Sumvision N820 - Is it Any Good?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Indiana Jones, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,928
    I currently have a DK 339 Divx Player and at first I thought it was great but lately it has started to stutter on normal DVD playback and it doesnt seem to want to playback any of the newer Divx encoded titles I have tried so I am looking to upgrade to a new DVD player and saw the Sumvision N820 advertised on SVP for a pretty good price and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, whether it is any good?

2. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would also like to know if this player is any good as i'm thinking about getting one of these or building a htpc. Cheers

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,928
    I have just ordered one of these players from SVP and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. If its better than my current player I will be keeping it and if not will send it back, I have a whole load of different discs ready to test on it so will post back with my results.

4. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Please do Indiana Jones any info would be appreciated

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,928
    Recieved it today and it has all the same faults that my current DK 339 has which are no automatic aspect ratio change, certain titles seem to speed up for no reason, for some reason when I playback NTSC titles the very top of the screen is offset creating a blurring effect and it wont playback the newest Divx/XviD encoded titles without stuttering.

I am now thinking about getting the Samsung DVD-P244 as my first dvd player was the Samsung 709 which I was still using right up until I got the DK 339 and it did everything but Divx playback and even if the P244 isnt great at that, at least it will fix the other problems, only downside is that it doesnt seem to have a multi-region hack, at least not one that I can find, hopefully someone can help me with that.

6. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the headsup Indiana, so IYO not worth getting the N820 then? couldn`t be a media problem with yours could it?

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,928
    I am pretty sure it isnt the media as I have been using the same pack of DVDs and CDs for the last few months.

I had alook around and it seems my DK 339 and the Sumvision N820 use the Mediatek chipset which cannot handle "packet bitstream" whatever that is and this results in stuttering playback so the files you want to playback on it might be fine but the newest tv shows I download like Battlestar Galactica and Enterprise stutter so any player using the Mediatek chipset will give me the same problems, that is why I am considering the Samsung 244 as it uses a different type of chipset which will hopefully not give the same problems and it is only £5 more than the Sumvision so is defently worth a look.

8. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    They are the same shows i`ll be wanting to watch so i will have a look at the Samsung 244 you mentioned, if you get it before i do please post your thoughts on it again thanks for sharing your findings and opinions :smashin:

9. easyman

easyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Sumvision N820 from Microdirect UK for £45 inc Vat. It works fine as a DVD player, no difficulties with that aspect of things. The remote is fine but not fantastic style-wise - that's the only real let down. I have tried various Mpegs, DivX and Xvids and all seem to work OK for me. The odd file that I downloaded from t'internet doesn't work but then it's probably a bad encode to start with, and the player wont have all the codecs my PC does. At first I tried a non brand DVD-R disc which worked fine, then a TDK 1-4X DVD+RW disc which also worked fine.

One problem I had was when I had about 500-1000 files in the root of the disc, the unit only showed having read 57 of them or something stupid. Taking a look at Nero options, and not really knowing what to try, I enabled the 'Relax ISO restrictions' - 'Allow morethan 255 characters in path' option and now the unit reads all the files in the root. I had some v long file names in there, and plays through the list automatically :smashin: . It also allows you browse a DVD with folder content too, so you can simply copy your PC stored and grouped music or video straight to disc, and browse it properly.

Overall for the money + DivX/Xvid support = great stuff. There may be units better spec'd and with other goodies, but this does work and has some nice liitle options too, like a graphic EQ display, various EQ surround sound presets, volume control, zoom etc (though zoom always displays the 'zoom' graphic over the move which is annoying :mad: ).

P.S. Have not tried latest DivX codecs - so I don't know about the problems mentioned above.

Finally, the unit, though good for price, will need to be upgraded soon, as the latest DivX codecs as well as others will superceed what this unit can read. Having now delved into the murky waters I see that the best DVD players are the Kiss DP-1500(£140) and the Transgear DVX-500 (£105), which allow you to connect to you PC to view files via an ethernet link, or even wirless!

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I downloaded the new series of BG and they were all jerky on my DK339 but after putting them through MPEG4modifier and using unpack they all play fine.
    Also there seems to be a difference in screen size switching from ntsc to pal output even thought my old phillips widescreen cant play ntsc, only pal and pal60.

Dave.

11. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Samsung P244 is Zoran Vladdis 7 chipset, I'm not sure if it will do packed bitstreams. However its very quick / easy to remove packed bitstream before yur burn your files to CD.

FYI the Yamada 6700 is Mediatek based but is supposed to deal with packed bitsteam.