Sunshine PQ

leedebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watched this movie & overall thought it was ok, not as good as the hype but a good film nonetheless
One thing that bugged me was the PQ
Don't get me wrong its not poor, in fact some of the scenes are very good but the black level seems off, the scenes of space seem to have the brightness turned up, but no amount of tweaking seem to resolve this
I thought there was someone wrong with my display but its the same on me other tv
Is the disc meant to be like this? Wondered why nobody else has mentioned the picture, in fact some reviews inply the PQ is excellent (mind you they also say the AR is 1.78.1! :rolleyes:

Just watched this movie & overall thought it was ok, not as good as the hype but a good film nonetheless
One thing that bugged me was the PQ
Don't get me wrong its not poor, in fact some of the scenes are very good but the black level seems off, the scenes of space seem to have the brightness turned up, but no amount of tweaking seem to resolve this
I thought there was someone wrong with my display but its the same on me other tv
Is the disc meant to be like this? Wondered why nobody else has mentioned the picture, in fact some reviews inply the PQ is excellent (mind you they also say the AR is 1.78.1! :rolleyes:

I watched this on DVD for the first time a couple of nights ago. I thought that the PQ was outstanding, in fact I thought I was one of the best that I had ever seen on the DVD Format. I started to pay more attention to the quality of the picture than I did to the movie. I watched out for things like black levels, I thought blacks where always solid. Basically I thought that it was amazing. Plus the DD 5.1 was top notch. I went straight to the Movie Reviews on the forums to see if there was a HD Review as I'm sure that this will look even more amazing, but it's not out yet.

Perhaps someone else can help shed some light on the problem.

I watched this on DVD for the first time a couple of nights ago. I thought that the PQ was outstanding, in fact I thought I was one of the best that I had ever seen on the DVD Format. I started to pay more attention to the quality of the picture than I did to the movie. I watched out for things like black levels, I thought blacks where always solid. Basically I thought that it was amazing. Plus the DD 5.1 was top notch. I went straight to the Movie Reviews on the forums to see if there was a HD Review as I'm sure that this will look even more amazing, but it's not out yet.

Perhaps someone else can help shed some light on the problem.

Strange you say it was outstanding:confused: I wonder if I have a dodgy disc?
My display is set up perfect for me, I have been watching lots of discs over the weekend but the PQ on this film puzzled me
In the opening title sequence when the spaceship veers across screen the "space" is not black but dark grey on my copy, if I pause and decrease brightness to make the "blacks" black then I lose definition everthing looks too dark, I then reset the brightness to how it was before put another dvd on (star wars EP1) & the blacks are rock solid :smashin:
This is weird:rolleyes:

I thought the PQ on sunshine was really good. In fact some of the best I've seen for a while.

I watched it the other night and actually wondered why I was bothering with HD DVD as i thought it looked nearly as good as HD.

Of course I could have dodgy eyesight but to me it looked great. Thought it looked better than Pan's Labyrinth which i watched last night for example.

Very odd, could be a duff disc as you suggest. I thought it was pretty good though.

Strange this, lent the disc to two mates & they both thought the same as me
ie not a bad picture but defo a problem with the black level, seems a tad too bright, rather like an older b movie style tbh
Oh well at least it wasn't just me

Even though I just haven't made that jump yet to a HD Format. I keep a good eye out for the movie reviews, so as I know what to buy when I do. Just a little disappointed that the reviewer was unable to score the movie higher. I honestly thought that this movie would have be A1 on HD.

I know what you mean.

After i'd seen this on the big screen I was thinking that it would look amazing on HD Disc.

Fox don't realy seem to be setting the world on fire when it comes to HD on optical disc at the moment so perhaps it would have fared better on HD DVD:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom