good as the first two, it has enough in it that I come back to it every few years when I want to see a retro sci-fi, action-horror-mystery movie.

It's got some great acting by the kids who really carry the film and the movie does have that magical Spielberg vibe. Abrams directing and visual style actually add to the experience for once.

The scene where the kids are filming at the train station and the train crash are a cinematic standout which had me holding my breath the first time I watched it. It was such a visceral and dynamic experience on blu-ray. Sure, having an Atmos track might have been nice or even expected for the 4K disc but the 7.1 Dolby TrueHD track is pure reference.

I am a little concerned that this might not be a new 4K scan but an upscale. The screeenshots barely resolve any extra detail over the blu-ray which is surprising. I was hoping for something similar to that of Spielberg's War of the Worlds in 4K which had a significant upgrade in detail over the blu-ray. I guess I will have to watch it to find out.

simonjenkins

Super 8 4K Blu-ray

this movie came out 2011 i thought this film is going to be a one off watch and it'll stay on the dvd stand for ages, i was looking through my dvds/blurays and
came across this movie super 8, i was looking at the dvd and thought it would make a good night if we put it on, my brother thought otherwise and
said its bloody rubbish and we are not putting that on, i stood my ground and said lets give it a go and things moved on to the time when we put super 8 into the
dvd player and we sat down with beers/pizza and started to watch the movie, the denon h2500 was on and we were watching the movie roll on and
boy what a brilliant movie, the kids made the movie and the train crash was stunning, even my brother had to admit it was good and the sound/picture
was bloody good, anyway i had the chance to buy it on bluray and we sat sown and watched it again and the picture/sound was much better, we just loved the
movie and will always love this movie, its coming out on 4k ultra, if you cant tell the difference between bluray and 4k you need your eyes testing
because 4k is the way to go has for quality in picture/sound,

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Roam NC, affordable TWS earbuds
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba smart TVs add Amazon Music and Twitch apps