• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sumvision HDTV 1080p media player wont play my Mov files

paul777

summivision HDTV 1080p media player wont play my Mov files. Is there something i have to do to get the media player to play them. I took it back to the shop and exchanged it over for the same media player but it still wont play my Mov files.
thank you in advance

next010

Distinguished Member
Probably your audio tracks in the MOV files if they aren't AAC, lots of legacy Apple formats out there that are not supported (that also applies to video too but I assume your MOV files are H.264).

On the off chance its a problem with their MOV splitter you could re-package the MOV into an MKV container instead.

MKVtoolnix has a Windows and an OSX version if your on a Mac, just drag and drop the MOV file into the MKVmerge.

If that doesn't work you can use GSdemux, if you install Haali MKV splitter, look in start menu run GSdemux, right click select source point it at the .MOV file and away you go.

paul777

i am on windows mate i downloaded MKVtoolnix its all dll's what do i do? thanks in advance there is no set up exe.
p.s
if i uninstall apple quicktime player and then transfer my mov files to the media player would that work mate

Last edited:

Ian.Jackson

does anyone know why my media player wont play them when it clearly states that it does
.MOV is a media container or envelope. The actual video or audio streams inside the mov envelope can be compressed using 10s of different codecs - making it that there are literally 100s of different .mov formats 'out there'.

Your media player understands X264, mpeg, wmv, mp4 etc. If the mov file contains one of these formats it should play because the player can open the .mov envelope to access the x264 or mp4 stream.

But, for instance, if your .mov contains, oh I don't know, the sorenson v1 codec or VP6 codec say then it probably won't play it because the player never claimed sorenson or VP6 compatibility.

The player will equally refuse to play some types of avi files and FLVs for the same reasons.

So basically you were not lied to; you just asumed that what you read meant that all possible variants of .mov are supported, when what was written should have been read to mean .movs that contain one of the supported compression types that are listed in the blurb will play.

Last edited:

paul777

.MOV is a media container or envelope. The actual video or audio streams inside the mov envelope can be compressed using 10s of different codecs - making it that there are literally 100s of different .mov formats 'out there'.

Your media player understands X264, mpeg, wmv, mp4 etc. If the mov file contains one of these formats it should play because the player can open the .mov envelope to access the x264 or mp4 stream.

But, for instance, if your .mov contains, oh I don't know, the sorenson v1 codec or VP6 codec say then it probably won't play it because the player never claimed sorenson or VP6 compatibility.

The player will equally refuse to play some types of avi files and FLVs for the same reasons.
i dont understand it all but thank you

Ian.Jackson

Don't worry about the detail, just understand that a .mov file is like an envelope: you can put a letter or a post card or even money inside it but is still an envelope.

The player understands how to open certain envelopes ie .mov, avi and mkv files but it may still not understand how to do something with the contents inside the envelope.

So in the letter analogy, it may be able to read letters and postcards but can't handle money.

The player specs tell you which contents will work inside the envelope eg mpeg, x264 etc - the codecs. Other types of content inside a mov envelope were NOT claimed to work.

My guess is you are trying to play a .mov envelope with the equivelent of money in, rather than a letter or postcard.

paul777

yes i i am trying to play a mov file from within an envelope mate thank you for your desription. Bringing me a bit closer to understanding. I am trying to change them with MKVmerge but it doesn't give me what type of output i want when i click on output.

Ian.Jackson

yes i i am trying to play a mov file from within an envelope mate thank you for your desription. Bringing me a bit closer to understanding. I am trying to change them with MKVmerge but it doesn't give me what type of output i want when i click on output.
Download a utility called mediainfo from Sourceforge (free). Use it to get info about the contents of the .mov file you want to play and post it here.

It will tell you what video codec and audio codec the .mov file contains. You'll probably find the video or audio codec isn't one that is supported by your player.

All mkvmerge does is to change the envelope file type from .mov to .mkv. It doesn't convert the actual codec data inside the envelope.

So the file still won't play if the codec inside the mkv envelope is still incompatible with the player. You will need a media file converter not a media file remuxer like mkvmerge to convert the data to a supported codec.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom