Question Sunfire True Sub Signature beter or not then my M&K 350 MK2 ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by splnter, Jan 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Ok ive been looking at a smaller sub for a wile now and was looking into the Sunfires.. Ok would love a svs ultra but they dont come up alot for sale.. so what are your thoughts ?? Ive had the m&k since new and has done me well. but want more power now.. Ok i know some sunfires have had problems in the past ... but if they can be fixed will they be ok.

Thanks.

2. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Hi

So when you say "more power" what does that actually mean as having a more powerful amp doesn't necessary give you more output especially if you go with a small/er unit.

That said what is your budget and have you got any size constraints etc.

3. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well im running s150s.. pioneer lx85 amp.. but try get the sub set up well and it sounds too boomy.. ive got the chance to get a sunfire and see what that is like... more bunch less boom.

4. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    So what onboard auto EQ does the lx85 have? If it has xt32 (i haven't looked) then i would seriously think about moving your current sub position to a different place.

5. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Not many places to move it too. lol Most of the time i let the MCACC set it all up.. but then i have to go in and turn the sub up anyway.

[​IMG]

6. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    So is this more or less a dedicated room and even thought it may not be it looks like you have got plenty of sub position options to me.

Can i see a pic you stood just infront of the screen to the rear of the room!! Is it a 7.1 setup.

7. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Ok so apparently MCACC lacks sub EQ so your onto a big loser there!! And cuts off at 63Hz.
    The simple thing to do is to add an Anti-mode 8033c

8. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I remember having the same problem years ago.. and someone saying set the sub where you sit and walk around to find out where it sounds best.. well i did that and sounds better in the loo. lol

The other problem is .. when sitting down to watch a film i find if i sit up i get more bass. lol room shakes but cant hear the sub.. and this is why i was thinking of trying another sub.. im gonna update amp soon to a pioneer 59 , as i want atmos..

[​IMG]

9. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    You would be best served experimenting with sub placement and adding a good outboard EQ like the 8033 as mentioned. A sense of "boomy" is almost always associated with room induced peaks in the bass response.

Tom V.

10. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Sweet ok Thanks Tom.. i will see what i can do :)

11. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    There are a couple of other things ive notice one of which is which the screen is down! having your main LR speakers in the alcoves ain't going to give you good imaging , as the chimney breast if not the screen or both will obscure this.

Your rear surrounds need lowering and especially if your going the add ceiling atmos speakers but i would pull them down a little anyway.

Viper is selling a couple of MK Mx-350's which would work but before suggesting any more is this room more or less a dedicated cinema room.??

12. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Here is one of my early threads where I gave my opinions on the tiny Sunfire D8....

Just Going To Collect My Sunfire D8.....

Nothing has even come close to impressing me as much as that sub did, It gave more wow factor than even my calibrated 5090 Kuro did!

13. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Changing his sub for a smaller / larger more or lesser expensive unit isn't going to help his situation by much if the underline issue(s) are not resolved first. The issue is still obviously there and other issues which i have made a point of mentioning.

14. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,192
    I'd suggest buying a receiver with Audyssey instead of another with MCACC along with the possibility of still requiring an additional external EQ device :)

15. camelot1971

camelot1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,002
    Just as an observation, you have a lot of shiny reflective surfaces in that room so it wouldn't be surprising the sound isn't what you want.

I second getting some proper EQ going on there if you can't or don't want to change any of the furnishings.

If you are thinking of changing your receiver would it be worth trying the Arcam AVR550 or 850 with Dirac?

16. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Agree'd!! On both accounts , plus i think that a few more adjustments would make a big difference.

17. camelot1971

camelot1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,002
    Oh, forgot to add, a :smashin: from me for the Anti-mode. I was unsure if it would add anything to my room as I was pretty happy with the sound, but wow, what a difference! Best £210 I ever spent on AV! (bought from L-Sound in Norway).

18. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    I didn't say it would, The OP asked for opinions on Sunfire subs not a specific model and I found them to be superb.
    They also have models with built in EQ (or at least they did) which could be handy for room issues. I am a mile away from being any kind of expert but the Sunfire subs are fantastic and as you can see in my thread I have heard some of the best (and biggest!) HC subs in action.

19. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    I will always try and persuade someone to holt on buying a new piece of equipment if i see reasons not to do so or issues!! even though the answers to those questions are not liked because they do not fit in to someone's scheme of things is another question.

Hell!! It's still not clear to me if this is a dedicated room or not but i'm presuming it is.

20. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Full understand that, Especially when it is decent kit to start with! The floor cannot be helping, And I would be looking at some heavy curtains personally.

From what the OP says the AVR is due an upgrade so personally I would do this first.

I am wondering if it would be worth facing the driver at the wall and/or having behind/next to the sofa. I have been lucky really and never had many issues with sub performance but I do know it sounds awful......Like when the local boy racer goes past :laugh:

21. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    If it were my choice i would take the alcoves out of the equation and build false walls level with the chimney breast or possibly further out from it! Then i'd build a fixed AT screen with enough gap to be able to mount the speakers behind and at a lower ear level.....................Plus the screen could also be mounted lower to , to around some 6" or so off the floor.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  22. i_raz

i_raz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I assume you are referring to the sunfire with the eq built in.

