1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday, 1292's...modifications...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Well, it’s supposed to be a busy Sunday for me. As some of you may know I managed to buy a couple of lw hr Sony1292’s a while ago. These are liquid coupled, colour filtered, electromagnetic focus 9” crt’s. So I sold my Sony1270 and now have one of these behemoths in my living room. The other is being a test bed for some mods.

As it stands the image from the 1292, without having a proper set up, is substantially better than the departing 1270. The fan noise of the big Sony has been widely reported as annoying and I can confirm it is bit. Mine is in a large open fronted cabinet with some vent holes cut at back. It gets hot and it’s louder than the 1270. Not as loud as a D’Ila but loud. The other 1292 is having fan replacement surgery. It has 12 fans. I am replacing 10 of them. If it’s still too noisy I’ll replace the last two but they are harder to get too. Five have gone in so far and it made a pretty effective difference but I still have the two large exhaust fans to get rid of and two 92mm intake fans at the power supply board. The large exhaust fans have been on order for three weeks now so I hope they come soon. The two 92mm ones arrived a coupled of days ago. I was going to replace them this afternoon but I am told Ikea shelving is to be my weekend priority…..

Once the fans are in I’ll be stacking the 1292 on top of my cabinet and then doing a comparison on picture quality and sound. It should be a laugh. All goes well I’ll be selling on one of the 1292’s afterwards…..or buying a bigger house for my double stack cinema :)

Gordon

2. FriarTuck

FriarTuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon

I would be very interested in how much quieter your 1292 becomes. Out of interest are you using the 'fan mod' off AVScience forum or replacing all fans ?

I have a 1292 and you are right the picture is fabulous. I need to replace the green CRT... any thoughts on where I can get one?

Friar

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I have parts for Chuck's fan mod but before doing that I want to measure how much of a temperature difference I can get for howmuch noise saving by changing fans to low noise, high cfm rated Papst units. One step at a time....

Gordon

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    Good idea. You may remember I had 4 of these things not long ago. I set one up on a very large strong coffee table in my HT room. Image was superb but it sounded like a cross between Mirage Fighter Jet and a washing machine. I'd be interested in the db's you achieve after Chuck Williams fan mod.

Regards
    Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.