Sunburn

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Hey guys and gals

After the glorious weather we had at the weekend, I came out of it a bit sunburnt, not a bad one I might add but a little tingle that makes you remember that the sun is there and you are still alive.

However last night, it flared up and started to itch and burn like something I have never felt before,felt like I fell into a pile of stinging nettles. I have never had this happen to me with sunburn before where it started itching so badly I couldnt sleep, I must have slept about an hour last night at most.

Apparently this is a normal side effect of sunburn because of the skin being so dry and the cure is to drink lots of water and rub aloe vera moisturiser onto the spot.

Does anyone else get this itching with sunburn? First time it ever happened to me.

It was only 21 degrees on sunday and I was only out side for about 2 - 3 hours when I got kissed by the sun, so just a word of warning it doesnt matter how hot it is outside, as long as the sun is out the danger is always there. So remember to always top up your sun screen and keep a bottle with you if possible.

Iccz

Temperature is always the deceptive thing which gets people burnt, especially after the winter months where the skin hasn't been subject to a lot of UV rays, thats why people who holiday in the sunny places in later winter/early spring tend to burn a bit easier.

I've heard a good thing for burnt skin is Aloe Vera, I don't actually know as i've never been sunburnt before somehow.

Was out in the sun on Saturday for about 5/6 hours and i've barely even tanned :thumbsdow

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
You also burn quicker when it is overcast and when near water because the UV rays are more dispersed.

Jenn

Novice Member
You could try the Nivea After Sun cooling spray and Nivea After sun moisturising lotion, it's very pleasant and soothing.

kopchoir

Banned
I also along with the wife got burnt something rotten on Monday both using aloe vera from the fridge feels really good.

We creamed up our little girl but stupidly forgot about the 2 of us :suicide:

Had a good day though id take a bit of sunburn for a day out the house went to cartmel races if anyone has never been i highly recommend it

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Forget the Aloe Vera creams...go and buy a plant and chop it's leaves (?) off...rub the goo directly onto the affected areas, I use it for sunburn, eczema, cuts, practically everything to make skin better...it is amazing stuff!

Dony

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you have a form of prickly heat. I get it really bad, and it doesn't have to be that sunny for it to flare up.

Once the itch starts, it's impossible not to scratch and then small blisters appear (like nettle stings). Before I knew how to deal with it, I would wear socks on my hands at night otherwise I'd rip my arms to shreds.

Have you started any medication recently? I'm currently having tests done to see if it's the medication I take for an arthritis condition that's causing it.

If it continues, speak to your GP and see if you can be referred to a dermatologist.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you have a form of prickly heat. I get it really bad, and it doesn't have to be that sunny for it to flare up.

Once the itch starts, it's impossible not to scratch and then small blisters appear (like nettle stings). Before I knew how to deal with it, I would wear socks on my hands at night otherwise I'd rip my arms to shreds.

Have you started any medication recently? I'm currently having tests done to see if it's the medication I take for an arthritis condition that's causing it.

If it continues, speak to your GP and see if you can be referred to a dermatologist.

It was to difficult to sleep, its getting better now that the sunburn is fading but man oh man that was an uncomfortable night.

I'll still go to boots on my way home from work and pick up some aloe vera stuff to sooth the last little bit of it away when I get home.

Nope, no medicine dont take anything.

Iccz

It was to difficult to sleep, its getting better now that the sunburn is fading but man oh man that was an uncomfortable night.

I'll still go to boots on my way home from work and pick up some aloe vera stuff to sooth the last little bit of it away when I get home.

Like Dec said, try get a plant if you can, my mum has a couple in the kitchen and often just snaps the end off and uses that to rub on sunburn or anything, being a plant it sustains itself by growing etc.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Like Dec said, try get a plant if you can, my mum has a couple in the kitchen and often just snaps the end off and uses that to rub on sunburn or anything, being a plant it sustains itself by growing etc.

Oh I thought he was just joking hahaha

FZR400RRSP

Banned

Eh?
You don't take medicine?
Not even pain killers?
Aren't most/all medicines derived from plants anyway, at some point?
In which case, what's the difference between taking a paracetamol or rubbing some Aloe Vera on it???

I have a mate refuses to even take paracetamol.
Mentalist can just suffer then, for all I care.:D

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Eh?
You don't take medicine?
Not even pain killers?
Aren't most/all medicines derived from plants anyway, at some point?
In which case, what's the difference between taking a paracetamol or rubbing some Aloe Vera on it???

I have a mate refuses to even take paracetamol.
Mentalist can just suffer then, for all I care.:D

I think he was reffering to perscription medicine like for heart problems, or everyday neccesity stuff, not the paracetomol that you take once every blue moon if you have a head ache

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
I was lying in bed in pain last night and the one thing I kept on thinking was how much more girls are ready for this kind of thing, if I had a girlfriend I would have had 10 different kinds of cream of pain killers.

But nooooooo, another thing I find that helps with sunburn is a luke warm bath with a few teaspoons of bicarbinate of soda help quite a bit too.

IronGiant

Coconut oil is good stuff too. But the aloe vera tip sounds good, does your average garden centre sell them?

Dave

Dony

Distinguished Member
I think he was reffering to perscription medicine like for heart problems, or everyday neccesity stuff, not the paracetomol that you take once every blue moon if you have a head ache

Yeah...I meant were you taking something on a daily basis. One of the side effects of an anti-inflammatory I take is that it can make your skin more sensitive to the sun.

Bursar

Novice Member
I got really badly burnt on the backs of my hands about 15 years ago (long motorbike ride with no gloves on a hot sunny day), and the back of my right hand is now just a big white scar.

As soon as it starts to get warm, it really starts to itch. I just regularly spray it with aftersun to help cool it down and stop the skin from drying out too much.

You can also get cooling leg gel from Body Shop. It's a minty scented gel that really helps, but don't use it on broken skin, as it really stings!

RuddyRoad

Antihistamines can be a good way to settle this sort of rash, like the ones they sell in most supermarkets. A steroid cream available from pharmacies also helps. Of course, anyone wanting medical advice should see a doctor, this is just my general opinion :)

smelly

Novice Member
Milk is better than water for burns (apparently) and my mum always used to say a bath with vinegar was good (never tried it!)

As for me but Elizabeth Ardens 8 hour cream is fantastic (ok, yes, its a woman thing but I've seen the threads on here and you guys use moisturiser and everything!!! :D )

Its a bit of a cult thing and most women use it for cracked lips or dry skin, but its for sores, cuts and burns too. Elizabeth Arden was a chemist and rumour has it that it was the first thing she 'made' and it was used on her horses! It got its name after someone said it cured a cut in 8 hours...

Honestly, trust me, its the business.

Dony

Distinguished Member
As for me but Elizabeth Ardens 8 hour cream is fantastic....

Elizabeth Arden was a chemist and rumour has it that it was the first thing she 'made' and it was used on her horses! It got its name after someone said it cured a cut in 8 hours...

Honestly, trust me, its the business.

Ok..so it works on horses and orangutan's, but what about real people? :confused:

smelly

Novice Member
Ok..so it works on horses and orangutan's, but what about real people? :confused:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Trust me, it must be worth it for us orangutans to persevere using it through all the hair!!!

It'll be a breeze for you mere men.... unless you're like hairy chested like Tom Selleck ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett