Sunfire sub - amp faulty

RikC

Hi folks

Last week my sunfire true eq signature 12 suddenly stopped producing normal output. After a lot of fault finding this is what I have discovered:

With all volume controls on the amp and sub set to max there is a very quiet output from the sub. I've checked this by connecting my iPhone directly (using a different cable) to the sub and its the same thus ruling out the amp and cable as problem.

Took back plate off and connected AV amp directly to the driver. Works perfectly. Good solid normal output.

Now the odd thing is that I had the sub hooked into my amp while watching a film and suddenly the normal output would kick in but the bass would be all over the place and way out of time with the movie soundtrack. And then it would drop out again.

So I've narrowed it down to a problem with the back plate amp. But I really don't want to send it off to the States for repair. Apart from being an expensive repair (500quid from sunfire, 200 quid from independent third party) I was wondering if anyone on these forums knows of someone in the uk who can repair a sunfire back plate amp?

Thanks in advance for any help. Oh and if I can't source a sensible repair route for this can anyone recommend a similar sub to replace it but no more than 400quid? :)

Cheers.

hoppaz

Hi folks

Last week my sunfire true eq signature 12 suddenly stopped producing normal output. After a lot of fault finding this is what I have discovered:

With all volume controls on the amp and sub set to max there is a very quiet output from the sub. I've checked this by connecting my iPhone directly (using a different cable) to the sub and its the same thus ruling out the amp and cable as problem.

Took back plate off and connected AV amp directly to the driver. Works perfectly. Good solid normal output.

Now the odd thing is that I had the sub hooked into my amp while watching a film and suddenly the normal output would kick in but the bass would be all over the place and way out of time with the movie soundtrack. And then it would drop out again.

So I've narrowed it down to a problem with the back plate amp. But I really don't want to send it off to the States for repair. Apart from being an expensive repair (500quid from sunfire, 200 quid from independent third party) I was wondering if anyone on these forums knows of someone in the uk who can repair a sunfire back plate amp?

Thanks in advance for any help. Oh and if I can't source a sensible repair route for this can anyone recommend a similar sub to replace it but no more than 400quid? :)

Cheers.
Pay the 200 quid. You are willing to spend another 400 finding out how good the sub actually is :)

i_raz

Where do you live? I had my Cinepro amp repaired from someone is Manchester. I assume that he will be able to look at the sunfire amp.

Give him a call his number is 07769 036675. He has a repair shop at the back of his house. I can't remember his company name.

RikC

Thanks for that tip. I tried calling that number but it says it 'cannot connect me at this time'.

Now that everyone's back at work I rang around a few of my local audio shops (sevenoaks, audio-t) and they've suggested I try a local repair guy. He appears to be a bit of a dab hand with any kind of electronics and he'll do an initial investigation for £15.

Gonna give him a try and see how I get on. I've already warned him on the phone (he's not seen it yet) that the Sunfire back plate amps have a bit of a reputation for being 'weird'.

Will let you know how I get on. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom