Sunsets are unpredictably predictable

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by denno75uk, Apr 30, 2007.

1. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Around 8 last night it looked like we were in for a pretty nice sunset. Sky was mostly clear with some rather interesting looking cloud in the west. So, I told my better half to keep tea back as I was off out to try and snap it.

I was quite unprepared for how long it would take for the sun to get down beyond the horizon though. I'd taken a few silhouettes and sky shots but the pinks and oranges hadn't really done much so by 8:40 and tea rapidly spoiling I headed back.

I know sunsets don't really get going til about 15 mins after sundown but I'd convinced myself it wasn't going to do much anyway. Sod's Law dictates, however, that just as the housing estate is between me and the horizon, the sky lights up :rolleyes: .

Never mind. There is, for now at any rate, still next time.

A couple of questions though. Firstly, I'm still not too happy with the colour saturation in my shots when using P, Tv, Av etc. In Portrait it's alot better. I know I can adjust colour temp in camera but is there anyway to get better saturation? Secondly, I was shooting RAW at 400 ISO by mistake and when I viewed the shots back in DPP they seemed pretty noisy. The converted JPEGS are alot better. Any reasons for this? I wouldn't have expected any issues at 400.

Anyway, here's a few that I would appreciate any C&C on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one focussing on the background instead of the silhouette. Can't decide if it worked
    [​IMG]

2. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    very nice, I do like a sunset! SorryI can't answer your query, but thought I would share a photo I took last week. Koh Phi Phi around 6.30pm.

[​IMG]

3. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Anyone offer any help with the questions?

Ta.

4. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    #2 is the best of your bunch there. The sharp silhouette works well against the coloured background. #3 is spoilt by the sun being obscured by the plant, which is why #2 looks better.

The blurred foreground doesn't work in my view. The eye is drawn to the silhouette and the viewer then thinks that you cant focus for toffee cos it's all blurry. I reckon you're after the colours of the sunset as a backdrop to another subject like in #2. If you want the sunset on its own, dont put something out of focus in front of it.

Regarding saturation - lots depends on your monitor, camera settings etc. You might find that RAW has a different white balance applied compared to the jpeg (though I think the Canon RAW software initially displays the image with the same setting as in the camera). Dont forget though that the jpeg will have been processed by the camera which may have saturation boosted a bit (though again I think the RAW software starts from the camera settings).

Anyhow, saturation is an easy fix in any image processing software, so you're better off starting with RAW, then post processing in the RAW software, then finishing in Photoshop or whatever.

Not sure why the RAW looks noisier than the jpeg other than detail being lost (smoothed) in the jpeg during in-camera processing.

Hope this helps. Keep shooting and you'll figure it all out.

Tobers

5. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Cheers dude. I'm on a works jolly at the mo' (rare in the NHS so I'm making the most of it) but I'm still sober enough to understand what your suggesting. If the conversion corrects noise nd I can use PP to sort any colour issues in RAW I'll probs carry on doinf that.

Take your point sabout shot #2 and the OOF one. Will work on that.

My hotel has free wireless access by the way. Top or what? I know some of the bigwigs here may take it for granted. I'm well chuffed though.

And Liverpool won tonight. I'm a Toffee really but on nights like this I'm a red through and through.

You have no idea how hard it is to type this. II know how Liquid felt now.

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Nothing wrong with a wee dram or 2... Rare as you say in the NHS ( i should know!!)
    Hope you don't have a hangover though

Although you shouldn't really have noise in RAW at ISO 400 with the 400D,
    you can apply some gentle noise reduction there and see if it makes any difference.
    You can use DPP with Jpegs too: and equally apply noise reduction
    It may be that the noise reduction for chrominance was high hence the jpegs looking better

Under: Tools, Preferences, General there is a noise reduction option: none , low ,high each for luminance and chrominance noise
    Experimenting with them may be worth trying

As for saturation, if you change your picture styles in camera , it makes a lot more difference than the mode you use (ie P TV AV)

You can change these in DPP but DPP seems to have a slightly different slant to the picture styles than the camera. Same applies to Raw Image Task

Your Images : #2 is the Best , #1 isnt that bad
    #3 (foilage obscuring sun..not too good) and the blurred foreground doesn't work)
    HTH