I compared the sunfire (the model with the eq built in), the dd15 and the older mk350 subs in the same room, same location and on the same day. Out of all 3 subs the sufire played the loudest. All 3 subs had different qualities. The mk had the most punch, the dd15 had the depth and the sunfire had a bit off both. The mk was good but it was lacking the depth. Not sure how much has changed on the mk2. I ended up keeping the sunfire as it played the loudest without running out of steam although I preferred the dd15 at the time so did a friend who heard them possibly because it was better integrated with my system with the velodyne sms eq system. If was to go back I would have possibly kept the dd15! I also had the svs pb13 ultra (from memory) and I preferred the sunfire over it. It may have been a setup issue with the svs.

However, I decided to stick to the sunfire and manged to buy 2 of them (had 3 of them at one point) but didn't feel the third one added as much so I sold it. I ended up keeping the 2 sunfires for a very long time. For something so small, the output is amazing and you could feel the room shake. I sold the sunfires after much deliberation and I have ended up with some 15" diy subs.

If you can try to get a demo of the sunfire if you go down that route. I think the sunfires have a steep roll off above 100hz something to bear in mind if you are running small satellite speakers.

However, as mojogoes has suggested you may have a setup issue so if you make a few changes you may find you don't need to change your sub and save some money.

23. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Your rear surrounds need lowering and especially if your going the add ceiling atmos speakers but i would pull them down a little anyway.

Ok these are not my rear speakers these are sides.. i have crap rear speakers on the floor at mo.. lol waiting to get another pair of ss150s. for the rear or k4s. runing 7.1

ust as an observation, you have a lot of shiny reflective surfaces in that room so it wouldn't be surprising the sound isn't what you want.

Ok the problem i have is its are living room.. so the misses will only let me do so much.. i will be getting some canvas pictures up so will make sound deadening out of that. Im going to go back to carpet in the living room. i think that might help.
    Also we have blinds so no curtains Problem i know.. but im gonna try get some blackout blinds to go behind the blinds i already have..

[​IMG]

I'd suggest buying a receiver with Audyssey instead of another with MCACC along with the possibility of still requiring an additional external EQ device

Emm ok problem here is M&K,S need power... and pioneer have more on tap from what ive seen so far without the need for a power amp.. ok i have a rotel.. but was gonna use that for atmos .

So is this more or less a dedicated room and even thought it may not be it looks like you have got plenty of sub position options to me.

Can i see a pic you stood just infront of the screen to the rear of the room!! Is it a 7.1 setup.

No its my living room. it is just over 20 foot long by 13 foot wide.

pic yer shore.. sorry about the misses lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Is that some kind of magic carpet / rug as if you stand on it , it will fly away?:D;) I thought rear surrounds meant those on the side wall , i apologise for my mistake!!

I will guess at your front LR units being a good feet or so too high and like i say your side surrounds need lowering about 12" , I definitely understand about the decor mate as mine was exactly the same 4 weeks before xmas until my better half and i started to talk about decorating so we went with a dark-ish wallpaper and mids to dark grey paints which she was in agreement with which surprised even me lol.

If your room is that long i take it that your no more than 10' / 11' or so away from your screen / tv which should then lend itself for you to position a sub behind the seating center back wall and the other upfront and center front wall................If you do it right with filling in the front alcoves!! It will not feel / look like you have lost any space but gained in performance imaging and once again better panning.

25. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    My main problem is.. i have neighbors ... behind .. i can try move the sub there but they will hear it alot more. lol My sofa is 15 foot from the screen. The mp150s i was gonna buy some Floating Shelfs to put them on to bring them more to the screen and down a bit.. Problem with the ss150s.. if i lower them down anymore people will hit there head on them.. lol Im not tall but some of my friends are lol

26. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    A lot of potential though:)...................You will just need to do more Wooing:rotfl:;)

27. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Our ceilings are at the same height and your ss150's are higher than mine and know one hits there head on mine as you usually move forwards when getting up unless your family have some kind of special powers!!

As for the neighbours! i can't see anyone running at high volumes all of the time or them being in all of the time..............But these changes will make your setup / system sound great even on lower volumes.

28. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well more arse kissing i think would be the better word.. lol

Ok il try lower the sides down and see how i get on.. so how high would you say from the floor ?? Only i put them up there as the m&k specs said..

Well im gonna update projector soon to a sony 4k.. as the old sony hs60 is getting on a bit now. lol

29. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Your choice of course but addressing the other issues first wouldn't actually cost a lot to accomplish!! anywhere near a new pj any way.....................But you can only lead a?:)

P.S I'd hold off from 4k for a good year or so anyway.

30. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Oh... i had a demo of a 520es and loved it.. but but they are not cheap as you know. lol
    yer i really need to get this sound sorted out.. But i will say this.. i did go and buy a sunfire last night.. and yep its more punchy then the m&k.. and shakes the dam house to bits.. lol just seeing how low it goes .. opps. hahaha. But im also looking at getting some rear speakers .. not shore what to get... K4 Tripole or ss150s.. as i want to go atmos... i dont know if i just need front facing speakers ...