1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sun and the Plasma Screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tribeless, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Tribeless

Tribeless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Finally got my first Plasma (Sony 42", non HDTV) up and running - love it. (Wife loves it too, so once HD arrives in New Zealand - about five years - we'll be going to at least 50", perhaps 60" if decent at that time, HDTV Plasma).

But, and I know I've seen it on a thread here somewhere, my Sony's screen will be in the sun about an hour a day over the Winter - is this a problem? (If so, will covering with a blanket help?

Cheers in advance.

2. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure sun will be something plasma screens will eventually be made more resistant to. I don't know about the Sony, but Pioneer use plastic fronts and sunlight(UV) is bad long term for most plastics. You didn't say if it was sun behind window glass, or in the open. A heavy blanket would sure stop sun but could make the whole thing hot like a tea cosy.

If you want something that looks 'pretty' you could try a light curtain fabric with a 'sunbloc' lining- you choose the pattern, even matching your room! If you want a space age techno look, one of those silver film survival blankets would reflect heat and UV.

I've just installed reflective solar film on a conservatory and I'm amazed how much heat/UV gets reflected back. If it's one window, not too prominent on the house and you don't mind a slightly darker tint than the rest, this would be the bees knees. If you forgot to draw the curtains, the film would give you peace of mind - and you get light attenuation.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As the previous poster said, it's the plastic bits that won't like sunlight. The actual glass panel should be OK.